The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the direct supervision of the Accounting, Procurement and Cash Management Departments. The CFO is responsible for directing the fiscal functions of the Corporation including the strategic and tactical matters as they relate to financial management, cost benefit analysis, business development, forecasting needs and the securing of new funding as needed for growth of the organization.
- Adhere to company Core Values, Policies & Procedures.
- Act as a role model within and outside all of LDC operations.
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude toward customers and co-workers.
- Consistently report to work on time prepared to perform duties of position.
- Actively participate in Management Capacity Program.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Studies long-range economic trends and projects company prospects for future growth in overall sales and market share, opportunities for acquisitions or expansion into new operations. Estimates requirements for capital, land, buildings, and an increase in the work force.
- Supervises investment of funds; liaisons with banks and/or investment bankers to raise additional capital as required.
- Ensure compliance with requirements of laws, regulations, lending agreements, and shareholder agreements/requirements. Report on status of Corporation’s compliance with such.
- Maintain banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- As a Board of Manager of LDC subsidiaries, will actively and directly manage all assigned subsidiary operations.
- Work with the LDC Board of Directors and other officers of the Corporation on the strategic vision including fostering and cultivating stakeholder relationships, as well as assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Assist in performing all tasks necessary to achieve the organization's mission and help execute staff succession and growth plans.
- Participate in developing new business, specifically: identifying new funding opportunities, the drafting of prospective programmatic budgets, and determining cost effectiveness of prospective service delivery.
- Assess the benefits of all prospective contracts and advise the Executive Team on programmatic design and implementation matters.
- Provide the LDC Board of Directors with an operating budget. Ensure programmatic success through cost analysis support, and compliance with all contractual and programmatic requirements. This includes: 1) interpreting legislative and programmatic rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local and contractual guidelines, 2) ensuring that all government regulations and requirements are disseminated to appropriate personnel, and 3) monitoring compliance.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
- Oversee the information technology goals of the organization including analysis of the current and future needs.
- Oversee all purchasing and payroll activity for staff and participants.
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with U.S. GAAP under a GASB framework.
- Ensure adequate cash flow to meet the organization's needs.
- Investigate cost-effective benefit plans and other fringe benefits which the organization may offer employees and potential employees with the goal of attracting and retaining qualified individuals.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and timely calculations of wage incentives and salaries for the staff.
- Oversee the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Work effectively with the general public and staff.
- Work efficiently and accurately in an atmosphere of frequent interruptions
- Maintain excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to exercise tact, courtesy and initiative in handling routine problems
- Maintain a strong motivational commitment to the Laguna Development Corporation.
- Develop credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the CEO, the Board and other senior executives in performing their responsibilities.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the corporation.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization and with the Board as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline.
- Continual improvement of the budgeting process through education of department managers on financial issues impacting department budgets.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization; i.e., evaluation of potential alliances acquisitions and/or mergers and investments.
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
- Be an advisor from the financial perspective on any contracts into which the corporation may enter.
- Evaluate the finance division structure and team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth with emphasis on opportunities (where possible) of individuals.
- Actively participate in LDC’s Management Capacity Program (MCP).
- Build relationships and loyalty with guests through sincere and meaningful interactions (e.g., learn guests’ names and preferences; connect with them individually and professionally; smile; make eye contact and verbally greet guests from arrival to the property through departure; and provide fast and friendly service to guests).
- Be a team player (e.g., work toward team goals and foster a collaborative and positive work environment; put the team first; assist coworkers; treat all coworkers with kindness, courtesy and respect; never engage in negativity; maintain openness to coaching, learning and improving; receptive to change and willingness to embrace challenges with team-spirit).
- Develop a thorough knowledge of services, room locations, amenities, surroundings, providing accurate directions, and information for guest inquiries about promotions and special events.
- At all times maintain a courteous, positive and professional working relationship with all LDC personnel and the general public (e.g., coworkers, clients and vendors).
- Work under pressure; maintain regular and punctual attendance including working odd and unusual hours, weekends and holidays.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as necessary or assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, accounting, or finance or related field, Master degree preferred.
- 10-15 years experience reporting under the requirement of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) with equal experience adhering to financial reporting standards established by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- 10-15 years work experience, preferably in the hospitality/gaming industry, and demonstration of executive competencies:
- EBITDA responsibilities;
- Decision making;
- Strategic thinking;
- Ability to influence;
- Vision & Alignment;
- Exceptional motivation skills; and
- Outstanding communication (verbal & written) skills.
Licensing & Certification
- C.P.A. designation required.
- This position is responsible for the direct supervision of the Corporate Controller and Director of Procurement/Associate Counsel and the indirect supervision of all employees in the these specific departments including site accounting and site procurement oversight.
- This position is part of senior executive team and is responsible for the performance management and input regarding hiring and retention of senior-level management.
Computer Equipment, Software, Machinery
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Kronos (timekeeping software) and Paramount (purchasing software).
- Proficient with Sage 100 ERP (accounting software).
Essential Physical Requirements
- Requires employee to hear, sit, talk, and read the 51-100% of the time.
- Requires employee to stand, walk, drive, and repetitive use hands less than 25% of the time.
- Balancing/climbing, bending over, crawling, crouching/stooping, kneeling, reaching overhead, turning twisting, pushing/pulling, lifting, carrying 150+lbs 0% of the time.
Essential Mental Demands
- Requires the ability to solve problems, organize, plan, make decisions, interpret data, read and write 90-100% of the time.
Work Environment (Inside/Outside)
- Duties are performed in a professional office environment. Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel is expected.
- Obtain and maintain a gaming license through the Pueblo of Laguna’s Gaming Control Board and multiple state licensing districts.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must pass a pre-employment alcohol/drug screening.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.