Candidates must be organized and goal orientated, have a solid grasp of basic cooking skills and techniques and have a passion for the culinary arts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Create a great team environment, where the diversity of the individual members is valued. Be there for your team.
• Be passionately involved in the training and development of the team. It is our responsibility.
• Think of the hotel as if you owned it, and how your presence in the culinary department affects the entire guests’ experience.
• Understand and be the driver of the agreed culinary concepts, goals, philosophies and food and beverage directions.
• Create a seamless work environment with the leaders of food and beverage and synergize the team effort, remember we are one team.
• Take ownership and initiate problem solving opportunities. Follow up and hold yourself accountable at all times.
• Be open to suggestions and criticize your own work performance, be a leader and innovator in the industry.
• Cleanliness is to be immaculate, do not wait to clean; show examples and people will follow. Define your cleanliness standards.
• Find a way, be positive, utilize your experiences, and welcome challenging circumstances.
• Remember everything that you say or any interaction that you have with your team will be scrutinized and that it has a positive or negative effect on their lives.
• Participate in hotel sustainability initiatives such as recycling, waste management and employee activities.
• Enliven the 1 Hotels sustainability culture such as ensuring that there is minimum food waste from food preparation, working with chef to create menu items that are sustainable, sourced locally or regionally, and organic.
• Highest standards of food product, sanitation, storage, and handling procedures
• Food product, presentation, and service standards
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Educational and Required Skills:
• Clear fluent conversational English.
• Fluent bilingual technical conversation vocabulary (English/Spanish) would be an asset.
• Ability to provide legible communication. Ability to read and interpret documents such as recipes, memos, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to write routine reports and requisitions.
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Ability to respond to and creatively resolve guest inquiries or complaints.
• Experience in a 4-5 star hotel’s culinary program.
• Passion and respect for food and service.
• Sense of urgency.
• Desire for more knowledge pertaining to the culinary field.
ABOUT 1 HOTELS
As a luxury lifestyle hotel brand inspired by nature, 1 Hotels cultivates the best of eco-conscious design and sustainable architecture, together with extraordinary comfort and an unrivaled level of service. 1 Hotels launched in 2015 with the opening of exclusive properties in Miami’s South Beach and Manhattan’s Central Park. 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge, which opened in February 2017, is the first ground-up build, flagship property for 1 Hotels in Dumbo’s Brooklyn Bridge Park. All 1 Hotels properties are inspired by a simple idea: those that travel the world also care about it. 1 Hotels upholds this vision by channeling nature through design and culinary partnerships, while connecting with the local community and taking sustainable steps to make a big difference.
1 IS ABOUT NATURE - Sustainability and Conservation at 1 Hotels at Central Park
Our goal is to celebrate all that is beautiful, natural and pure ---- and inspire us to live a more natural life. We want 1 Hotels to be the experience that encourages people to live well, do better, and connect with our environment, ourselves and others in a deeper, richer way. We are minimizing the impact to our environment in many different areas like our Ivy Façade by AgroSci Green walls. This green wall on the exterior of the building rise three floors above ground level. There are over 8,000 individual pots and over 24,000 individual plants. Our clothes hangers are made out of recycled paper with soy based ink. We focus on being more than a brand, but a cause.
Additional information can be found at www.1hotels.com.
ABOUT JAMS RESTAURANT
Jams Restaurant, located in the 1 Hotel Central Park and led by James Beard award winning Chef Jonathan Waxman. Jams is based on the model of “California Cuisine” that is rooted in cultivating a safe relationship with the environment, with a committed focus on local, sustainable and organic seasonal produce.
Some benefits of working with us at 1 Hotel Central Park
Our culture is caring and thoughtful, and we deliver good-natured and informed service, perfectly executed to evoke a sense of fulfillment and well-being. As a part of our team, you can look forward to activities that drive your passion for nature such as:
• Retirement planning - a great 401(k)/retirement savings plan
• Work life balance: Paid Time Off, Holidays (Earth Day is a holiday)
• Pre-tax benefits to encourage commuting, and even free bicycle parking
• Annual 8 hours paid to volunteer & hotel organized volunteer opportunities
• Wellness is important - competitive healthcare benefits & delicious, healthy meals - which are free
• Sustainable, beautiful and inspiring work environment - You see and feel nature everywhere in the hotel
• Career advancement, in-house training, cross-training, special projects relating to brand awareness / messaging and education assistance.
1 HOTELS CAREERS.
1 Hotels is created around a simple truth—that we have an impact on nature, and nature has an impact on us.
As part of the 1 Hotels team, you’re welcoming friends, old and new, while connecting them to the community around you. It’s natural and uncomplicated. It’s an opportunity to deliver informed service with a conscience in a way that’s distinctively you.
You’re part of a team comfortable in their own skin and confident in what they do. You’re part of a brand known for doing the right thing. And you’re part of a environment that reflects who you are: good natured, curious, warm, optimistic, and a bit unique.
At the foundation of the 1 Hotels culture lies the idea of doing all the good you can do. This is how we treat each other and our guests. By encouraging all 1 employees to do all the good they can for their colleagues, for nature, the environment, and beyond, we collectively contribute to something that’s greater than ourselves.
It all starts with you, right now. Plant roots at 1—and grow with us.
We seek out friendly, genuine people who share our values and want to join our cause. People who care about the greater good, have a passion for nature and do things like bike to work or occasionally volunteer.
Working in a hotel can be a different job every day. Our ideal people have foresight to anticipate change, learn quickly, work efficiently, and adapt preemptively.
Like any other living thing in nature, people do their best in their native environments. We try to tap people who know their communities inside and out.
We look for people who believe in honest, open communication—as we do. The environment we’re proud to have created encourages individual voices.
WHAT WE OFFER
1 Hotels is an ambitious new hotel brand that’s about respecting nature while bringing out the best in each other and the community.
We support civic-minded behavior with annual paid opportunities to give back.
Work with good-natured, like-minded people. Daily rallies will keep you informed, and our Employee Engagement Program provides feedback opportunities on how we can better our workplace, together.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
We will challenge you, encourage you, teach you, and check-in with you regularly on your career progress. This includes:
• Daily, monthly, and quarterly awards
• Competitive wages
• Complete healthcare benefits
• 15 Paid-Time-Off days
• On-the-job meals
• Retirement advice, benefits, and contribution matching