Under the direction of the Director of Stewarding, the Executive Chief Steward supervises the Stewarding Department staff in daily overall operations, and mentors and guides the Steward Management team. The Executive Chief Steward provides strategic leadership, guidance, and direction on initiatives and operational decisions that simultaneously result in year over year improvements in customer satisfaction scores, improved product quality, and increased operational profitability. The Executive Chief Steward is directly responsible for all scheduling, supervising, coordinating, hiring and training of Stewarding/Utility Worker staff.
The Executive Chief Steward monitors and maintains all Back of House (BOH) facilities and systems, including work order submission and tracking of repair work in all F&B areas, and is responsible for meeting budgeted expenses for labor, china, glass, silver & cleaning products. The Executive Chief Steward works directly with all regulatory authorities in respect to Food & Beverage Department oversight and compliance and is ultimately responsible for ensuring a clean and safe environment for all patrons, team members and vendors, while safeguarding enterprise assets and guaranteeing departmental integrity.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Drives results through staff development and appropriate training programs and monitors results through evaluation, inspection, and analysis. Ensures effective processes, positions, and performance management systems are in place.
- Assists with the development of the Stewarding Department’s business plan that will support enterprise initiatives and enhance Stewarding quality and service, associated costs, employee development, retention strategies, and employee productivity benchmarks.
- Monitors, maintains and supervises all aspects of Stewarding Department. Monitors all BOH areas to ensure Health Department, Gaming, Casino, IHS, FDA and OSHA codes & policies are followed at all times; reports any violation(s) of codes and policies immediately upon discovery; participates in all Gaming, IHS and all other inspections. Submits recap reports to F&B Director and Director of Stewarding following all regulatory inspections, including resolutions and or recommendations for all issues cited by inspectors; follows-up on all cited issues from any inspection to assure all issues are rectified in a timely manner. Monitors and audits all venue daily shift inspections to ensure all venues are in compliance with casino inspection policies. Ensures that all work orders and repairs are submitted and completed after inspections and whenever identified, at any time.
- Responsible for all aspects of ware washing and cleaning of food preparation areas. Controls and stores back-up supply of china glass and flatware, utensils and small equipment. Standardizes, maintains, and continuously improves quality of sanitation, hygiene and cleanliness within the culinary standards to guest’s satisfaction
Maintains complete knowledge of:
- Anticipating business levels in each venue per meal period.
- Daily house count.
- Scheduled in-house group activities, locations and times.
- Correct chemical handling procedures.
- Monitors and maintains cleanliness, sanitation and organization of all F&B areas. Establishes cleaning schedules for all tasks to be completed on a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly basis, ensuring all areas are routinely cleaned. Develops checklists for employees to follow when completing scheduled cleaning tasks.
- Inspects quality of work performed by night cleaners and resolves deficiencies. Ensures scheduled cleaning tasks are completed within specified time-frames. Meets with the Director of Stewarding and reviews the kitchen needs daily. Enforces maintenance and service standards throughout all food outlets in accordance to SMC standards and expectations, and Health department regulations. Monitors and ensures maintenance/sanitation of kitchens, equipment and related areas to ensure a healthy, safe work environment that meets/exceeds federal, state and SMC standards and regulations. Maintains “A” scores for all standards and regulations.
- Schedules Stewarding staff within budgeted labor costs; approves vacation requests ensuring that staffing levels are met. Performs periodic and annual performance reviews of all Stewarding staff, using corrective counseling and coaching methods and appropriate documentation. Ensures safe working conditions are in place at all times in BOH operations. Investigates and reports all employee injuries or accidents according to policy. Manages IC team- food stockers. Oversees F&B linen program. Conducts monthly china, glass, silver & chemical inventories, and submits orders as needed to maintain par levels. Plans and executes banquet and entertainment events from the stewarding aspect.
- Maintains F&B policy manuals to ensure compliance. Works with equipment, janitorial/cleaning supplies and facilities maintenance/repair companies to ensure all areas of Food & Beverage operations are functioning properly and fully equipped at all times. Maintains training and certifications applicable to the Steward team members. Ensures all training, regulatory, inventory, and team member documentation is complete and up to date. Maintains occupational knowledge and skills by conducting research, attending seminars, educational workshops, classes, and conferences. Drives results through staff professional development and appropriate training programs that monitors results through evaluation, inspection, and analysis.
- Creates an environment that motivates employees to collaborate, learn, perform, and develop their skills. Hires and oversee a diverse team of well-trained team members by leading by example, empowering, teaching, and coaching throughout the employment lifecycle. Creates a compliance culture within San Manuel and fosters an environment where employees feel empowered to report potential violations and/or misconduct. Promotes excellent guest/associate relationships by reacting promptly, efficiently, and courteously to all guest and associate concerns.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Vocational/Technical/Business certification in related field required.
- Continuing education college coursework preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years experience managing high volume, multi-unit hotel, banquet/entertainment venue setting, casino or food service establishment kitchen as Assistant Executive Steward level or above required.
- Must possess advanced knowledge Kitchen operations, F&B equipment, kitchen facilities maintenance & repair, janitorial operations and Food Service & production operations.
- Must possess advance knowledge of Health, Gaming, FDA, IHS and OSHA regulations and codes in regards to all aspects of Food & Beverage operations.
- Possess advanced skill level in hands–on training of staff.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel) is required
- Previous experience at EATEC or AS400 based inventory ordering system a plus.
- Maintains acceptable attendance record and arrives at workstation at scheduled time, in proper uniform and ready to work.
- Comprehensive knowledge of safe, sanitary food handling procedures, preparation methods, merchandising and supervision.
- Working knowledge of cost controls.
- Self-directed and promotes an environment of accountability.
- Must possess understanding of Union Labor Law and Contracts.
- Must possess knowledge of all types of commercial kitchen equipment.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company’s insurance carrier.
- Must obtain and maintain a ServSafe certification within 90 days of employment.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.