The brand new South Lake Union Hotel in Seattle, featuring 265 guest rooms, 10,000 sq. ft. of meeting and event space, a rooftop bar/lounge with indoor and outdoor space is set to open early 2021. This hotel will be centrally located within Southlake Union, steps away from the Amazon Campus and within walking distance from the Seattle Center, Space Needle, Museum of Pop as well as the Climate Pledge Arena (future home of the Seattle Kraken). This brand new hotel with ground floor dining, local coffee bar, and excellent street access will bring a comfortable space for guests and a new energy of Seattle’s future to the neighborhood at the corner of Terry and Thomas Ave in the Southlake Union area of Seattle.
South Lake Union Hotel is seeking a knowledgeable and experienced Director of Engineering to join their team!
The Director of Engineering is responsible for the opening of a 265 room hotel which includes the hiring of the Engineering team as well as setting up the Engineering shop. The Director of Engineering is responsible for operation, repair and maintenance of all buildings, machinery and equipment of the property. The Director of Engineering is also responsible for all aspects of the Engineering department to include the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing, electrical, irrigation, life safety, electrical and mechanical equipment/systems. This position will develop, coordinate and monitor all guest rooms, public spaces, equipment, and PM programs to ensure the reliability, safety, and comfort of all staff and guests. The Director of Engineering will hire, supervise, train and manage all Engineering staff. The position reports to the General Manager and dotted line to Corporate Director of Engineering.
- Lead and execute all engineering and maintenance efforts.
- Develop, implement and maintain a comprehensive business plan that defines the hotel engineering objectives.
- Develop, coordinate and monitor all guest rooms and public spaces, equipment, and Preventative Maintenance programs to ensure the reliability, safety, and comfort of all staff and guests.
- Participate in public area walk-through with management to ensure guest rooms, public area and heart of the house areas are well maintained and preventative maintenance processes are in place.
- Responsible for overall management of Preventative Maintenance Program, HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatments, pneumatics, control systems, water systems, boilers, refrigeration, compressors, etc.
- Responsible for energy management of property.
- Responsible for overseeing capital construction and major maintenance projects.
- Organize and effectively manage Maintenance and repair of the Hotel.
- Establish relationships with vendors and monitor vendors to assure quality, delivery, warranties, upgrades, etc. are consistently utilized.
- Work closely with vendors to assure proper pricing, delivery and maintenance.
- Obtain competitive bids for all supplies and work orders.
- Implement and maintain OSHA and ADA programs to ensure compliance.
- Responsible for any and all fire life safety monthly, quarterly, annual, 5 year, inspections.
- As Fire Safety Director, assist in training of fire brigade and deputy fire safety directors.
- Comprehensive knowledge of elevator operations, maintenance and inspections.
- Comprehensive knowledge of technology including television, internet, phone system, etc.
- Implement emergency evacuation floor plans in departments, and fire, life, safety detection/alarm device testing program.
- Have a thorough knowledge of hotel fire regulations and policy, accident reports, safety programs, and what the direct duties are in relation to each; ensure that all associates are properly trained in these procedures.
- Establish and stay current on all safety and sanitation policies and procedures that impact the property.
- Consistently monitor the performance of employees on an on-going basis and provide feedback. Reward, discipline and document employee performance and provide timely counseling. Address employee complaints and resolve problems.
- Properly handle all administrative work with regard to interviewing, hiring, performance appraisals and terminations of staff.
- Maintain efficiency in the operation of the staff in a high standard of quality of service and courtesy, bringing total satisfaction to our guests and the hotel.
- Prepare and post weekly schedules in accordance to guest needs and staff availability.
- Maintain close control and inventory of uniforms, supplies, and equipment.
- Implement proper training program and control the training of the staff to top efficiency and in accordance with policies and standard operation procedures.
- Facilitate new hire training, departmental training modules; continually monitor, evaluate, and revise training content to reflect changes in the process; address the needs identified by associates.
- Accountable for the financial performance of the department.
- Monitor departmental, payroll and supply expenses in accordance with budgetary goals.
- Create annual Capex budget and operating budget.
- Obtain property design and as-built drawings, specifications, submittal documents, testing & balance reports, commission documents, O&M manuals and warranty information for all equipment and systems.
- Obtain application registrations, certificates and permits and set up renewal monitoring program.
- Be familiar with the operating procedures of all other areas of the hotel, cooperating fully and in a friendly manner with those areas to assure customer satisfaction.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as Chief Engineer / Director of Engineering
- Hotel maintenance background required
- Marriott experience preferred
- Technical knowledge in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, boilers, and refrigeration required