JOB OVERVIEW: Assign, coordinate, and supervise the set-up and food production areas within the kitchen to maximize productivity and ensure food quality, set-up and service are in accordance with standardized recipes and procedures
REPORTS TO: Sous Chef
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains productions, temperature and waste charts
- Ensures that all menu items are maintained and consistently stocked and rotated
- Stores all foods at correct temperatures
- Ensure all dates and labels are on all food items and using the FIFO system
- Assists with inventory and product requisitioning
- Provides feedback to Sous Chef on quality of incoming goods
- Reports product shortages, equipment issues and safety concerns to Sous Chef
- Utilizes ovens, slow cookers, grills, griddles, broilers, deep fryers, braisers, steam jacketed kettles, ranges, salamanders, steamers, combination-ovens, electric slicers, knives, steam tables and other equipment for ala carte’ food preparation
- Assist in setting up plans and actions to correct any food cost problems, control food waste, loss and usage per standards.
- Prepares hot and cold food items to according to specifications
- Maintains consistency in food presentation and flavor
- Utilizes proper cooking techniques that ensure consistent production results
- Assists Sous Chef in all areas of productions
- Acts in a friendly and professional manner to guests and co-workers
- Maintains a clean, neat and sanitized work area
- Sets up and stocks work station in a self-motivated manner
- Presents a professional, neat and clean appearance at all times
- Ensure kitchen areas are clean and organized per chefs’ instructions, including storing incoming goods, sweeping, mopping and scrubbing
- Cook and prepare all food tickets in a timely manner, as dictated by the point of sale system
- Communicates verbally orders to coworkers to insure that all food is presented at the same time
- Assists Chefs with other tasks as assigned
- Provides feedback to Chefs on guest food concerns
- Communicates ideas to Chefs about methods for better utilization and product planning
- Assist Chefs with on and off property special events
- Attend all associates meetings, come up with sound suggestions on solving associates problems and promote and maintain effective communication between all of the food production areas within the kitchen.
- Turn in the daily and monthly cleaning checklist and practice and strictly enforce the "clean as you go" policy.
- Inspect all work stations including the associates’ cafeteria. Ensure proper set-up for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.
- Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
- Perform any other job related duties as assigned.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience as a line cook for a specialty restaurant or full-service hotel. A culinary degree could be considered equivalent combined with at least 1 year experience as a line cook.
- Must have the ability to communicate in English. Must be able to communicate well with the guests.
- Self-starting personality with an even disposition.
- Maintain a professional appearance and manner at all times.
- Must be willing to “pitch-in” and help co-workers with their job duties and be a team player.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to apply basic supervisory skills to plan, organize, direct, coach, train and discipline employees, as necessary.
- Ability to operate all types of kitchen equipment. Finger/hand dexterity in order to operate food machinery.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise, move goods weighing a maximum of 100 lbs. on a continuous schedule.
- Ability to understand and provide friendly guest service.
- Ability to understand and comply with proper food preparation, cooking, handling and storage.
- Ability to understand and comply with kitchen sanitation, safety and equipment usage.
- Ability to compile facts/figures in a timely manner, identify and investigate issues, and resolve basic matters.
- Ability to operate a phone and other office equipment.
- Attention to details with good organizational and efficient time management skills.
- Consistent professional attitude and behavior with effective listening and communication skills.
- Attention to details, good organizational skills and efficient time management.
- Ability to follow an appropriate course of action based on policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while simultaneously handling competing and changing priorities.
- Ability to satisfy the legal requirements for employment within the jurisdiction.
Working Conditions & Physical Effort
Physical work is a primary part of job. Work is normally performed in an interior hotel environment with equipment and machines. The work involves exposure to extreme temperatures, chemicals, dirt, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. The exposure to hazards or physical risks requires following basic safety precautions and use of applicable protective equipment. Physical requirements include extended standing and walking, climbing, bending, reaching, pulling, pushing, kneeling and lifting up to 50 lbs. While performing job duties, the associate is required to speak, listen and write. The job requires close vision with or without corrective lenses.