Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the banquet food preparation staff. Assists in coordinating menus, purchasing, scheduling, food preparation and plating for catering events. The individual is responsible for delivering a consistent, high quality product with an appetizing presentation. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 1 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 1 year experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
• Attends daily Banquet Event meetings to review culinary requirements.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Assists in developing, designing, or creating new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
• Ensures compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
• Estimates daily Banquet Event Order production needs.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
• Manages BEO process including menu development, pricing, tracking and ordering.
• Manages food quantities and plating requirements for all banquet functions.
• Plans food quantities and plating requirements for all banquet functions.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
• Supports procedures for food & beverage portion and waste controls.
Assisting in Managing Culinary Teams
• Communicates production needs to key personnel.
• Communicates regularly with employees to ensure performance expectations are clear.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
• Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Identifies the educational needs of others, develops formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
• Supervises banquet kitchen shift operations.
• Utilizes an "open door" policy to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
• Manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Responds effectively to guest problems and complaints.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Conducts training when appropriate.
• Ensures employees are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation support the Peer Review Process.
• Participates in training staff on menu items including ingredients, preparation methods and unique tastes.
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Trains employees in safety procedures.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
This is a fixed-term position for the season 2021.
Settled on its own private Island in Venice, Isola delle Rose, just 20-minute pleasant ride across the Lagoon to central St. Mark’s Square by complimentary shuttle service, JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa is the ultimate luxury retreat for romantic breaks and family escapes. Opened in March 2015, the Resort features 250 contemporary-styled rooms and suites designed by the architect Matteo Thun; five distinct accommodation experiences are at guests’ disposal, located in secluded corners of the Island: the Hotel, La Residenza, La Maisonette, L’Uliveto and Villa Rose. The Resort features 4 restaurants and 4 bars offering both international and local cuisine, Sapori Cooking Academy, the largest Spa in Venice, a romantic Church for events and private ceremonies, kids club and family activities, water sports, a rooftop lounge area with pool offering a dramatic 360 degree view over Venice and the smooth Lagoon, and lush green areas with a combination of tropical and Mediterranean plants.
What makes a workplace feel like home? It’s a place that brings out your best, every day. Because it makes you want to be better, every day. It’s a place where your strengths are appreciated. Where people welcome you as you are. And applaud you for where you’re going. We invite you to search and apply for jobs at Marriott—and discover opportunities to explore whatever inspires you.
So much more than a job
Discover the benefits of belonging to our global family. It’s why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career—because this is a place where you can feel at home. And it’s why so many associates refer friends and family members for Marriott jobs—because here, each of us can truly be ourselves.
Since our founding in 1927, Marriott has been known for a culture that puts people first. Working at Marriott opens up a world of experiences, benefits and career paths.
Marriott is consistently recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work,” and we know it’s our culture that makes us unique. Become part of our tradition of teamwork, excellence and community involvement.