The Controller is to keep the records of the Company in a sound, timely, accurate manner. This employee is responsible for maintaining all needed internal controls and documentation required by Corporate and/or General Manager. This position will oversee the financial functions, accounts payable, credit and collection functions; all automated and management information systems and personnel function of the Accounting Department. The Controller is required to adhere to the mission and values of Widewaters Hotels, LLC.
What you will be doing
- Direct preparation of Operating/Capital budgets and monthly forecasts; establish or recommend to management major economic objectives and policies for hotels.
- Ensure all AP is coded and submitted to the corporate office in a timely manner.
- Ensure all hotel AR group master and customer account billing credit and collections are maintained.
- Prepares hotel’s monthly financials, P&L statements, annual budgets and quarterly reporting of hotel financials.
- Oversee and or conduct daily income audits, cash deposits, credit card reconciliations and balancing hotel income from source of business reports.
- Establishing/maintaining effective internal controls and procedures to safeguard the assets of the company.
- Assist in Monthly F&B inventories, Spa Inventories and month end reconciling of inventories.
- Assist in tech support of PMS and POS system.
- Managing costs (versus forecasts and budget) for Operational, Sales, and Maintenance departments, including review of purchase orders, review and final approval of invoices/expenses and departmental checkbook audits.
- Directing all financial management activities, including basic accounting functions, audit, accounts payable/receivable, payroll services, sales/use tax, capital expenditures, cash management, month end financial close, and budget & forecast preparation and analysis.
- Review & approve bi weekly or weekly payroll for accuracy and assist when needed.
- Participate in Monthly pillar calls.
- Oversee Cost Management Pillar and provide feedback and recommendations to General Manager and Executive Committee on a continuous basis.
- Participate in the hotel Manager on Duty program
- Assist with preparation of weekly pillar reports and provide when in the absence of General Manager.
- Prepare and assist in DOL, Worker’s Compensation, and other audits as required.
- Work directly with AGM/FOM to ensure Night Auditors are reporting information accurately and timely. Reporting structure of Night Auditors may vary per property.
- Assist with training Night Auditors on job functions and responsibilities as needed.
- Review invoices accurately and compare against approved vendor contracts for accuracy to ensure proper billing.
- Provide information and or reports as needed requested from corporate office.
- Support General Manager and hotel financial goals by direct preparation of monthly and annualreports that summarize and forecast hotel’s revenues, expenses, and earning based on past, present,and expected operations.
- Monitor contracts with hotel vendors, and maintain a good working and reporting relationship with all financial institutions, vendors, and the public at large.
- Manage and administer Widewaters Hotels Standard Operating Procedures for Credit Policies, Accounts Receivable, and Accounts Payable. Also ensures that Standard Operating Procedures are in place for all other Accounting functions throughout the hotel and that all staff involved is thoroughly trained and held accountable.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP, uniform systems of hospitality, and Hotel policies and procedures and all applicable laws.
- Ensure that accounts payable are maintained and payments are made in accordance with company policy and ensure clients are properly billed and that required statements are prepared and mailed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ensure the collection and payment of applicable local, state and, governmental VAT, federal taxes and advise management of desirable operational adjustments due to tax code revisions.
- Arrange for audits of hotel’s accounts and prepare reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Supervise the daily activities of the accounting department, schedules work of assigned personnel and ensures processes are implemented and followed.
- Assists General Manager in the development and update of the hotel-level business plan, including forecasting and budgeting of each department and overall business and strategies of the company.
- Assists Corporate Accounting with any “special projects” as assigned and has the ability and understanding to perform any assigned task delegated to associate they supervisor, i.e. processing payroll and all other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to participate in the hotel’s MOD program and on executive committee of the hotel.
- Works with both solid-line and dotted-line supervisors in planning and implementing work and carrying out duties and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field required. Minimum of 3 years’ experience in accounting and at least 2 years’ experience in the hospitality industry.
- CPA or related certification preferred.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the hospitality industry, have a strong financial background, sound administrative skills, well developed management skills, and have demonstrated ability to effectively lead.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess advanced computational ability.
- Must possess advanced Excel skills
- Must possess intermediate computer skills.
- Ability to supervise situations and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
Widewaters Hotels' Mission and Values
Widewaters Hotels' Mission is an innovative hospitality management leader, built on proven pillars of success. We are passionate about delivering exceptional returns for our owners and partners, creating the ultimate guest experience and providing rewarding opportunities for our associates.
Our values guide the way we work with and for our guests, owners & associates. Through Passion, Energy, Attitude, Effort & Work Ethic we have created a vibrant company culture and a compass for our actions.
We appreciate your interest in Widewaters Hotels, LLC. Widewaters Hotels, LLC offers equal opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color religion, age, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics or genetic information, or any other status protected by law.