Posted March 22, 2021Marriott International
The IT Architect – Property Networks is responsible for architecting efficient and optimal networks, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), the Internet, intranets, software defined networks, and other data communications systems in support of the Property Network, Leads technical workgroups, resolves and makes decisions on complex and high-risk issues, performs research, analysis, design, creation, and implementation of infrastructure systems to meet current and future user requirements. Supports local property LAN services (guest WIFI, back office, POS, etc.) globally. Leads cross team relationships and partners with all business disciplines, other MI teams, vendors, and suppliers to define and implement the Property Networks roadmap, building and enforcing the standards defined in it.
Responsible to ensure that overall property network requirements are met. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: continental IT executives, property LAN service providers (LSPs), end-user computing services delivery, hosting services, enterprise availability, server, storage, virtualization, inclusive of security/privacy, risk management, and disaster and crisis management. Provides senior technical expertise for all phases of the infrastructure lifecycle from ideation through execution, and ongoing management and support of the end-to-end network servicing all Marriott Property Network systems. Develops and executes new initiatives to simplify, standardize, optimize, and automate the network designs, tooling, and operations to reduce implementation cycle times, eliminate service downtime, optimize performance, and ensure that all security and compliance requirements are fully governed.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field experience/certification
· 10+ years’ experience as a Network Engineer with 7 or greater years in a hands-on role that implements engineering standards, documenting engineering designs, and participating in project cutovers.
· 7 years’ experience in an IT infrastructure lead role that include:
o Implementation of WAN, LAN, and datacenter networks with a focus on mission-critical, customer-facing applications and services
o Technical knowledge in networking (Cisco and non-Cisco) with an emphasis on software-defined networks (SDN) and leveraging spine & leaf designs, load balancing, firewalls, security design (intrusion detection and prevention), DNS, NTP, Network Tools & Management
o Technical knowledge common routing protocols (e.g., OSPF, BGP), IPv6, VPN, etc. across a global distributed network hands-on experience with the datacenter fabric platforms (Cisco, Arista, or equivalent) hands-on experience with common routing and switching platforms (Cisco, Juniper, HP/Aruba etc.)
o Deep experience in WAN and campus LAN design and implementation, preferably with a focus on hotel property networks
o Experience with automating network functions through tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Terraform
o Experience with writing Python applications to support network automation
o Understanding of legacy networking routing protocols and the interaction with cloud interconnects
o Experience with network load balancers, WAN optimizers, and Network virtualization.
o Technical knowledge and experience with telco and ISP networks, ensuring diversity and managing availability
o Demonstrated experience in delivering written documents detailing network solutions and diagrams
· 5+ years’ experience with high availability planning, component redundancy design and implementation
· 5+ years’ experience in designing large-scale enterprise network interconnectivity with cloud providers using standard best practices
· Ability to work non-standard hours during change implementations
· Advanced Degree in Computer Science or other technical discipline or MBA, preferably with a focus on technology
· 10+ years’ experience managing large, globally distributed network architecture, engineering, and/or operations teams and leveraging next-generation network designs and technologies to support large-scale deployments
· Proven track record of driving transformation in network technologies, tools, and processes through a data-driven continuous improvement methodology
· Demonstrated experience in improving security, stability, reliability, performance, and agility of complex enterprise networks
· Strong technical knowledge of foundational networking technologies and solid understanding of the software-defined networking (SDN) ecosystem
· Strong understanding of network infrastructure automation, instrumentation, and monitoring platforms and the emerging technologies in this area
· Experience in setting up virtual private clouds in public cloud infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Alibaba Cloud, or Google Cloud Platform
· Experience with designing and engineering connectivity to public cloud providers utilizing technologies such as AWS Direct Connect, Azure ExpressRoute, Google Dedicated Interconnect, or Oracle FastConnect
· Proven experience leading highly effective technical teams through major technology and organizational change
· Proven experience re-engineering complex Internet-based network designs to optimize for services and applications that are sensitive to network turbulence (e.g., latency, jitter, loss)
· Proven experience driving operational performance through defining and enforcing Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
· Experience driving and/or significantly participating in vendor RFPs for network products (e.g., hardware, software, tools, telco, services)
· Experience managing or working in the services sourcing and/or ITO or LSP field
· Certification in network and/or security technologies (e.g., CCIE, CCNP, CISSP, etc.)
