The Architect, Network DevOps / Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is the technical lead in developing the strategy and platforms for the next-gen operations for all Marriott International (MI) networks including the Property Networks, Datacenter/Cloud Networks, and Corporate Networks. This role will work closely and collaboratively with a matrix team of expert network architects to drive adoption of DevOps/SRE practices and operating models across all network product towers, and around globe. The Architect, Network DevOps/SRE brings a strong perspective that inspires change and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to complex problems, driving the engineering and operations for network software development, automation, provisioning, performance management and tools / API’s for self-service across the globe. This role is accountable for establishing management level relationships and partnering with all business disciplines, other MI teams, outsourcing vendors, and external suppliers to define and implement the Network DevOps / SRE roadmap, building and enforcing the standards defined in it. This position will also serve as lead to define and support service delivery and operational support standards for our Next Generation Operations, partnering with the global technology peer teams to meet service level requirements and resolve service delivery issues across the portfolio. Reporting to the Director of Global Network DevOps/SRE, this key position is accountable to ensure overall requirements by customers and peer delivery and operations groups are met. Accountabilities include, but are not limited to: continental IT executives, property LAN service providers (LSPs), end-user computing services delivery, hosting services, enterprise availability, server, storage, virtualization, inclusive of security/privacy, risk management, and disaster and crisis management. The successful candidate will provide Architecture leadership for all phases of the infrastructure lifecycle from ideation through execution, and ongoing management and support, with specific attention to identifying opportunities for proactive and reactive (self-healing) automation solutions across the network. (S)/He will develop and execute new initiatives to simplify, standardize, optimize, and automate the network designs, tooling, and operations to reduce implementation cycle times, eliminate service downtime, optimize performance, and ensure that all security and compliance requirements are fully governed.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field experience/certification
· 8-10+ years’ experience in information technology including:
o 7+ years of IT network infrastructure technical leadership experience (matrix and/or functional) with at least 3 years of experience in a DevOps/SRE oriented team.
o 4+ years of direct management of cross functional, sourced, or matrixed teams and outsourced suppliers
o 4+ years’ experience in the implementation of WAN, LAN, and datacenter networks with a focus on mission-critical, customer-facing applications and services
· Technical knowledge in networking (Cisco and non-Cisco) with an emphasis on software-defined networks (SDN) and leveraging spine & leaf designs, firewalls, security design (intrusion detection and prevention), DNS, NTP, Network Tools & Management
· Technical knowledge common routing protocols (e.g., OSPF, BGP), IPv6, VPN, etc. across a global distributed network
· Hands-on experience with the datacenter fabric platforms (Cisco, Arista, or equivalent)
· Hands-on experience with common routing and switching platforms (Cisco, Juniper, HP/Aruba etc.)
· Hands-on experience designing, configuring and operating high-speed campus / office / property networks
· Technical knowledge and experience with telco and ISP networks, ensuring diversity and managing availability
· Demonstrated experience in delivering written documents detailing network solutions and diagrams
· Knowledgeable in modern in modern configuration management tools (Ansible, Chef, Fabric, etc.)
· Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (e.g. Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Compute Engine)
· Technical knowledge in Load Balancing such as ELBs, NLBs, F5 BIGIP
· Proven experience with PERL or Python to support developing scripts
· Advanced Degree (e.g., MS, PhD) in Computer Science or other technical discipline or MBA, preferably with a focus on technology
· 10+ years’ experience managing large, globally distributed network architecture, engineering, and/or operations teams and leveraging next-generation network designs and technologies to support large-scale deployments
· 3+ years’ experience managing budgets of over $10M, with experience managing cost-reduction programs
· Proven track record of driving transformation in network technologies, tools, and processes through a data-driven continuous improvement methodology
· Demonstrated experience in improving security, stability, reliability, performance, and agility of complex enterprise networks
· Strong technical knowledge of foundational networking technologies and solid understanding of the software-defined networking (SDN) ecosystem
· Strong understanding of network infrastructure automation, instrumentation, and monitoring platforms and the emerging technologies in this area
· Proven experience leading highly effective technical teams through major technology and organizational change
· Proven experience driving operational performance through defining and enforcing Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
· Experience driving and/or significantly participating in vendor RFPs for network products (e.g., hardware, software, tools, telco, services)
· Experience managing or working in the services sourcing and/or ITO or LSP field
· Certification in network and/or security technologies (e.g., CCIE, CCNP, CISSP, etc.)
