The Company operates 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, so operational demands require variations in shift days, starting and ending times, and hours worked in a week.
The Sous Chef’s main focus is to manage and supervise the day-to-day operations in a hotel kitchen to ensure the provision of quality products and service to our guest. Responsible for all food production. Assist with developing menus, food purchase specifications and recipes. Supervise, direct, and develop staff, including stewards. Develop and monitor food and labor budget for the department. Maintain highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints; participate in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
- Interview, select, train, supervise, counsel and discipline all employees in the department.
- Provide, develop, train, and maintain a professional work force.
- Ensure all services to members are conducted in a highly professional and efficient manner.
- Ensure a safe working environment and attitude on the part of all employees in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Assist in the management and training of the kitchen staff including banquet functions and other areas if necessary.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Make periodic and regular inspections of units to observe quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance.
- Coordinate all training activities for kitchen and other production and service employees to include the identification and analysis of training needs and the design and implementation of programs to address these deficiencies.
- Assist operation managers as requested in areas such as plate presentation, special function menu planning and the design of new service areas.
- Prepare operational reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Plans menus for all food outlets and events.
- Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and within budgeted labor cost goals. Controls payroll and equipment cost (minimizing loss and misuse)
- Approves the requisition of products and other necessary food supplies.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation, and accident prevention principles.
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.
- Consults with the Food & Beverage staff regarding food production aspects of special events being planned.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Interacts with food and beverage management to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests.
- In conjunction with F&B management team, assist in maintaining a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards.
- Evaluates products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met.
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Provides training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff.
- Ensures that representatives from the kitchen attend service lineups and meetings.
- Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome members.
- Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Participate in task forces and committees as requested.
- Consistent professional and positive attitude and actions when communicating with guests and associates.
- Ensure maintenance problems are promptly reported through proper channels.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Practice safe work habits and comply with sanitary, safety, security and emergency procedures.
- Write shift reports including reports on any incidents of theft, accidents or injuries when assigned.
- Check with manager/supervisor before leaving work area for any reason.
- On time and at work when scheduled, and in proper uniform.
- Attend department meetings as scheduled.
- Respond to guest requests, concerns and problems to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Report any incidents of guest dissatisfaction or other matters of significance to manager so that corrective measures may be taken.
- Any other tasks/duties as requested by management.
The Company may consider equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience providing the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below.
Education and Experience
- Associate's degree with major concentration in food and beverage preparation, management, nutrition or related field; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 4 years progressive experience in high volume food production or catering. Knowledge of Food & Beverage operations including foods, supervisory aspects, service techniques and guest/associate interaction.
- Familiarity with hospitality industry practices preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interact positively with supervisor, management, coworkers, members, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality.
- Ability to come to work regularly and on time, to follow directions, to take criticism, to get along with co-workers and supervisors, and to treat co-workers, supervisors, and guests with respect and courtesy.
- Ability to communicate explicitly in English, both verbal and written with guest and associates
- Attention to details, good organizational skills and efficient time management.
- Ability to follow an appropriate course of action based on policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while simultaneously handling competing and changing priorities.
- Ability to satisfy the legal requirements for employment within the jurisdiction.
Working Conditions & Physical Effort
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, sit, and stand. The employee is occasionally required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is usually indoors, in a semi-controlled environment, and experiences a moderate to high noise level in the work environment.