posted November 14, 2018Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Position Summary: Responsible for generating and booking a high volume of business functions of all types. Solicit sales through assigned accounts, potential new accounts and participation in community organizations, which represent opportunities for new business. Maintain the highest quality of meeting and banquet service.
• Know your work schedule and follow it with a high degree of reliability.
• Work in a cooperative and friendly manner with fellow associates.
• Maintain professional attire and personal hygiene.
• Maintain a clean, neat and orderly work area.
• Read, understand and follow all policies, procedures and practices as stated in the Associate Handbook.
• Inform management promptly of any work-related problems or guest complaints.
• Practice “aggressive hospitality” and provide guest satisfaction.
• Provide for a safe work environment by following all safety and security procedures and rules.
• Comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances as they apply to the hotel, guests and associates.
• Know all emergency procedures (fire, severe weather, bomb threats, guest accidents/illness, etc.).
• Contact individuals and groups either personally, by telephone or by mail to promote, book and/or finalize details of future functions.
• Responsible for obtaining all necessary information concerning company policy and procedures with regard to extension of credit, modes of payment and contracts.
• Responsible for obtaining guarantees and distributing guarantee sheets.
• Supervise completion of necessary paperwork to insure proper inter-hotel communications concerning meeting and banquet functions.
• Obtain pertinent information and offer banquet arrangements (menu, cakes, flowers, setups, music, decorations, entertainment and service) which fulfill the requirements of the occasion.
• Refer demands for major price deviations for important banquets to the Director of Food and Beverage in compliance with hotel policy.
• Make sure that the customer understands all charges before the function and that they have received a written statement regarding those charges (catering contract).
• Obtain the greatest profit possible while staying within the customer’s budget and delivering full value and service.
• Responsible for maintaining a sales quota, as assigned by Director of Sales, which combines personal calls, site inspections and telephone solicitations.
• Maintain and tally weekly and monthly sales reports.
• Be present at functions as requested by client or Director of Sales and act as liaison between customer and banquet staff.
• Obtain referrals for other banquet business.
• Follow up on banquets being held at competitive hotels and secure business for your property.
• Assure that all bookings are in the catering book correctly and that the catering book agrees with contracts and is always up to date.
• Follow and maintain the catering filing and tracing procedures.
• Work closely with the Banquet Manager and the Executive Chef to ensure a well coordinated meeting and banquet operation.
• Work closely with the Director of Food and Beverage to develop and maintain appealing and competitively priced menus for all banquet food and beverage functions.
• Consult with appropriate department heads in the event of a justifiable complaint from a client.
• Follow up to thank the customer for the banquet business, learn of the customer’s satisfaction or complaint so that we can improve our future performance, attempt to re- book for the future and keep up-to-date written files.
• Display a professional attitude at all times while conducting business in the office or in the field in keeping with the organization and hotel standards.
• Perform MOD responsibilities as directed by property policy.
• May perform additional duties as required.
• Previous experience in hotel catering sales or related industry
• Performs all job duties and responsibilities in an honest and ethical manner and in compliance with all laws, regulations, and Company policies.
• Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Excellent communication and public speaking skills.
• Able to communicate accurately and effectively in verbal and written form with guests and associates so as to respond accurately and completely to people to give directions, instructions, information, answer questions and provide service as required.
• Use arithmetic to calculate catering/sales figures.
• Stand, walk or sit for varying lengths of time.
500 N Interstate 35
Austin, TX 78701
254 Room Hotel
Enjoy Texas hospitality at the Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center hotel, blocks from Austin Convention Center, 6th Street, Warehouse Entertainment District, the University of Texas and seven miles from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. Walk to corporations such as Lockheed Martin and Morgan Stanley. Known as the ‘Live Music Capital of the World,’ Austin offers shopping, restaurants and nightlife.
Our rooms and suites feature Serta Perfect Sleeper™ beds, 42-inch TVs, refrigerators, microwaves and coffeemakers. Basic WiFi access is complimentary in guest rooms and public areas. Premium speeds are available for $4.95 a day.
Our hotel in Austin features over 14,000 sq. ft. of event space, including 9,800 sq. ft. of IACC-approved space with catering and event support. The complimentary 24-hour business center offers PrinterOn® remote printing. Dine in our top-floor Austin restaurant Eighteenth Over Austin, visit the 24-hour Pavilion Pantry® for snacks and tone up in our complimentary 24-hour fitness center.