The Assistant Director of Engineering will assist and collaborate with the Chief Engineer to develop maintenance related programs, processes and standards. The main focus of the role will be to strategically manage the daily operations of the department with a pro-active approach and gracious attitude. Manages all engineering/maintenance operations, including maintaining the building, grounds and physical plant with particular attention towards safety, security and asset protection. Accountable for managing the budget, capital expenditure projects, preventative maintenance and energy conservation.
- This position has 28 hourly reports.
- You will be responsible for supervision of employee performance and developmental coaching. This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- Interview, hire, process references and new hire paperwork to company standard for all accounting staff in compliance with state and federal laws and company policy.
- This position sets specific goals and objectives for all the employees supervised. Establishes and communicates performance criteria to all employees. Establishes and reinforces specific performance goals with subordinate employees and provides timely feedback.
- Formally reviews and evaluates performance goals and objectives on a regular basis of all employees under your supervision.
- When appropriate and needed, disciplining and creating performance improvement plans for employees, and when necessary terminating employees under your supervision for performance related issues.
- Maintain proper staffing levels for all operating departments.
- Schedules staff to business levels and within budget parameters.
- Reviews with managers indirect staff schedules on a weekly basis to ensure business needs and budgeted levels are being met.
- Communicate with team members both verbally and in writing to answer questions and provide clear direction in advising and instructing staff in details of work, policies and procedures and internal controls.
- Provide timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly associates on service and operational standards; including feedback on even the smallest of service and operational details.
- Managing Property Operations and Engineering Budgets
- Assists in managing the physical plant including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, electrical and life safety systems
- Maintains and operates equipment at optimum effectiveness, efficiency and safety.
- Establishes and manages an effective rooms maintenance program.
- Ensures compliance with all Engineering departmental policies, standards and procedures.
- Manages department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Select and order or purchase new equipment, supplies, and furnishings.
- Inspect and evaluate the physical condition of facilities in order to determine the type of work required.
- Recommend or arrange for additional services such as painting, repair work, renovations, and the replacement of furnishings and equipment.
- Supervises the day to day operations of Engineering.
Responsibility During Constructions Phase
- Before hotel opens primary focus will be on Hotel room white box completion and FF&E installation, quality control and room punch process in coordination with the Director of Construction, Chief Engineer, Architect and general Contractor
Maintaining Property Standards
- Maintains accurate logs and records as required.
- Assists in effectively planning, scheduling and evaluating preventative maintenance programs.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
- Handles guest problems and complaints effectively.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality by exemplifying excellent customer service and creating a positive atmosphere for guest relations
- Helps establish priorities for total property maintenance needs.
- Ensures on-going communication occurs in all areas of responsibility to create awareness of business objectives, awareness of expectations and recognition of exemplary performance.
Education & Experience
- 4-year bachelor's degree in Engineering, or related major preferred.
- 3+ years in the role of Assistant Director of Engineering
- 3+ years’ experience as an Assistant Director of Engineering experience at a 500+ room Hotel/Resort
- Extensive knowledge in HVAC, VRF/VRV A/C systems and Mechanical systems experience required
- Brand experience
- Opening Hotel experience preferred
- Demonstrated skills in supervising and leading an operations team to revenue goal achievement
- Hotel industry work experience, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- Must be able to work days, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to walk for long periods of time
- Must be able to sit, walk, bend and stoop throughout day
- Frequently use hands for keyboard and arms to reach.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Able to communicate effectively in English. both verbally and in writing.
- Able to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
We participate in E-Verify