Executive Sous Chef - Princeville Resort, Kauai
A Exec Sous Chef with SH Hotels & Resorts supports the Executive Chef in providing leadership, direction and motivation to the culinary team, ensuring the successful execution of daily department operations and that consistent, high quality product is produced. The Executive Sous Chef oversees the culinary operation in the absence of the Executive Chef and is responsible for all culinary functions, while continually improving guest and team member engagement and maximizing the financial performance of the department.
- Assist the Executive Chef in overseeing all culinary operations, including but not limited to, production, preparation, and presentation of all food and food quality within the hotel;
- Adhere to all health, safety and sanitation standards, ensuring all regulations are being met and held to the highest standards
- Stay informed of market trends and introduce new products and services to drive guest engagement, increase revenue and ensure a competitive position in the market; participate in decision-making of how food should be presented by creating innovative, attractive food displays.
- Train department team members; plan, assign and direct work; reward and discipline team members; address complaints and resolve problems. Provide guidance and direction to subordinates through coaching, counseling, mentoring, and reviewing performance. Empower team members to deliver the ultimate guest experience.
- Utilize interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence and inspire others; advocate sound business decisions; demonstrate honesty and integrity; lead by example; Ensure team member recognition is taking place on all shifts and celebrating their successes and contributions with the entire team.
- Ensure regular, ongoing communication occurs (e.g. daily rallies, divisional/departmental meetings, attendance at regular and ad hoc hotel meetings), observing employee behaviors, providing feedback and rewarding when warranted.
- Ensure proper controls are in place and polices are established and followed by all team members and are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to standard.
- Identify opportunities to optimize performance and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
- Communicate the impact of the department’s operations on the property’s operational and financial goals and objectives to the team; achieve and exceed goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Review guest comments, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas for improvement. Respond to and handle guest opportunities and challenges.
- Min. 4 years Culinary experience required; experience in a leadership position and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience in this or similar field
- Prior experience in menu development
- 1 year prior banquet/catering experience preferred
- Prior luxury experience preferred
- Must be able to read and follow menus and recipes, and compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Creative, able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines. Must be focused, organized and patient in a teaching environment.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate in English
- Strong interpersonal, team member relations and leadership abilities.
- Prior experience working in a union environment preferred
- Flexibility to meet the demands of a 24-hour operation
- Lifting required.
Relocation assistance & temporary housing provided
Compensation: $85-95K, DOE