Legacy Ventures Hotels has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Chief Engineer to open a brand-new property! The perfect candidate will have strong organizational and technical skills and a track record of operational excellence in the maintenance of a hotel asset. They will have the ability to drive results and build a high-performing, heart-led team to deliver compassionate, proactive and impeccable service for medical staff, patient families and other customers.
Summary: Installs, maintains, and repairs machinery, equipment, physical structures, plumbing, and electrical systems in hotel and restaurant and manages the engineering department and security function.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned by a supervisor as needed.
- Manage the Maintenance Department and its associates as well as the hotel’s safety and security function, including but not limited to
- Interview, hire, schedule, train and provide performance feedback for maintenance and security colleagues, whether in-house or contract
- Ensure adherence to all safety and security policies and procedures
- Promote safe work practices. Ensure compliance with OSHA standards and preventative measures
- Respond to maintenance requests received from the housekeeping department and guests within 15 minutes (occupied room) and utilize required system for logging follow up
- Ensure all direct employees are properly trained
- Read incoming correspondence / research / analyze data and trends and disseminate pertinent information to staff members
- Communicate both verbally and in writing to provide clear direction to staff
- Attend and participate in required meetings.
- Operate within established budget guidelines, while managing expenses with appropriate prioritization
- Provide excellent service to internal and external customers, achieving expected targets for Team Opinion Surveys and brand service scores
- Follow all required brand standards and achieve passing or better scores on all Brand Standard Audits
- Manage vendor relationships to ensure timely and accurate service delivery and market or better pricing
- Manage third party contractors, whether doing routine maintenance or in renovation, to ensure timely and accurate work completion, managing costs as appropriate
- Control inventory of property operations related tools and supplies
- Maintain hotel aesthetics (painting, furniture maintenance, prompt repairs, parking lot cleanliness, landscaping, etc.)
- Maintain Preventative Maintenance Program according to standards to maintain physical product, mechanical and other systems, within the rooms to insure they are being kept up to standards on a quarterly basis and for all major equipment as required. Record/maintain the proper documentation. Inspect all work performed by employees or third-party contractors to ensure quality
- Ensure completion of work orders with appropriate sense of urgency and quality
- Understand employee and guest satisfaction feedback / expectations and develop processes and game plans to attack need areas and maintain the structure needed to deliver a positive experience
- Keep a daily maintenance log of all work performed on all areas of the hotel to ensure team productivity, proper workload, proper prioritization of tasks and trends that should be addressed
- Ensure adherence to local, state and federal compliance of all rules and regulations, including OHSA regulations
- Understand, enforce and maintain Fire Alarm system, Life Safety systems and all Emergency Procedures, including delivering training to key personnel. Maintain required record
- Manage snow removal when appropriate
- Maintain HVAC system and all guestroom unit
- Visually inspect and test machinery and equipment
- Listen for unusual sounds from and visually inspect machines or equipment to detect malfunctions, diagnose problems, and ensure proper working order
- Dismantle defective machines and equipment; install new or repaired parts
- Clean and lubricate shafts, bearings, gears, and other parts of machinery
- Install and repair electrical apparatus, such as transformers and wiring, electrical and electronic components of machinery and equipment
- Lay out, assemble, install, and maintain pipe systems and related hydraulic pneumatic equipment, and repair and replace gauges, valves, pressure regulators, and related equipment
- Repair and maintain physical structure of establishment
- Install, program, and repair automated machinery and equipment, such as robots or programmable controllers
- Operate cutting torch or welding equipment to cut or join metal parts
- Fabricate and repairs counters, benches, partitions, and other wooden structures
- Proper uniform, and name tag worn at all times for self and employees
- Interact with internal and external customers in a positive, professional and accommodating manner.
- When coming in contact with a guest, acknowledgment and a pleasant greeting is given at all times. Able to assist guests on in-house outlet information along with local information. When approached by a guest with a problem, associate will have the knowledge to be empowered to assist the guest in resolving the problem and follow through to resolution
- Guests’ name will be used at all times upon entering an occupied room by self and employees
- Parking lot and grounds will be patrolled on a continuous basis throughout the day (minimum of two times per day)
- Pool chemical testing must be completed a minimum of twice a day
- Emergency lighting is to be checked a minimum of once a week
- In-room smoke detectors are to be checked monthly
- Manage renovation process as required
- Comply with all OSHA standards and be aware of any potential chemical hazards and the protective equipment needs in handling them
- Maintain property exterior curb appeal and landscaping per company procedure and standards
- With the Assistant General Manager and other key personnel, manage the annual Loss Prevention Audit – implement and maintain required site-specific processes / procedures, follow up timely as required – and Safety Committee
- Maintain approved key control program
- Maintain the following certifications or required training on behalf of self and property: CPR, SDS, CPO and all pertinent Brand or Company-required programs. Additional certifications may be required
- Coordinate and monitor for efficiency/effectiveness key safety and security related programs for overall hotel including but not limited to: auditing of issuance of hotel keys, chemical, CPR and Fire Preparedness training, evacuation drills, etc.
- Self-starting personality with an even disposition to effectively communicate with guests, colleagues and community
- Be familiar with and adhere to Legacy Ventures Service standards as outlined in the Blueprint and other policies / rules of conduct, to include personal appearance / grooming, attendance and safe / efficient operations
- Perform any other job-related duties as assigned
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have a flexible schedule and ability to work days, evenings or nights any day of the week, including weekends and holidays.
- Must have exceptional customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks in a busy environment and remain flexible
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Must have a self-starting personality with an even disposition to effectively communicate with guests and staff.
- Possess excellent written, verbal, and organizational skills. Computer literacy and financial management a must.
Education and/or Experience: College degree preferred. Three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Pre-opening experience preferred.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other associates of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The associate is occasionally required to walk and reach with hands and arms.
The associate must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.