· Experience in researching emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products and synthesizing into clear technology roadmaps and strategies
· Strong influencing skills and an ability to overcome barriers while driving change
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences including executives, business stakeholders, and IT teams
· Strong attention to detail with an ability to operate effectively across multiple priorities
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
· Develop complex global distributed infrastructure solutions residing within multiple country borders.
· Provide program management assistance and contribute input to help manage project schedules, risks, and costs.
· Manage Property Network products and solutions, including the design, low level engineering, and delivery of new hardware systems for Marriott applications across the Property Networks
· Define and implement an operational Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) strategy for all Property Network Infrastructure areas.
· Establish cross team level relationships and partnering with all Business disciplines and other MI teams to define IT Property Network services, meet service level requirements and serve as an escalation point to resolve service delivery and operational issues.
· Create functional strategies and specific objectives for the sub-function and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional Property Network infrastructure.
· Foster an environment of continuous improvement and structured processes and procedures that support a zero-fault culture.
Strategy & Planning
· Actively engages with VP of Global Networks in the creation of long-term and annual IT budgets/spending targets for the Property Network infrastructure area.
· Deliver Property Network technical support to meet defined service levels that are benchmarked against industry standards and metrics.
· Monitor area usage/demand of services provided by either the internal organization or outsources partners to ensure that shared services actual expenditures are in line with planned spending.
· Track actual utilization of services and products, including reporting of supplier performance, in meeting business service expectations and service levels.
· Responsible for ensuring usage / demand of Property Network delivery actual versus planned expenditures are monitored.
· Responsible for ensuring projected resource baselines are managed, forecasted and reconciled against actual utilization of services.
· Ensure key Property Network technology management processes are effectively managed including: governance, operations, planning, and change management.
· Define requirements, strategy, solutions, and standards for Property Network infrastructure to meet business needs and adhere with enterprise architecture & security standards.
· Approve and oversee projects to implement and maintain services.
· Partner on all aspects of the technology lifecycle including requirements, product and services management, planning, procurement, installation, support and retirement in conjunction with other Infrastructure VPs, Enterprise Architecture, and the business planning teams.
· Support the development of and compliance with Marriott’s enterprise architecture, engineering, and design plans.
· Ensure participation of appropriate technical expertise in technical requirements gathering and solution design phases of assigned projects.
· Continuously improve operations processes, develop and present best practices, technical concepts and technologies for innovative Property Network solutions.
Lead a High-Performing Team
· Generate enthusiasm and understanding of the department vision and how each role contributes to the achievement of that vision.
· Ensure capabilities are developed and resources are aligned to support the strategy.
· Serve as a role model and ensure network engineers are visible and effective partners with IT counterparts, broader Marriott stakeholders, and service providers.
· Demonstrate extensive operational support capability with strong ITIL best practices (i.e. Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Capacity Management, Release Management, Service Level Management)
Lead Day-To-Day Data Architecture
· Develops and delivers long-term strategic goals for technology architecture vision and standards in conjunction with Service Providers, data users, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
· Assesses and determines governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing technology across the organization.
· Creates short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and an overall technology management roadmap.
· Conducts technology life cycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks.
· Identifies and develops opportunities for data reuse, migration, or retirement.
· Verifies that technology strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance.
Developing and Maintaining Requirements and Standards
· Develops and promotes technology management methodologies and standards.
· Defines requirements for Service Providers for implementing the appropriate tools, software, applications, and systems to support appropriate technology goals.
· Defines requirements for Service Providers for establishing methods and procedures for tracking technology quality, completeness, redundancy, and improvement in collaboration with the Service Providers.
· Defines requirements for Service Providers to address technology-related problems with regards to systems integration, compatibility, and multiple-platform integration.
· Defines requirements for Service Providers to develop and implement key components as needed to create testing criteria in order to guarantee the fidelity and performance of technology architecture.
· Defines requirements for Service Providers for documenting the technology architecture and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger technology picture.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
It means feeling the power of belonging. We feel it each and every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Marriott International sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do. It's why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career.
We believe our strength is rooted in our five core values:
These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 travel company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. We are constantly innovating and evolving, but we'll always stay true to who we are, because we believe the way we do business is as important as the business we do.