posted May 13, 2019The Queen Mary
We are currently looking for an Assistant Director of Human Resources to join our team. This position will report directly to the Director of Human Resources. The Assistant Director of Human Resource is responsible for collaborating, partnering with and supporting the Director of Human Resources with the overall operation of the Human Resources Department to include, but not limited to, staffing, retention, training, benefits administration, leave of absence administration, employee relations, discipline, terminations, union relations, and workers’ compensation. This position assists the Director of Human Resources in assessing organizational needs, developing aligned human resource solutions and implementing strategies in the area of employee relations, compensation and benefits, and recognition, enhancing our already authentic culture.
Developing and protecting the culture of this great property is one of the most critical priorities for the position. This position is tailor-made for someone who is passionate about coaching the team, celebrating success, and fostering a culture that's positive and engaging for our associates.
Our ideal candidate will have experience managing Human Resources as well as experience interacting with a full range of employees (hourly to senior level management).
Crew Member Relations and Engagement (40% of the time)
• Assists in the development of, coordinates, and implements various crew member relations programs and events
• In conjunction of HR Manager, works with crew members of all levels to resolve crew member issues by advising management regarding employment law and compliance, coordinating investigations and recommending the appropriate next steps and/or corrective action
• Participates in the investigation and resolution of complex employee relations issues, anticipate issues whenever possible, and develops, recommends and initiates appropriate steps for resolution
• Coaches supervisors and managers in managing crew member performance issues
• Advises managers and crew members on the interpretation of personnel policies
• Communicates with Director of Human Resources regarding new laws, procedures, liability concerns or other property business to keep him/her informed
• Partners with management to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures , programs and laws
• Recommends crew member relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-crew member relationship and promote a high level of crew member morale and motivation
• Develops and maintains collaborative relationships for maximum effectiveness
• Head of our Employee Engagement Committee, Flagship, which coordinates and executes community, guest service, and employee appreciation events.
• Leads our Associate Opinion Survey data collection, manager relations, and year long efforts to improve our work environment
Workers Compensation and Safety (30% of the time)
• Proactively manages safety and worker’s compensation programs
• Partners in the development and implementation of safety procedures, rules, regulations and loss control prevention programs for property in cooperation with company safety initiatives
• Investigates safety issues by interviewing those involved in the accident/incident to determine causes and recommended solutions
• Manages injury report packets to ensure reporting and documentation meets legal and company requirements
• Provides guidance for managers when there is an injured crew member Maintains open relationship with the clinic
• Monitors and reviews lost-time injuries/illnesses and Workers’ Compensation claims and follows up as necessary
• Monitors claim status and keeps managers up to date on all related claims, leave status and estimated return to work
• Creates and manages return to work programs to return crew members to work as soon as possible (i.e. modified duty, reduced hours, etc.)
• Works closely with Workers’ Compensation carrier to close cases in a timely manner
• Analyzes and trends injuries to effectively manage cost and impact
• Utilizes trend information found in Workers’ Compensation claims to identify safety measures on the ship
• Develops and communicates Workers’ Compensation reports to Executive Committee
• Keeps updated on Workers’ Compensation laws and recommends changes as appropriate
• Responds to BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) request for information
• Manages and coordinates the Monthly Safety Committee to discuss and promote safety throughout the ship
• Creates an atmosphere of safety awareness on the ship
• Creates, updates, and tracks monthly Safety Training Material
• Conducts safety inspections and coordinates safety committee meetings
HR Department Leadership (20%)
• Helping the Human Resources Team reach their full potential by providing learning opportunities, consultation services and individual coaching for personal growth and development
• Provides Consultation to HR Manager on benefits, leave of absence procedures, recruiting, training, and lifecycle management per property and management company expectation and goals
• Serves as the secondary internal contact for crew members and managers, providing instruction and guidance on company leave procedures, policies, and federal and state leave laws
HR Administration (10% of time)
• Works with HR Coordinator to ensure that crew member files are set up and maintained in accordance with company standards and government regulations
• Develops, prepares, generates and analyzes ongoing and ad-hoc special reports pertaining to employee personnel information and data
• Maintains and expands knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal and state laws/regulations affecting human resources management
• Provides information and assistance to crew members regarding personnel issues, benefits, policies, procedures, timeframes, forms, or other issues; responds to routine questions or issues; initiates problem resolution
• Assists Director of Human Resources with specialize projects, including research, data compilation, recommendations for action, etc.
