The Palms Hotel & Spa features a "natural gourmet" restaurant and lounge. The hotel features 251 guest rooms boasting impressive views of the ocean, located on the northern, tranquil side of South Beach. The Hotel is currently searching for a Sous Chef to focus mainly in the Restaurant operation.
Become a part of renowned Farm-to-Table team at The Palms Hotel & Spa, a leader in environmentally friendly hospitality, located in the growing mid-beach area. We care about our food, and the health of our guests and our environment.
We use local and organic ingredients to produce high quality meals for our guests at Essensia Restaurant, and focus on healthy, fresh cuisine.
What you will be doing
- This position will lead all culinary kitchen operations, mostly in the Dinner hours.
- Provide training and development to the culinary staff.
- Lead daily kitchen to ensure the proper production of food items and kitchen compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and organize the kitchen in absence of the Exec Chef. Delegate and follow up on assigned objectives.
- Assist the Exec Chef in the creation of menu items, recipe cards and plate presentations. * Assist the Exec Chef in managing food costs and labor productivity according to financial guidelines.
- Assist in the execution of department goals.
- Provide training in food production and equipment usage to the culinary staff within the designated kitchen.
- Ensure that kitchen staff performs according to HACCP, OSHA and sanitation guidelines
- Oversee proper requisition, storage, utilization and inventory of food products.
- Interact with guests and service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and controls on issues relating to Kitchen operations to include reduction of waste, spoilage and breakage; food handling and sanitation; recipe, portion control and specifications etc.
- Control food cost by training kitchen staff on the proper methods of food preparation and handling, by training kitchen, banquet, restaurant and steward associates on how to handle leftover food items, and by making creative use of leftover food.
- Complete or assist with the administrative duties associated with personnel and payroll matters in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all kitchen/steward associates consistently adhere to uniform, grooming and appearance standards.
- Assist with the development and conduct effective training programs to educate staff on specific job skills and quality of service to guests; include proper handling and maintenance of all kitchen equipment.
- Understand and enforce adherence to health department and hotel sanitation and food handling guidelines.
- Maintain effective communication within Kitchen, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns and work to resolve problems. Ensure that kitchen/steward staffs are kept aware of issues relating to food and beverage and general hotel operations.
- Adhere to safety, security and sanitation procedures and assure the same from culinary staff
- Conduct regular inspections of all kitchen/dishwashing areas and coolers to correct deficiencies found during inspection.
- Assist in menu development.
- Other duties may be assigned to assist in the operation
- Sous Chef must have a Culinary school degree, completed apprenticeship or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years culinary experience as a professional Sous Chef.
- Licenses/Certifications: Food Handler's card may be required.
- Experience in high quality hotel or freestanding restaurant desirable.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Excellent food technique and cultural knowledge.
- Ability to plan and execute projects and quantifies results.
- Ability to problem solve and delegate works with proper instructions and follows up.
DFWP / EOE
No relocation benefits offered.