Posted December 21, 2020The Merrill Hotel, Muscatine, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
The Merrill Hotel and Maxwell’s on the River is looking for qualified applicants for a Full-Time or Part-Time Bartender position. We are a four-diamond hotel situated on the Mississippi River in downtown Muscatine, Iowa. Ranked #1 Hotel in Iowa by the U.S. News & World Report in 2018 and 2019, we strive to consistently bring exceptional experiences to our guests with our New-American cuisine and elevated bar program. Our restaurant provides service to hotel guests and patrons from around the world.
Bartender Job Responsibilities:
• Knows and applies federal, state, and local laws governing the service of alcoholic beverages as well as the hotel's policies regarding liquor service and liability.
• Gathers all needed supplies and equipment for the bar set-up.
• Sets up the bar according to hotel standards and maintains it during the shift.
• Performs necessary side work.
• Reports tips for each pay period.
• Serves properly mixed drinks to guests.
• Punches in and reports to the Restaurant Manager/Assistant Restaurant Manager on time and in full uniform for each shift. Obtains Manager's approval prior to punching out.
• Runs tabs, computes guest checks, operates the POS computerized cash register system and accepts payments.
• Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Hours & Benefits: Full-Time or Part-Time hours, reduced room rates for employees at Marriott hotels, flexible work schedule, AM/PM/weekend shifts, competitive hourly pay, paid vacation & sick time, food & beverage discounts, employee meal program, uniform provided.
• As this position is required to prepare alcoholic beverages, must be at least 21 years of age
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Knowledge of basic drink mixology
• Previous bartending experience is required
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Must have command of the English language
• Basic mathematical skills
• Must be alert to the customers' needs
• Able to stand for 8 hours
• Must be able to work flexible days and hours, including weekends and holidays
• Able to perform tasks several tasks simultaneously
• Good hearing and vision with or without corrective lenses
• Able to lift at least 20 pounds
• Basic computer usage skills
APPEARANCE AND GROOMING: All staff members are required to follow the guidelines set forth by the associate handbook.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos, ability to write simple correspondence, ability to effectively present one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other staff members of the organization and hospitality community.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions and percentages and ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
REASONING ABILITY: ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations and ability to address customer personalities in various business situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to use hands and fingers, to handle and feel objects, tools, controls and talk with and hear guests. The staff member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The staff member will work in a high traffic/high volume business environment.
119 West Mississippi Drive
Muscatine, IA 52761
122 Room Hotel
As rare as a pearl found in a Mississippi River clam, The Merrill Hotel, Muscatine, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, is a 4 Diamond, boutique hotel in downtown Muscatine, Iowa, right on the Mississippi River. The Merrill Hotel is a proud member of the International Association of Conference Centers - one of only two IACC certified hotel in the state of Iowa.
A member of the Marriott family of brands, we were recently recognized as providing the highest guest satisfaction of all Tribute hotels in North America in 2019. At the same time, US News & World Report named our hotel "The Best Hotel in Iowa" for the second straight year!
The Merrill boasts 122 luxury guest rooms and suites and an all-day restaurant and Lounge. Named after one of our city's historical figures, Maxwell's on the River also serves adjacent outdoor greenspace in our nice weather. Naturally, we offer a first-class fitness center connected to our heated indoor saltwater pool.
Our picturesque meeting venue is spectacularly located on the top floor of The Merrill. We offer over 12,700 square feet of flexible and intimate event space. Our balcony fronts the entire building and overlooks the Mighty Mississippi, making it uniquely suitable for both business and social gatherings.
Of Course, we provide such benefits as ongoing training, an employee meal plan, free parking, referral bonuses, monthly and annual employee recognition programs. Additional benefit options include health insurance, 401k, sick and vacation days. On top of all this, as a Marriott brand, the world's largest hotel company, hotel rooms are available around the world at discounted rates for the emplyees, their family and friends.