Posted March 22, 2021Marriott International
The Senior Manager, Accounting Policy will provide proactive consultation and decision support on complex business transactions by identifying and addressing accounting and reporting policy issues and opportunities. The Senior Manager, Accounting Policy will be a key contributor in the preparation of the earnings per share, return on invested capital, and investment capacity analyses for potential transactions. The Senior Manager, Accounting Policy will be responsible for monitoring emerging financial accounting issues, interpreting accounting policies and practices, and applying those policies and practices to Marriott. The Senior Manager, Accounting Policy will be viewed by members of Senior Management and key stakeholder groups as a key contact in emerging accounting issues. The Senior Manager, Accounting Policy will collaborate with other Accounting Policy team members on SEC filings, as required.
· Provide proactive consultation and technical support on complex business transactions (e.g., mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, asset sales and leases, joint venture structuring) by identifying and addressing accounting policy and reporting issues and opportunities.
· Provide support to key stakeholders and Senior Management by performing earnings per share, return on invested and committed capital, and debt capacity calculations for potential transactions. Ensure the analyses reflect the appropriate accounting treatment under generally accepted accounting principles.
· Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with Global Finance partners and other internal stakeholder groups to understand the business and ensure timely exchange of information.
· Interface and partner with executives and management across critical Marriott functions such as: development, asset management, finance and treasury, tax, revenue management, and global design, among others to proactively identify business issues that may impact corresponding accounting policy and reporting issues and/or analyses.
· Monitor and lead analyses related to Marriott’s proposed and existing investment interests, including those in Variable Interest Entities. Drive completion of corresponding fair value disclosures. Lead and coordinate information gathering from other departments to complete required analyses.
· Stay abreast of existing and emerging financial accounting and reporting principles, assessing their applicability to Marriott, and proactively advising other members of the Accounting Policy group. Assist in design of, lead, and participate in the accounting update presentations that the Accounting Policy group provides to Global Finance and other interested parties.
· Develop a deep understanding of the new accounting standards and work with the Director, Accounting Policy to lead and coordinate MI’s adoption of new standards.
· Research accounting literature and apply technical standards to complex business issues and transactions. Prepare policy memos documenting Marriott’s conclusions.
· Partner with other Accounting Policy team members on completing SEC filing requirements, as needed.
· Contribute to the development of discipline and enterprise policies that facilitate a strong internal control environment.
· Provide ongoing guidance concerning issues related to areas of responsibility, including accounting support to regional hotel operations.
· Lead, develop, and mentor one junior Accounting Policy team member and encourage collaboration and a positive and productive environment within the Accounting Policy group.
· Work on special projects as necessary.
KEY TALENTS AND EXPERIENCE
· Seven+ years professional accounting experience.
· Public accounting experience at the manager level or technical accounting experience at a large public company strongly preferred.
· Experience analyzing and recommending appropriate strategies addressing technical accounting issues of complex real estate, joint venture, merger & acquisition, disposition and tax transactions.
· Lodging/hospitality industry experience strongly preferred.
· History of consistently delivering business results.
· In-depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and controls.
· Demonstrated expertise in appropriate accounting treatment and reporting policies of routine and complex financial transactions.
· Strong business acumen and service orientation.
· Able to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure. Comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
· Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders in order to foster trust and influence key decisions.
· Strong written and oral communication skills; creates an atmosphere in which timely information flows smoothly through the organization.
· Able to sell ideas persuasively, settling differences and winning concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct while remaining diplomatic.
· Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills; able to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner to senior management, able to use data and a cogent problem-solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment.
· Strong business performance management skills - able to deploy and manage (use data to systemically monitor the progress of work against schedules, budgets, and quality standards) resources to achieve/exceed objectives in a dynamic operating environment.
· Able to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
· Active learner - able to enhance personal, professional, and business growth through new knowledge and experiences; pushes the organization to learn from other industries’ standards and practices.
· Relationship builder; networker
· Collaborative; self-directed team player
· Persuasive; able to influence with effective communication
· Results oriented; delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure
· Exhibits leadership presence; ability to establish credibility necessary to influence at all organizational levels and give projects credibility
· Analytical; makes recommendations using data
· Comfortable with complexity, ambiguity, and change
· Trustworthy with strong business integrity and ability to hold sensitive information in confidence
· Strategic thinker; processes information through a strategic lens and applies tenants of systems thinking to issues/assignments
· Innovative thinker and agile learner; able to readily apply past learnings in new situations to generate solutions to Marriott challenges and/or create something entirely new
· Highly organized and able to handle multiple priorities at any given point in time
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION
· Baccalaureate degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline required
· CPA required
· MBA or Master of Science Degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline strongly preferred
· This position will be based at MI Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
It means feeling the power of belonging. We feel it each and every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Marriott International sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do. It's why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career.
We believe our strength is rooted in our five core values:
These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 travel company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. We are constantly innovating and evolving, but we'll always stay true to who we are, because we believe the way we do business is as important as the business we do.