Applies advanced computational techniques in the development of business solutions to data-intensive problems in the hospitality industry. This rewarding position provides a career as part of a team that makes a direct revenue impact on Marriott hotels, globally, by providing tools that facilitate data-driven decision making in the disciplines of pricing, revenue management, sales and reservations. Works as part of a team that supports computationally-intensive data analysis and modeling efforts, provides pricing and statistical modeling and technical expertise; performs undirected research on large volumes of data to reach business conclusions and recommendations; contributes complex programming and analysis in revenue management and sales systems; analyzes data and builds innovative models to deliver business solutions; functions as a subject matter expert in all phases of the project lifecycle – inception, prototyping, design, testing, rollout and support. The Operations Research team seeks a flexible candidate with a willingness to learn that brings unique perspectives to enable creative data-driven solutions to the challenges at Marriott.
Education and Experience
· Graduate degree in a rigorous quantitative, technical or scientific subject, including Operations Research, Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Data Engineering, Computer Science or Engineering
· 2+ years’ industry or research experience; applying analytical and programming skills against data-intensive and complex modeling or systems development
· 2+ years’ experience in software development
· Knowledge and experience with Python (pandas / Numpy / SciPy), Java or C/C++, SQL at an advanced level with an understanding of complexity theory
· An inherent curiosity in researching and developing solutions to complex and often open-ended business problems
· An ability to explain and present mathematical concepts and results to technical and non-technical audiences
· Strong communications skills and ability to work within a team
· Knowledge of relational databases
· Software engineering skills (e.g. distributed computing, object-oriented development, data cleansing, algorithms and data structures)
· Experience with designing or supporting analytical systems, focusing on model quality and code efficiency
· Experience performing predictive modeling, forecasting, or statistical analysis on large scale datasets.
· Experience with Big Data platforms (i.e. Hadoop) and cloud technologies.
· Experience with Machine learning tools and techniques (e.g. k-nearest neighbors, random forests, ensemble methods, etc.)
· Experience in developing analytic driven solutions to business problems
· Understands complex, discrete data sets with subtle underlying biases
· Experience with linear, mixed integer, non-linear or dynamic programming models and familiarity with optimization software (CPLEX, Gurobi).
· SAS programming (including SAS/HPF, SAS/ETS, and macros) or R Programming.
· Readiness to debug existing codes to identify source of reported application issues
· Trains and/or mentors other team members, and peers as appropriate
· Provides leadership on solution structure, tasks, timeline and estimates for revenue management deliverables
· Partners with planning teams to articulate possible solutions to business problems and to develop requirements for new models
· Formulates methods for measuring the effectiveness of pricing and revenue management activities.
· Prepares detailed specifications for translation of complex business processes into models and prototypes
· Develops and implements efficient, scalable algorithms using appropriate technologies/software/architectures
· Writes software and utility software tools to create and test new models
· Assists the Application Delivery teams in support of operations
· Assists the Application Delivery team in the maintenance of existing models
· Provides work/cost estimates for client requests
· Prepares documentation for client review.
· Conducts reviews, discusses findings, risks and challenges and establishes courses of action
· Follows all defined iT standards and processes and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
· Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
· Follows the defined project management standards and processes
Service Provider Management
To the extent that this role interacts with service providers:
· Validates that Service Providers develop and manage respective aspects of a project plan, including schedules, deliverables, and appropriate metrics.
· Makes short term plans for the team to effectively utilize resources
· Monitors Service Provider outcomes
· Reviews estimates of work effort for client project provided by Service Providers for accuracy
· Facilitates timely resolution of service delivery problems and minimizes the impact to clients
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values -Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
· Managing Change -Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure
It means feeling the power of belonging. We feel it each and every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Marriott International sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do. It's why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career.
We believe our strength is rooted in our five core values:
These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 travel company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. We are constantly innovating and evolving, but we'll always stay true to who we are, because we believe the way we do business is as important as the business we do.