posted November 14, 2019Marriott International
Marriott International, Inc. is the world's largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland, with more than 7,000 properties and 30 brands in 130 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties. Marriott’s Law Department services the Company's lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriott’s internal clients. The Americas Development and Corporate Affairs Group of Marriott International deals with the development of all owned, managed and franchised lodging brands in the Marriott system in the U.S. and Canada, as well as corporate transactions (including mergers and acquisitions), finance and governance for the entire company.
This attorney position is part of the Corporate Transactions & North America Hotel Development group and will be on the North America Managed Hotel Development team. This position will focus on providing legal services in all phases of Marriott’s owned or managed development projects throughout the region and will handle a broad array of topics, including real estate development, debt and equity financing and guarantees, joint ventures and residential licensing.
This position reports to the Vice President and Assistant General Counsel – North America Managed Hotel Development who is responsible for corporate owned real estate and the Managed Development Group.
Specific Job Summary and Expected Contributions
Provides legal services for the acquisition, disposition, development, and financing of new lodging and residential products, including:
Successful candidates should possess the experience, knowledge, and skills as follows:
· Excellent academic record with a law degree from a top law school;
· Minimum of 5 years legal experience, preferably transactional experience;
· Active Bar membership;
· Familiarity with real estate acquisition, financing and development techniques and practices required;
· Independent and creative thinker with the ability to manage, structure, negotiate, and execute multiple complex transactions;
· Ability to draft hotel management, lease, and related agreements;
· Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
· Ability to work under stressful conditions with owners, lenders, and partners of properties in financial distress;
· Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels;
· Ability to foster relationships and individual accountability across the organization;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Excellent conflict management skills and ability to influence without coercion;
· Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and to facilitate the implementation of creative solutions;
· Ability to work independently, take ownership of and effectively resolve problems; and
· Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
It means feeling the power of belonging. We feel it each and every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Marriott International sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do. It's why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career.
We believe our strength is rooted in our five core values:
These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 travel company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. We are constantly innovating and evolving, but we'll always stay true to who we are, because we believe the way we do business is as important as the business we do.