The Director, Accounting Policy will provide executive decision support, expert consultation and thought leadership on business transactions by identifying and addressing accounting and reporting policy issues and opportunities. He/she will be responsible for the interpretation of accounting policies and practices and the application of those policies and practices to Marriott. He/she will lead the implementation of new accounting standards while continually monitoring emerging financial accounting issues, determining the impacts to Marriott and updating members of Senior Management and key stakeholder groups, as appropriate. He/she will also collaborate with other Accounting Policy leadership team members on SEC filings as required. The Director, Accounting Policy, who reports to the Vice President, Accounting Policy, is a key member of the Accounting Policy leadership team and is expected to meaningfully contribute to the team’s overall leadership, management and development.
• Provide proactive, expert consultation, thought leadership and technical support on business transactions (e.g., mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, asset sales and leases, joint venture structuring) by identifying and addressing accounting policy and reporting issues and opportunities (e.g., lead financial accounting due diligence efforts; apply complex accounting and reporting concepts to deal structures such that they minimize risk and maximize return for the enterprise).
• Lead research of accounting literature and apply technical standards to complex business issues and transactions. Lead preparation of policy memos documenting Marriott’s conclusions.
• Lead and manage the group responsible for the preparation of the earnings per share, return on capital, and investment capacity analyses for potential transactions. Ensure that the analyses reflect the appropriate accounting treatment under generally accepted accounting principles.
• Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with Global Finance partners, executive management and other internal stakeholder groups to understand the business and ensure timely and accurate exchange of information. Provide ongoing guidance to Finance Business Partners concerning issues related to areas of responsibility.
• Drive implementation of new accounting standards. Stay abreast of existing and emerging financial accounting and reporting principles, assessing their applicability to Marriott and proactively advising the Vice President, Accounting Policy. Also provide updates to executive management, members of Global Finance and other stakeholder groups as needed depending upon the significance of the issues to Marriott.
• Partner with other Accounting Policy leadership members on completing SEC filing requirements.
• Contribute to the development of discipline and enterprise policies that facilitate a strong internal control environment.
• Lead, develop, and mentor team members and encourage collaboration and a positive and productive environment within the team. Set goals and expectations for direct reports and hold staff accountable for successful performance; coach team by providing specific feedback to improve performance; and conduct annual performance appraisal with direct reports.
• Champion excellence in business ethics and integrity, social responsibility, cross-cultural effectiveness, and associate engagement.
Key Talents and Experience
• Seven+ years professional accounting experience.
• Public accounting experience at the manager and/or senior manager level, significant National Office consultation or financial accounting advisory experience strongly preferred.
• Experience analyzing and recommending appropriate strategies addressing technical accounting issues of complex real estate, joint venture, merger & acquisition, disposition and tax transactions.
• Lodging/hospitality industry experience strongly preferred.
• History of consistently delivering business results.
• Expert knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and controls; as well as an in-depth knowledge of Marriott-specific accounting issues and finance processes and systems.
• Demonstrated expertise in appropriate accounting treatment and reporting policies of routine and complex financial transactions.
• Strong business acumen and service orientation.
• Able to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure. Comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
• Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders in order to foster trust and influence key decisions.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills; creates an atmosphere in which timely information flows smoothly through the organization. Ability to explain complex issues to non-subject-matter experts.
• Able to sell ideas persuasively, settling differences and winning concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic.
• Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills; able to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner to senior management, able to use data and a cogent problem-solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment.
• Strong business performance management skills - able to deploy and manage (use data to systemically monitor the progress of work against schedules, budgets, and quality standards) resources to achieve/exceed objectives in a dynamic operating environment.
• Able to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
• Exhibits leadership presence; ability to establish credibility necessary to influence at all organizational levels and give projects credibility
• Trustworthy with strong business integrity and ability to hold sensitive information in confidence
• Strategic thinker; processes information through a strategic lens and applies tenants of systems thinking to issues/assignments
• Innovative thinker and agile learner; able to readily apply past learnings in new situations to generate solutions to Marriott challenges and/or create something entirely new
• Highly organized and able to handle multiple priorities at any given point in time
It means feeling the power of belonging. We feel it each and every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Marriott International sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do. It's why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career.
We believe our strength is rooted in our five core values:
These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 travel company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. We are constantly innovating and evolving, but we'll always stay true to who we are, because we believe the way we do business is as important as the business we do.