Parks Hospitality Group is seeking a highly enthusiastic hotelier to join our team as the opening Operations Manager for the new build Tru by Hilton Burlington. The hotel is scheduled to open late 2019 and offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work with a "service first" company with future growth opportunities.
The Tru by Hilton Burlington will have 101 guestrooms featuring essential business amenities including Hilton’s four-zone lobby with work spaces, in-room entertainment, a 24/7 market, and a modern fitness center. The Tru by Hilton’s mantra is to offer these great amenities while remaining grounded in value. The hotel is ideally located close to Elon University and Downtown Burlington.
The Operations Manager is responsible for assisting the General Manager in directing and overseeing all operational activities and departments in the hotel to maximize revenue and deliver a positive experience and exceptional customer service for the guests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide exceptional customer service to all hotel guests, making their stay as comfortable and accommodating as possible while achieving team and brand goals.
- Perform quality assurance (QA) requirements for department.
- Ensures that all policies, procedures, federal, state and local ordinances with regard to personnel, security, cash handling, guest relations and safety are followed.
- Assists the General Manager in directing and overseeing all operational activities and departments in the hotel to maximize revenue and deliver a positive experience and exceptional customer service for the guests.
- Basic knowledge of how to solve Front Office equipment problems and/or who to contact for resolutions. Ability to perform all Front Office duties.
- Receives, records, and acts on guest complaints and grievances, as well as compliments and commendations.
- Handle disputed charges by guests courteously following proper procedures.
- Set clear expectations for team members; post and update.
- Maintain complete working knowledge of Front Desk/Night Audit procedures and provide training to employees as needed.
- Maintain complete knowledge of hotel systems and operations.
- Hire, train and develop all hotel team members with the assistance of the General Manager.
- Ensure orientation for new team members is thorough and completed in a timely fashion.
- Prepare weekly work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet the business demands.
- Reconcile daily time records to determine actual hours worked differential rates and hours to be charged to another department; resolve discrepancies with respective manager.
- Keeps department overtime costs to an absolute minimum (obtains property manager approval prior to authorizing overtime). Maintains productivity and labor cost goals.
- Insure all required training is complete according to standards.
- Create a hotel environment that emphasizes motivation, empowerment, teamwork and a passion for providing exceptional service.
- Recognize good team performance on a continuous basis through reward and recognition programs.
- Audit property daily, noting positives and deficiencies. Follow-up with team to assess training requirements.
- Monitor staff performance in all phases of job functions ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Communicates, updates, and trains all department staff in the safety/security/emergency procedures of the hotel.
- Serve as acting General Manager in the General Manager’s absence.
- Perform other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school graduate.
- Ability to communicate in English with guests/visitors/vendors and hotel staff to their understanding.
- Working knowledge of all hotel departments.
- Ability to provide legible communication.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to apply good judgment to carry out instructions.
- Knowledge of basic government labor regulations.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and cost controls.
- Ability to compute mathematical calculations.
- Knowledgeable of the property management system.
- Knowledgeable of basic accounting principles and procedures.
- Some college.
- Minimum 1+year(s) of management experience in the hospitality industry.
- Experience with business computers / technology.
- Fluency in a second language, preferably Spanish.
- Familiarity with preparing statistical reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to deal with management, associates, guests, and general public in a courteous, tactful and patient manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, telephone, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-pace, high energy and demanding work environment.
- Good, understanding of revenue generation and profit/loss implications.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with attention to detail, speed, accuracy, follow-through, courtesy, cooperativeness and work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to endure abundant physical movements in carrying out job duties.
- Ability to enforce hotel's standards, policies and procedures with staff.
- Ability to ensure security and confidentiality of pertinent hotel, guest and employee data.
- Ability to use business computer systems effectively.
- Ability to achieve and maintain required performance ratings.
- Ability to work as a team player with all levels of hotel staff.
- Excellent guest relation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skins needed to cultivate customer relations and work with associates of various levels and backgrounds.
- Dedicated, hard-working, self-motivated to work independently with little guidance.
- Practice safety standards at all times.
- The hotel operates 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Weekly work schedule may vary and will fluctuate based on business demand. The Assistant General Manager must maintain a flexible schedule and be readily available.
- Adherence to all PHG, Hotel Brand, State and local Safety Guidelines including but limited to use of non-slip shoes, utilization of back brace when lifting heavy items, etc.
- Associates are expected to carry out all reasonable requests by team leaders and managers and act as a team player with all levels of staff.
- Ability to provide excellent guest relation skills that meet and exceed guest expectations.
- Adhere to requirements, policies, and procedures as outlined in Employee Handbook and/or other property documents.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to perform major life activities: standing, lifting, bending, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking and communicating.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; regularly use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand (up to 8 hours daily), walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Employee is required to wear a Safety Support Belt when lifting any weight over 25 pounds.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
About Parks Hospitality Group . . . We are a family owned company based in Raleigh, NC focused on developing, owning and managing successful hotels. Parks Hospitality Group owns and manages eight hotels in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee with locations in Raleigh/Cary, Burlington, Greenville (SC), Nashville, and Asheville. We are proud franchise partners with Hilton Worldwide, Marriott International, Starwood Hotels and Hyatt and currently have multiple projects in our developmental pipeline. To learn more, please visit www.parkshotels.com.