Reporting to the Vice President of Enterprise Risk Management & Operations, the Director of Risk Management works across businesses and departments to educate, influence, support risk management activities and key business decisions, while providing subject matter expertise on risk management and insurance practices. The scope of the Director and his/her team's effort is to support the implementation of all risk management programs for the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians (SMBMI). The Director is a key executive responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of risk management programs to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks. The Director designs and oversees processes to reduce controllable risks, and prevents/minimizes losses through preventative steps and actions. The Director is also responsible for the negotiation of all of existing policies with carriers and/or brokers. Must also maintain a strict level of confidentiality and act in a manner consistent with all legal and regulatory requirements and in compliance with relevant laws and regulations. The Director of Risk Management also collaborates, initiates, and supports opportunities with other functions by championing the goals and priorities of the Tribe in a manner that faithfully reflects and upholds the Tribes vision, mission and values.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Establishes the development of SMBMI’s risk management strategy and establishes the creation of programs to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks by providing timely and accurate information. Works directly with the Vice President of Enterprise Risk Management & Operations to fulfill the department’s strategic vision by presenting business plans to mitigate exposures and improve business operations.
2. Supports the Risk Management team by actively collaborating with all business executives to identify, manage and mitigate areas of operational risk that might arise from inadequate or failed internal processes, people and systems, or external events.
3. Drives the design and development of an industry leading "best in class" operational risk management program by utilizing experiences, known best practices, and expertly applies it to SMBMI and its enterprise.
4. Ensures ongoing and adequate monitoring, testing, and reporting of operational risk to all stakeholders.
5. Evaluates the effectiveness of risk management programs or initiatives to ensure that continuous improvement in organizational performance is promoted.
6. Monitors risk management failures, develops root cause analysis, and ensures corrective actions are implemented.
7. Embraces and embeds a risk culture to promote transparency and accountability for inherent risk and controls.
8. Monitors operational and regulatory legal developments, assesses impacts, and provides oversight to ensure they are effectively communicated to the enterprise, while ensuring appropriate actions are taken.
9. Manages and administers relationships with external vendors, including but not limited to insurance brokers, third party claim adjusters, underwriters, etc.
10. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
San Manuel Casino is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
Food & Beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!