posted April 5, 2019Vespera on Ocean- Autograph Collection Hotel
Executive Chef Job Description
Vespera is a brand new hotel within Marriott's Autograph Collection, located steps from the ocean and central boardwalk in scenic Pismo Beach, California. Vespera will open to the public in Spring, 2019. At the heart of the Vespera Hotel will be a full-service, three-meal, 200+ seat upscale restaurant, with a bar/lounge, patio with unobstructed ocean views, poolside dining, interior banquet space, and an event lawn for private functions. At the center of the restaurant is a custom-designed open kitchen. Vespera's kitchen features a marble-topped chef's pass, wood-fired grill, open hot line, custom garde manger station, rotisserie oven, and a large prep kitchen. The restaurant at Vespera will serve refined classic American fare, with a focus on wood-fired items and local produce.
This position is being recruited by New School (www.newschool.la).
FOOD & BEVERAGE DIRECTOR
The Director of Food & Beverage is responsible for overseeing and managing the overall food & beverage operation at Vespera on Ocean. This includes the restaurant on site, pool bar, banquets & catering and in-room dining for the property. The Director of Food & Beverage will directly supervise the Executive Chef, Restaurant Managers, Banquet Manager and all other food and beverage personnel throughout the property.
• Directly responsible for overseeing all food & beverage operations within the hotel, including: restaurant, catering, banquets, pool outlet and in-room dining.
• Supporting the entire Food and Beverage operation including supervising other areas if necessary, handling special projects, running promotions, handling public relations and marketing.
• Dedicated to excellence, teamwork, and guest satisfaction.
• Developing, training, and providing direction for all staff.
• Involved with all day-to-day functions, including staff management, guest interactions, office administration duties, vendor communications and labor costs related to the food & beverage operation.
• Hire, train, coach and supervise food and beverage managers & team members.
• Listen actively and communicate clearly while interacting with customers and while directing staff activities. Analyze feedback from clients and employees, make judgements and take action to implement suggestions for improvement.
• Maintain working rapport with all Hotel staff for efficient operation and service to customers.
• Following Hotel policies and procedures when interviewing, hiring, areas of discipline, termination and promotion.
• Assisting servers, bussers and host staff in their job duties as necessary.
• Ensuring all opening and closing and running side work is completed on a daily basis.
• Acting as a liaison between kitchen and front of house employees and operations.
• Evaluating work procedures, review standards, identify methods for increasing efficiency or effectiveness, and respond proactively to any needs that have arisen.
• Conducting monthly departmental meetings as well as organizing and conducting pre-shift and departmental meetings communicating pertinent information to the staff, such as house count and menu changes
• Creating a positive environment in which all employees have the ability to maximize their potential.
• Listening to comments, criticisms, and feedback from Guests, employees and other managers to gain an understanding of strength and opportunity to improve personal/hotel performance.
• Responsible for month end inventory.
• Scheduling and directing staff in their work assignments.
• Organizing special events.
• Developing and implement cost saving and profit enhancing measures.
• Monitoring labor costs on a daily basis.
• Ensuring par stock levels are maintained by calculating inventory, ordering and retrieving supplies and stocking shelves.
• Controlling payroll and equipment costs (minimizing loss and misuse).
• Reviewing, identifying and rectifying problem areas, operational concerns, as well as developing policies and procedures.
• Monitoring the cleanliness of the restaurant.
• Establishing clear and precise policy and procedures for the operation in your area. Be prepared to review and modify these procedures when business or guest satisfaction levels warrant.
• Attending weekly manager staff meetings.
• Being knowledgeable in all areas of operations, as well as cover shifts when business warrants.
• Setting position and appearance standards.
• Being a positive role model by maintaining a good safety and attendance record.
• Understanding of hotel and departmental service goals .
• Demonstrating a proactive approach toward achievement of financial and guest service goals.
• Ensuring that all safety and security policies and procedures are followed and immediately correcting and reporting unsafe behavior and conditions.
• Completing and properly processing guest and employee accident or incidents reports.
• Researching existing and potential products and equipment to update and control costs.
• Operating ethically to protect the image of the business.
• Performing duties in accordance with company standards, policies, and guidelines.
• Demonstrating the Evolution Hospitality Values and Guiding Principles.
• Strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate well with staff and management team.
• Ability to manage a diverse workload, prioritize and delegate in a fast-paced environment.
• Must train, coach, and discipline employees.
• Must be able to work with guests and respond immediately and accurately to their needs and requirements.
• Knowledge of proper procedures regarding employee and guest accidents.
• Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers and staff, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy.
• Considerable skill in math and algebraic equations using percentages
• Ability to effectively utilize computer software tools including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel)
• Ability to walk, stand, and/or bend continuously to perform essential job functions.
• Ability to move up to 300 lbs., with wheeled assistance.
• Ability to lift up to 40 lbs., and to lift lighter objects overhead.
• Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
• Ability to see and hear to detect and respond to emergency situations.
• Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, work schedules vary to reflect the business needs of the Hotel.
• Comprehend and use technical or professional language, either written or spoken, to communicate complex ideas.
• Must possess strong communication and listening skills, excellent speaking, reading and writing.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
• Multiple language abilities preferred, fluency in English required.
• Must have a valid alcohol awareness certification and Certified Food Handlers Card.
• CPR certification preferred
• Perform other duties as assigned.
High school education required. Bachelor's degree in Culinary Science or Arts, Hospitality or related certificate is preferred.
Minimum of 3 years of experience as an Food and Beverage Director at a hotel. Minimum of 5 years food service experience, preferably in high-volume food production and executing Modern and Classic American. Must have prior experience as a Director of Operations, Beverage Director, Sommelier or General Manager. Background working in high-end, chef-driven restaurants is strongly preferred.
Licenses or Certificates:
Ability to obtain any governmental required licenses or certificates. For example, CA Food Handler's Card. CPR certification and/or First Aid training preferred.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
About Evolution Hospitality
Headquartered in Orange County, CA, Evolution Hospitality is one of the top privately-owned hotel management companies in the US. Evolution Hospitality has a well-defined vision, a strong sense of values and guiding principles, and a long-range, quality-minded approach to business. From unassuming beginnings with a single property, today Evolution Hospitality is recognized as a first-class operator of hotels.
We are proud to offer candidates a dynamic career, personal growth, a strong tradition of mutual trust, integrity and an opportunity to make an impact on the business. Simply put, it means that it feels a bit different to work here. We are universally driven by our fundamental values and beliefs. At Evolution Hospitality, all associates are selected and evaluated on two criteria equally: results and culture. Honesty and humility are equally important as intellect and ability, and each member of the team embraces the challenge of becoming a better human being, both personally and professionally, as part of the package. Superstars are those individuals that not only create value for the company but also genuinely embrace and live Evolution Hospitality’s unique culture.
Are you ready to evolve? If you are interested in establishing a solid career and taking giant strides in personal growth, Evolution Hospitality is just the family you’re looking for.
Embodying an upscale beach house-inspired design, Vespera on Ocean offers a fun, active, and stylish escape for guests to relax, unwind, and enjoy the best of Pismo Beach. The perfect hub for adventure and excitement we offer a unique blend of East Coast charm with West Coast sensibilities. Designed for the active traveler we provide guests an array of on-site luxuries and activities, including a one-of-a-kind outdoor space featuring a sparkling pool and spa, bar, and event lawn with fire pits. Rooms include elegant interiors, oversized bathrooms, large windows and private balconies overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Whether you are simply traveling through or staying with us, Vespera on Ocean invites you to experience a taste of beach living.