The CONTROLLER manages employees in the Accounting office, including the Night Auditors, Purchasing & Receiving and IT. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of Accounting Department. Carries out Director level responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Excellent customer service practices
- Adherence to departmental and property standards and procedures
- Teamwork: Works efficiently and effectively as member of a team; communicates and cooperates with property staff
- Prefer a degree from an accredited university or business college, majoring in accounting or business studies.
- Solid training in all areas of Accounting from A/P, A/R, General Ledger, Credit, Collections, Audit, Inventory Control, Payroll, Budgeting, Costing, P&L preparation and analysis, etc.
- Prepare budgets and projections.
- Strong PC skills including Excel, Word and financial accounting systems.
- Ability to read, write, and verbally communicate effectively and professionally with other business departments, guests, and vendors.
- Ability to diplomatically deal with difficult situations and people, which exhibiting a consistent level of professionalism. Strong organizational, analytical, verbal and written communication skills.
- Display professionalism while setting high standards.
- Strong financial analysis and reviewing profit & loss statements.
- Abilities to inspire, train, and develop people for promotion. Instill a guest service attitude in all employees. Hold strict confidentiality.
- Five or more years of hospitality related financial management and accounting experience. Degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent experience.
- Advanced accounting processes
- Knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles Federal & Local filing requirements
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be proficient in Word and Excel Must have knowledge of financial statements, balance sheets, cash controls
- Must maintain up-to-date knowledge of all licensing requirements
- Must be qualified to administrate 401K plans and other benefit programs
- Must be knowledgeable of all Wage & Hour laws and orders to ensure compliance
- Self-starting personality with an even disposition.
- Maintain a professional appearance and manner at all times.
- Can communicate well with guests.
- Must be willing to "pitch-in" and help co-workers with their job duties and be a team player.
- Must have knowledge of business law; federal, state and local taxes; as well as Department of Labor regulations.
- Must be an organized self-starter, innovative and have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and follow through is a must.
- Must have thorough knowledge of accounting and computer operations and must be comfortable creating financial reports
- Must be able to analyze and resolve issues that come up with regard to all aspects of accounting and finance.
- Direct the financial department, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, auditing, payroll, general accounting, and cashiers.
- Approve all purchases made on behalf of the Hotel within budgetary guidelines.
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and maintained for the protection of the property’s assets against loss or misappropriation.
- Manage all aspects of the labor and expense forecasting and reporting from/to all department heads
- Ensure compliance with contractual agreements and attendant legal documents. Understanding how those documents translate into financial responsibilities and how they may affect both the Property and the Ownership’s financial position.
- Oversee all hotel cash handling operations and procedures. Reconcile all operating bank accounts with each statement.
- Prepare budget and financial forecasts.
- Ensure that all financial reports, budgets, forecasts, and other information required by the company are accurately compiled and submitted within the specified time limits, identifying variances, and making recommendations for improvements as appropriate.
- Review forecasts and budgets prepared in collaboration with hotel management teams to ensure that ownership and the VP/General Manager are provided with guidelines of performance that are both reasonable and achievable.
- Ensure all legal, treasury, and tax documentation is properly maintained and secured, and that all statutory and fiscal reporting requirements are satisfied, which includes any governmental requirements for permits and licenses.
- Act as the company administrator and director of the 401K program in association with company broker and 401K Company authorized representatives.
- Arrange and supervise audits of Hotel's accounts. Maintains files of all contracts, insurance policies, tax reports, expenses, payroll, etc.
- Analyze financial data of operations, in order to advise hotel management and to assist in maintaining an efficient operation.
- Develop and implement financial control procedures and systems; ensure compliance with government regulations and contractual agreements.
- Assume the role of a detail-oriented, professional, well-balanced financial overseer who will be responsible for the timeliness and accuracy of all daily, weekly, monthly, and annual financial information.
- Responsible for hiring and training the property accounting staff.
- Assures all accounting procedures are in compliance with generally accepted accounting procedures and company policies and procedures.
- Ensure comprehensive SOPs are in place for all areas and update to ensure that all are current Successfully lead and perform an advisory or interpretive role.
- Coaches department heads regarding their financial responsibilities and effective financial management techniques.
- Adheres to the highest ethical and business standards, and to the laws of the country, state, county and city in which the property is located.
- Continuously monitor economic, social, financial, technical systems, and governmental trends and policies to ensure the VP/General Manager and Owners are kept fully apprised of any implications that may affect the performance of the hotel or restaurant in meeting its financial obligations.
- Any and all reasonable requests of management