· Experience in researching emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products and synthesizing into clear technology roadmaps and strategies
· Strong influencing skills and an ability to overcome barriers while driving change
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences including executives, business stakeholders, and IT teams
· Strong attention to detail with an ability to operate effectively across multiple priorities
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
· Develop complex global distributed infrastructure monitoring, management, and automation solutions to manage our global network.
· Lead design, write, and build tools to improve the reliability, availability, and scalability of Datacenter/Cloud Networks, Property Networks, and Corporate Networks
· Serve as technical lead for the development of complex global distributed infrastructure monitoring, management, and automation solutions to manage our global network.
· Serve as technical lead for the design new tools to monitor and smart alerts that help discover failures or issues before our customers.
· Collaborate with other Network teams to develop network DevOps/SRE solutions with a focus on production integration
· Conduct network analysis, configuration management and develop improvements for system software performance, availability and reliability
· Provide program management assistance and contribute input to help manage project schedules, risks, and costs.
· Manage Network DevOps/SRE products and solutions, including the design, low level engineering, and delivery of new hardware systems for Marriott applications across the network.
· Define and implement an operational Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) strategy for all Network Infrastructure areas.
· Establish management level relationships and partnering with all Business disciplines and other MI teams to define Network DevOps/SRE services, meet service level requirements and serve as an escalation point to resolve service delivery and operational issues.
· Drive accountability with ITO partners, vendors, telco/ISPs, etc., launching and managing Performance Improvement initiatives where appropriate.
· Create functional strategies and specific objectives for the sub-function and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional Network DevOps/SRE tools, systems, and infrastructure.
· Foster an environment of continuous improvement and structured processes and procedures that support a zero-fault culture.
Strategy & Planning
· Actively engage with Director of Global Network DevOps/SRE in the creation of long-term and annual IT budgets/spending targets for the Network DevOps/SRE capability area.
· Accountable for delivering Network DevOps/SRE technical support to meet defined service levels that are benchmarked against industry standards and metrics.
· Monitor area usage/demand of services provided by either the internal organization or outsources partners to ensure that shared services actual expenditures are in line with planned spending.
· Track actual utilization of services and products, including reporting of supplier performance, in meeting business service expectations and service levels.
· Accountable for ensuring usage / demand of Network DevOps/SRE delivery actual versus planned expenditures are monitored.
· Accountable for ensuring projected resource baselines are managed, forecasted and reconciled against actual utilization of services.
· Ensure key Network DevOps/SRE technology management processes are effectively managed including: governance, operations, planning, and change management.
· Partner with Network tower Leads and Architects for Datacenter/Cloud Networks, Property Networks, Corporate Networks, and Network Test & Cert teams to define requirements, strategy, solutions, and standards for network infrastructure to meet business needs and adhere with enterprise architecture & security standards.
· Approve and oversee projects to implement and maintain services.
· Partner on all aspects of the technology lifecycle including requirements, product and services management, planning, procurement, installation, support and retirement in conjunction with other Infrastructure VPs, Enterprise Architecture, and the business planning teams.
· Support the development of and compliance with Marriott’s enterprise architecture, engineering, and design plans.
· Ensure participation of appropriate technical expertise in technical requirements gathering and solution design phases of assigned projects.
· Continuously improve operations processes, develop and present best practices, technical concepts and technologies for innovative network solutions.
· Responsible for supporting charge back and allocation taxonomy for all Network DevOps/SRE infrastructure services that indexes to the market and takes into consideration all internal Marriott costs.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
It means feeling the power of belonging. We feel it each and every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Marriott International sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do. It's why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career.
We believe our strength is rooted in our five core values:
These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 travel company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. We are constantly innovating and evolving, but we'll always stay true to who we are, because we believe the way we do business is as important as the business we do.