In-house paralegal position within the Legal Department supporting and working with the Development lawyers in the Development & Real Estate group providing effective legal support to business partners. The role includes drafting, reviewing and revising various contracts (including management, franchise and ancillary agreements) and liaising with outside counsel (as and when appropriate) in accordance with established guidelines and engagement
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
With thousands of hotels in over 100 countries and territories, Hilton offers countless opportunities to delight. From an open door to a welcoming smile and an exceptional experience, we offer the millions of travellers who stay with us every year a welcome they will never forget. If you appreciate the impact global travel can have on the world you may be just the person we are looking for to work as a Hilton Team Member. Because it’s with Hilton where we never forget the reason we're here: to delight our guests, Team Members, and owners alike.
What will I be doing?
• Draft, review and revise various contracts (including management, franchise and ancillary agreements)
• Review and recommend changes to standard forms and other contracts
• Assist in implementing additional self-service programs and legal guidance for business partners to help themselves on recurring matters wherever possible.
• Co-ordinate the collation of all documentation required to complete and execute agreements (such as contract annexes), including the production of execution copies
• Supporting the organisation’s regional franchise administration systems
• Assist in establishing, maintaining and distributing a library of precedent documents for the Development and Real Estate group
• Establish and maintain renewals system for expiration dates under contracts and organising and exercising renewal rights, documenting opening dates & contract commencement dates
• Point of contact for questions and issues regarding franchise and management agreements
• Assist in the preparation of training, presentations and ad-hoc reports and organisation-wide corporate projects
• Work with the standard systems and procedures of the organisation as required
• Coordination and completion of weekly and other reports
• Support any due diligence investigations and reviews
• Update internal databases such as Team Connect, GMFAR, PIM, Team Sites and Development FTP Site
• Use Legal Department dedicated systems and other systems, including OnQ resources, electronic billing system, electronic filing system, contract management system and others as required
• Assist in the development and implementation of plans to prioritise, organise and accomplish project/department goals
• Help ensure stakeholders are informed and decisions are made at appropriate authority levels
• Research and respond to information requests from internal departments and from management
• Engage outside counsel resources and liaise with outside counsel (as and when appropriate) and conduct effective management of outside counsel of varying levels across numerous regions in accordance with established budgets and engagement policies
• Participate in various department initiatives to support the company’s Purpose platform
What are we looking for?
• Exceptional critical thinking and both quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, with the ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions to problems
• Ability to understand complex legal concepts and relay them in persuasive, simple terms to business partners to enable informed decision-making
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and decision making skills to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and to provide recommendations for optimal solutions
• Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions, even among seemingly unrelated events
• Absolute discretion and confidentiality regarding sensitive information
• Ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle multiple, concurrent demands and appropriately prioritise responsibilities.
• Proficient in Legal Department databases, with the ability to quickly learn new programs when required
• Effective communication and comprehension skills, with the ability to clearly and concisely express ideas both verbally and in writing
• Developed and demonstrable legal drafting skills and legal analysis
• Comfortable working with legal professionals (both in-house and in private practice), including solicitors and partners
• Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion with supporting guidance from the Development lawyers
• Experienced at negotiating contracts
• Keen attention to detail
• Ability to obtain/review/implement local law advice from a variety of jurisdictions with different legal systems with supporting guidance from the Development lawyers
• Experience of working in a large organisation with the ability to co-ordinate with different offices and functions
• Establishes and maintains productive working relationships with key internal and external partners
• Strict compliance with applicable laws, company policies and the highest standards of professional responsibility, ethics and integrity
• Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage details through to completion and ensure project deadlines are met
• Ability to demonstrate and exemplify hospitable service skills appropriate to the hospitality industry.
• Assertive, resilient and patient
• Able to work alone and as part of a small professional team
• Strong commercial awareness
• Pragmatic work style; takes initiative
• Ability and desire to take responsibility and act in a fast paced environment
At least one of the following:
- Law degree from a ‘common law’ jurisdiction (or equivalent professional training)
- Completion of the Legal Practice Course or Bar Vocational Course (or equivalent professional training)
- Experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department as a paralegal (or equivalent position)
• Commercial law experience, including drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and understanding of corporate structures
• Strong IT skills and numerically literate
• Proficient in carrying out legal research
• Ability to travel when required to do so
• The preferred candidate would have either of the first two qualifications detailed (or equivalent) AND would also have experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
• Understanding of hotel sector and hotel operations in particular.
What benefits will I receive?
Your benefits will include a competitive starting salary and holiday entitlement. As an employee you will become a member of the Go Hilton Team Member Travel Program, which provides reduced hotel room rates for you, your family & friends! We look forward to explaining in detail the range of excellent benefits that you would expect from a global hotel organization like Hilton.