Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Construction and Development, the Vice President of Tribal Construction and Development is responsible for all aspects of safe, tribal construction on the reservation, along with off reservation construction projects. They will monitor daily to ensure compliance with building and safety regulations, budget, and market trends requiring both a rigor and focus as well as superior communication and finance skills in the execution of due diligence, entitlement, permitting, construction, and the turn over process from concept to completion for all tribal related property developments. Incumbent will possess a superb level of diplomacy, decorum, and tact in her/his ability to effectively communicate with members of the Tribe. Incumbent will guide both project management and field personnel in proper planning, subcontractor selection and execution of the work on tribal land and off reservation projects. Monitors progress of each tribal construction project and makes adjustments as needed to keep the projects on track for success, preventing major cost and schedule impacts, and communicates and implements necessary changes to protect the tribe and/or its members from unnecessary liability and expenses.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for all tribal construction activities from start to completion, as managed by direct reports. Oversees direct reports responsible for managing all projects, including managing due diligence and directing activities of architects, engineers, general contractors, interior designer and other consultants to complete all projects timely and successfully. Responsible for supporting tribal master plan projects and their quality control and safety objectives.
- Works closely with multiple stakeholders internally and externally, in addition to coordinating complex relationships with operations, construction managers, developers, legal teams, architects, government agents, amongst others.
- Negotiate and execute on real estate plans and remodels associated with Tribal real estate strategies and decisions. Effectively oversees and directs multiple large scale projects.
- Provides expert oversight in all real estate acquisitions, dispositions, capital real estate development, property management, design and implementation.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial approach to construction process; balancing control with flexibility, procedure with simplicity, and willingness to innovate and change while creating an environment of accountability and discipline.
- Effectively communicate and recommend strategies/decisions, key insights, potential risks, action plans, as well as economic value creation (both projected and actual) to Tribal Government, senior management, relevant committees, and business leaders across the enterprise.
- Balance between financial acumen and real estate knowhow, driving focus to the most important initiatives for the greatest impact to the Tribe and its members.
- Perform robust financial and operational analysis to develop and support specific short and long-term strategies, decisions, and forecasts.
- Direct and manage the evolution and implementation of the Tribes master development plan and the inclusion of future amendments and updates required as a result of acquisitions and expansions.
- Coach/mentor Senior Project Managers and Project Managers, and the Construction and Development teams in the area of operational excellence with a focus on safety.
- Strategic Project Planning: Strategic project planning and execution for multiple tribal property developments.
- Project Design: Responsible for all construction activities including but not limited to project design, interior design, master planning, civil engineering, architecture, traffic engineering, geotechnical, environmental, lighting, landscape and procurement efforts.
- Contract Negotiations/Contract Execution: From a Value Engineering lens, review and provide input to all major construction, design, architecture, and purchasing contracts for new and existing projects and monitor contract performance to ensure high quality, cost-effective and on-time completion. Maintain a self-perform capability that allows us to effectively challenge excessive quotes. Provide tactical and strategic support in the development of marketing strategies and in the preparation and review of major proposals and projects.
- Regulatory Land Use: Support activities related to secure regulatory land use entitlements, requisite jurisdictional site plan approvals and permits required to proceed with development as needed. Meet with public agencies and neighborhood groups to develop support.
- Budget & Cost Reporting: Presents development schedules to SVP for approval and works with peers to provide accurate cost reporting, including financial forecasts and reports to SVP for lenders and banks, and processing accurate construction loan draws.
- Embraces and anticipates technology impact on current and future construction projects to create a best-in-class property.
- Support Tribal environmental and sustainability programs, and research and provide intelligence on industry standards and trends.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization?s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelors Degree in Architecture, Construction, Civil Engineering, Business or equivalent experience. Master of Architecture, with a minor in Business preferred.
- LEED accreditation desirable.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Minimum of fifteen (15+) years of progressive, diversified experience working in Architecture, Engineering, Construction and/or Construction Management overseeing large, diverse and iconic hospitality, entertainment and mixed-use developments.
- Minimum of ten (10) years direct supervisory experience of management teams and individual contributors required. Minimum of five (5) years in Senior Leadership capacity.
- Must be culturally competent and effective in a multi-cultural environment.
- Effective at presenting information and responding to questions and/or concerns from management, staff, customers, public groups, regulatory agencies, and/or the Business Committee.
- Strong leadership and people management skills required with good motivational and collaboration emphasis; communicates change effectively, overcomes resistance and builds commitment.
- Organized and able to effectively manage multiple, diverse tasks and adhere to tight deadlines.
- Experience with organizational transformation, including the development and implementation of effective operating models in large-scale, complex organizations.
- Advanced knowledge of architecture, construction, project management, purchasing, contract negotiation, real estate development, land development, entitlements and permitting.
- Experience in scoping, cost-estimating, budgeting, scheduling and organizing large multi-functional teams (project managers, architects, contractors, consultants and vendors) producing high quality, on-time, budget compliant results. P&L management experience.
- Strategic business sense and demonstrate the ability to analyze and reorganize business processes, timeline and cost schedules, and vendor relationships. Experience with pricing strategies and negotiation techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Architectural design stands / A & E programs (computer based), Building Codes (building/fire/life safety/engineering), and regulatory (State/local) planning and zoning codes.
- Demonstrated ability to assess risk areas and risk mitigation across different contract types and market spaces, with extensive knowledge of risk identification and mitigation strategies. Strong background in Design/Build Project Delivery.
- Excellent communication, writing and conflict management skills. Ability to make effective presentations and conduct focused briefings to all Management levels.
- Ability to work closely with others and motivate teams to produce quality work within tight time frames and simultaneously manage multiple complex projects.
- High level of competency in strategic thinking, talent development, inspiring and influencing others, collaboration, situational agility and sound judgment.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- As a condition of employment with the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Real Estate Department, incumbents are required to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment and annual post-employment background investigation including, but not limited to, Live-Scan fingerprinting, drug screening and criminal history background check.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid drivers license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the insurance carrier.
- License/registration preferred in a minimum of three of the following: Real Estate Management, Architecture, Development, Engineering, Construction and Construction Management.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.