Purpose: Responsibility for total revenue and yield strategies, implementation and results including group and transient rooms, group food and beverage, meeting room rental, local catering, outlet, and other revenues. Strategies will include market mix, pricing, status, direct sales, marketing, and acquisition status and results. Maximize profitability for the hotel and outstanding quality service for the guests. Accountable to market performance and potential performance as well as budget, forecast, and target goals.
The assistant director of sales will report directly to the Complex Director of Sales and Marketing. Essential Function:
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Participate in the development of business strategies which are aligned with the overall objectives of the hotel:
- Manage all group, transient, and catering/banquet sales activities to maximize revenue for the hotel.
- Monitor status regularly and adjusts strategies as appropriate with the Director of Sales.
Assist the Complex Director of Sales and Marketing in the operation of the Sales department and related areas:
- Prepare, implement and compile data for the strategic sales plan, annual goals, sales and marketing budget, forecasts and other reports as directed/required.
- Aid in the development of rates, group ceilings and deployment strategies through review of competitive data, demand analysis and mix management.
- Recruit, direct, manage, train and counsel sales staff.
- Actively participate in sales presentations, property tours and guest meetings.
- Conduct daily business review meetings, weekly strategic sales meetings, management meetings and other meetings as required/ requested by the Complex Director of Sales and Marketing.
- Manage advertising, public relations and promotional activities.
Create guest satisfaction by providing associates with the training and resources they need to maximize associate engagement, deliver quality results and promote teamwork:
- Participate in the selection, training and development of all Sales associates.
- Communicate and reinforce the vision for exceptional service to associates.
- Ensure that associates provide exceptional genuine hospitality; foster a teamwork environment.
- Coordinate the department's activities with other departments to facilitate increased levels of communication and guest satisfaction.
- Monitor Guest Satisfaction survey scores. Reward associates for positive results; develop and implement action plans to correct deficient areas.
- Seek guest feedback and review management reports in order to develop strategies to improve department and hotel services.
- Attend all department and hotel meetings as necessary.
- Be a leader and a role model to all associates.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as outlined in the Shulte SOPs.
- Perform any other job duties as assigned.
Job Specific Requirements, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written. Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace (English). Bilingual (i.e. Spanish) is preferred.
- Experience with Marriott Sales Systems, specifically CI/TI a plus.
- Familiarity with TravelClick products.
- Familiarity with booking software and travel industry software.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and sales-related skills.
- Must be able to prepare and analyze data and figures, and transcriptions prepared on and generated by computer.
- Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups to managers, clients, guests, and ownership.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that will accommodate the achievement of all business goals and directives.
- Must be able to travel domestically.
- Prior sales experience with negotiated accounts within the luxury hotel segment will be strongly preferred.
- Ensure that guest satisfaction is consistently obtained and maintained.
- Must possess intermediate computer skills. Must be proficient in all Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) programs.
- Demonstrate ability to relate to, communicate with, and motivate associates to sustain high performance and quality levels.
- Ability to make decisions with general policies and procedures available for guidance.
- Ability to apply supervisory/management (soft) skills.
- Prior experience in a unionized hotel setting is preferred.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
PHYSICAL, ENVIRONMENTAL & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in an office environment and throughout the property in all locations. Must be tolerant to varying conditions of noise level, temperature, illumination and air quality. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
(Physical demands commonly associated* with the performance of the functions of this job.)
- Walking and standing are required throughout most of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task. Must be able to sit at a desk for 2-4 hours on occasion.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs. regularly and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, Smart Phones (i.e. iPhone), 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
- Upon employment, all associates are required to fully comply with Schulte Hospitality rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel's facilities. Associates who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management, Tourism, Business Administration or relevant field or experience.