Sacramento Marriott Rancho Cordova is seeking a Sous Chef to join our great team and enjoy all the benefits of our exciting hotel environment.
The Sacramento Marriott Rancho Cordova provides equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.
Responsible for the entire operation of the Formaggio & Banquets kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef. Responsible for the overall operation of food production for Formaggio & Banquets to include, but not limited to, maintaining food quality and presentation standards, training of cooks, control of food safety and employee duties.
Associate will be required to work day/and or evening shifts, both weekdays and weekends if necessary.
- Must have 3-5 years line cook experience in an upscale restaurant.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- Culinary degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Relevant military experience in a comparable capacity.
- Understand the mission, vision and game plan of the hotel.
- Strong leadership skills and has the ability to apply them.
- Establish goals and objectives to improve the department.
- Ability to understand Guests’ service needs.
- Ability to be well organized, maintain concentration and complete all work assigned.
- Ability to focus attention to performance of tasks despite frequent, stressful or unusual interruptions.
- Ability to converse calmly with irate Guests’, co-workers or supervisors in sometimes tense situations.
- Ability to perform job functions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work cohesively with co-workers and other departments as part of a team. Ability to build morale and spirit.
- Ability to adhere to work schedule and arrive on time in a neat and alert condition and adhere to company dress standards.
- Ability to follow all appropriate policies and procedures while constantly striving to improve all standards of operation.
- Ability to meet or exceed productivity and performance standards and complete tasks as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Ability to take and give direction.
- Ability to interact with people beyond giving and receiving instructions, particularly in resolving complaints and problems.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Formaggio & Banquets kitchen operations.
- Know all menu items and enforce the proper preparation and presentation on all items daily.
- Know all procedures and menus for all meal periods, breakfast, Sunday Brunch, lunch and dinner. Know all breakfast buffet & Sunday Brunch procedures and occasionally work with the buffet cook to train him/her and ensure quality.
- Place the proper orders for supplies as directed by the Executive Chef. Maintain the proper pars of all items.
- Food Safety:
- Maintain all food safety procedures as required by Sacramento County and by Marriott standards.
- Keep proper usage, cooling and reheating records.
- Take ownership of the cleanliness of the Formaggio & Banquets kitchen and the condition of the walk-ins.
- Must take the Servsafe course and pass the test to be certified.
- Assist the Executive Chef in the control of food and labor costs. Control the amount of prep done. Send cooks home when they are not needed.
- Staff Management
- Hold a pre-shift meeting with staff prior to reporting to stations in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Be prepared for each daily activity and review any variations with management and staff. Ensure correct staffing during peak periods and high occupancy.
- Plan, assign and direct work of associates.
- Monitor the performance of associates on an on-going basis and provide feedback. Write performance reviews for staff members supervised with input from the Executive Chef. Reward, discipline and document associate performance and provide timely counseling. Address associate complaints and resolve problems.
- Properly handle all administrative work with regard to interviewing, hiring, performance appraisals and terminations of staff.
- Select qualified, goal and service oriented individuals and develop these individuals with clear guidelines to associates.
- Ensure staff is properly groomed and uniformed at all times.
- Ensure work area cleanliness is maintained at all times.
- Prepare and post weekly schedules in accordance to guest needs and staff availability in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Maintain efficiency in the operation of the staff in a high standard of quality of service and courtesy, bringing total satisfaction to our guests and the hotel.
- Conduct frequent hospitality audits to ensure the staff are conducting themselves in the manner appropriate for the department. Ensure Service Excellence Standards are in place.
- Be a Team Player and encourage the teamwork attitude among staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Hotel policy and applicable laws.
- Prepare payroll on a daily basis.
- Promote open channels of communication between all hotel departments.
- Assist the Executive Chef in the training all new employees, and on going training of existing employees, including cross training for all positions. Use employee training documentation to record all areas of training completed and turn them into Human Resources to be included in the employee file.
- Ensure all associates are safety conscious and trained in safe work practices.
- Have a thorough knowledge of and comply with hotel fire regulations and policy, accident reports, safety programs, and what the direct duties are in relation to each; ensure that all associates are properly trained in these procedures.
- Assist Executive Chef in holding department meetings and attend inter-departmental meetings in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Be familiar with the operating procedures of all other areas of the hotel, cooperating fully and in a friendly manner with those areas to assure customer satisfaction.
- Route associate commendations received from guests to the person responsible for assembling the daily packet newsletter.
- Notify management of any pertinent information related to shift activities.
- Follow supervisor’s instructions and completes other duties as directed or assigned.
- Assist in safety and maintenance by tracking items in GXI for relevant department.
SECONDARY JOB DUTIES
- Conduct inspections of work areas regularly and address items that need attention.
- Monitor departmental, payroll and supply expenses in accordance with budgetary goals.
- Determine the requirements for and the follow up on special groups, VIPs, etc.
- Maintain close control and inventory of uniforms, supplies, and equipment.
Safety Requirements: slip resistant shoes.
Exposure to chemicals, noise, vibrations: Exposure to basic cleaning supplies; moderate noise conditions of a kitchen.
Operation of equipment/tools/vehicles: Equipment to include computers and printers, 10 key calculator, telephone, fax, copier, etc.; occasionally will drive company van.
Work is mostly indoors, protected from weather, but not necessarily inside temperature changes. Some work is outdoors and/or at off-site facilities.
The Sacramento Marriott is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call 916-267-6715 to let us know the nature of your request.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.