The Chef de Cuisine is responsible for the quality of all menu items being prepared in the restaurant kitchen which also includes in room dining. The Chef de Cuisine is responsible for both menu development and recipe card development. The Chef de Cuisine sets standards of quality and consistency adherence and is responsible for ensuring operating costs are minimized. The Chef de Cuisine works closely with and in collaboration with the Executive Chef and Pastry Chef for menu development and in conjunction with the Executive Steward ensures a high standard of cleanliness and hygienic practice throughout the kitchens.
- Manage directly approximately 13 hourly cooks.
- Responsible for supervision of employee performance and developmental coaching.
- This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- Interview, hire, process references and new hire paperwork to company standard for all direct report staff in compliance with state and federal laws and company policy.
- Sets specific goals and objectives for all the employees supervised and ensure all are met.
- Establishes and communicates performance criteria to all employees.
- Establishes and reinforces specific performance goals with subordinate employees and provides timely feedback.
- Formally review and evaluate performance goals and objectives on a regular basis of all employees under supervision.
- When appropriate and needed, disciplining and creating performance improvement plans for employees, and when necessary terminating employees under your supervision for performance related issues.
- Maintain proper staffing levels for all operating departments.
- Schedules staff to business levels and within budget parameters.
- Reviews with managers indirect staff schedules on a weekly basis to ensure business needs and budgeted levels are being met.
- Communicate with team members both verbally and in writing to answer questions and provide clear direction in advising and instructing in details of work, policies and procedures and internal controls.
Chef De Cuisine Responsibilities
- Order food products according to business demands and establish par levels.
- Create recipe cards and support development of restaurant menus to meet standards.
- Fully understand and comply with all Brand Standards and implement all AAA Four Diamond standards.
- Coordinate food production with the Pastry and Garde Manger kitchens.
- Support other kitchens as needed.
- Ensure all Covid 19, Eco Sure, HD and HACCP standards are being strictly adhered to.
- Responsible for the proper sanitation and cleanliness of all kitchens and food preparation areas, including ovens, grills, stoves, hoods, fryers, preparation slicers, steam kettles, tables, and floor.
- Stay within food cost budget or below.
- Ensure Associates in the culinary department adhere to all sanitation, cleaning, food handling requirements at all times.
- Monitor the food quality and presentation at all meal periods.
- Review data for menu item sales and adjust menus as necessary.
- Create relationships with vendors to allow for a strong resource of all food products coming into the hotel.
- Maintain a good knowledge of current culinary trends and popular concepts.
- Work with the front of house managers to effectively operate the kitchen and time with the front of house service sequence.
- Be a culinary Ambassador, be present with guests, obtain feedback and address any guest issues or concerns as they arise.
- Work with receiving to establish ordering, inspection, delivery and storage procedures.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possible for one (1) hour or more.
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to four (4) hours in length.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other departments of the resort on a timely basis.
- May be required to lift trays of food or food items weighing up to 30 lbs. occasionally.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. frequently.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near and color vision and depth perception.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks occasionally.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- 2-3 years of proven experience as a Sous Chef.
- Hotel industry work experience; demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- Must be able to work days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Food Handlers Card/Safe Serve Certification
- Must possess a high level of creativity and high-quality standards.
- Complete knowledge and understanding of the hospitality industry, purchasing policies and procedures.
- Proficiency working with various computer programs including but not limited to Micros and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven record of organization, detail-oriented, and able to make productive and efficient decisions.
- Should have prior experience with 4 Diamond rated hotel.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
We participate in E-Verify