• Performs various human resources functions as required for complete cross-training and cross-functioning of the Human Resources team, including but not limited to recruitment, retention, processing of new hires, orientation, processing of employee action forms and status changes, disciplinary actions, investigations and other human resources functions
• Performs the duties of the Director of Human Resources in the absence of the Director
Preferred & Required Experience:
If you're an experienced, high energy human resource professional and a creative, innovative thinker, you just might be the candidate that we're looking for. In addition, the ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Training, Organizational Development, general business degree or related field
• A minimum of five years’ experience within human resources, preferably with generalist experience and at least 2 years of Human Resources Management experience.
• Must have a broad knowledge of personnel law including fair employment practices, labor relations, workers’ compensation, safety and leaves of absence
• Hotel experience is preferred
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations
• Ability to consistently display courtesy, etiquette, warmth and enthusiasm on the phone and in person
• Ability to handle multiple and changing priorities in a professional manner
• Ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult and emotional issues
• Skill in negotiating and working with labor organizations
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and serve as an advisor and trusted confidant to the leadership team of the hotel
• Analytical skills with demonstrated ability to translate data to insight and then into action
• Ability to use logic to define a problem, collect information, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, interpret information for unique or unfamiliar situations
• Familiarity with benefits administration; both practical implementation and awareness of legal components/requirements
• Experience implementing time-off/leave programs in accordance with the law
• Must possess strong communication and listening skills, excellent speaking, reading and writing skills
• Ability to handle complex issues encountered using knowledge acquired through training and experience
• Demonstrated ability to gain the trust and confidence of managers and employees and influence the organization
• Ability to diagnose organizational issues and implement creative solutions
• Ability to research and analyze various different types of data information
• Strong computer skills including intermediate or above knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
• Multiple language abilities preferred. Fluency in English required and Spanish highly desired
• Ability to communicate clearly and directly
• Track record of working collaboratively with others to achieve desired results.
• Proven leadership and coaching skills with a track record of developing a highly motivated and cross trained group leaders
An Equal Opportunity Employer
About Evolution Hospitality:
Headquartered in Orange County, CA, Evolution Hospitality is one of the top privately-owned hotel management companies in the US. Evolution Hospitality has a well-defined vision, a strong sense of values and guiding principles, and a long-range, quality-minded approach to business. From unassuming beginnings with a single property, today Evolution Hospitality is recognized as a first-class operator of hotels.
We are proud to offer candidates a dynamic career, personal growth, a strong tradition of mutual trust, integrity and an opportunity to make an impact on the business. Simply put, it means that it feels a bit different to work here. We are universally driven by our fundamental values and beliefs. At Evolution Hospitality, all associates are selected and evaluated on two criteria equally: results and culture. Honesty and humility are equally important as intellect and ability, and each member of the team embraces the challenge of becoming a better human being, both personally and professionally, as part of the package. Superstars are those individuals that not only create value for the company but also genuinely embrace and live Evolution Hospitality’s unique culture.
Are you ready to evolve? If you are interested in establishing a solid career and taking giant strides in personal growth, Evolution Hospitality is just the family you’re looking for.
Once a world-class ocean liner, the Queen Mary Hotel offers guests unique accommodations and a wide array of attractions that simply cannot be found anywhere else.
Whether it’s the authentic polished wood paneling, the original 1930s artwork, the Art Deco style or the operable porthole(s), there’s no question that the Queen Mary Hotel is unlike any other Southern California hotel. Each stateroom is unique with its own personality and offers a real glimpse into what transatlantic travel was like during the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. With an impressive history and tradition of excellence, the Queen Mary Hotel is more than a place to rest one’s head – it’s an entire experience.
From historic tours, to paranormal attractions, shops, spa and various events, there are a wide variety of things to do and see while aboard the ship. We hope you enjoy your stay aboard the Queen Mary and take advantage of all the wonderful sites, sounds and tastes, the ship has to offer.