Posted February 22, 2021Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel
Function as the property’s strategic financial business leader. As a member of the Executive Committee, the position champions, develops and implements hotel-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property associates. The position provides the financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives while maximizing the return on investment to the owners and Marriott International. In addition, creates and executes a business plan that is aligned with the hotel and brand’s business strategy and focuses on the execution of financial and accounting activities and the delivery of desirable financial results.
SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT
· A Full Time position based at the Marriott Marquis City Center, Doha, Qatar and will be responsible for finance operation of multiple brand hotels (Marriott Marquis, JW Marriott Marquis, Element by Westin Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments, Delta by Marriott, Autograph Collection and Le Meridien) under the same ownership.
· Number of Direct Reports - 2
· Titles of Direct Reports – Multi Property General Manager & Area Director of Finance
JOB FAMILY CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
· Ensuring P&L Accuracy - Ensuring Profits and Losses are documented accurately.
· Improving Profit - Developing means to improve profit, including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
· Creating Annual Budget - Analyzing information, forecasting sales against expenses and creating annual budget plans.
· Ensuring that All Taxes are Current, Collected and/or Accrued - Monitoring all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
· Meeting and Communicating with Owners - Attending meetings and communicating with the owners, understanding the priorities and strategic focus.
· Ensuring Report Delivery Deadlines - Submitting reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
· Demonstrating Leadership - Utilizing interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
· Communicating an Understanding of Owner Priorities - Communicating the strategic goals, the focus and the owner priorities to subordinates in a clear and precise manner.
· Monitoring Actual vs. Projected Sales - Compiling information, analyzing and monitoring actual sales against projected sales.
· Comparing Budgeted Wages to Actual Wages - Analyzing differences between actual budget wages and forecasted wages for more efficient budget planning.
· Achieving/Exceeding Goals - Achieving and exceeding goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
· Analyzing Data or Information - Identifying the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information by breaking down information or data into separate parts.
· Developing and Executing Business Plans - Thinking creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new business plans
· Generating and Delivering Accurate and Timely Results - Generating and providing accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
· Meeting the Needs of Key Stakeholders - Understanding and meeting the needs of key stakeholders (owners, corporate, guests, etc.).
Education and Experience
· 4-year bachelor's degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; 2 years experience in the finance and accounting or related professional area or Master's degree in Finance and Accounting or related major.
· Middle East and cluster work experience would be an added advantage.
Skills and Knowledge
· Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
· Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
· Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
· Management of Financial Resources - Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
· Analytical/Critical Thinking - The ability to gather and organize information using a logical and systematic process; recognize patterns and relationships in complex data; examine data to identify implications, problems and draw appropriate conclusions; generate alternative solutions to problems; evaluate strengths, weaknesses and consequences of alternative solutions and approaches to solving problems.
· Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
· Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
· Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
· Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
· Number Facility - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
· Purchasing and Materials Management - Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control (e.g., accounting and budgeting).
· Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
· Adaptability - Ability to effectively adjust to major changes in work tasks or the work environment.
· Applied Business Knowledge - Understands market dynamics, enterprise level objectives, financial metrics, and important aspects of Marriott's business; skilled at using business knowledge to anticipate opportunities and risks.
· Building a Successful Team - Skilled at building a cohesive team and facilitating goal accomplishment.
· Building Strategic Working Relationships - Skilled at developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
· Building Trust - Ability to interact with others in an honest, fair and respectful way; giving others confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization.
· Communication - Skilled at clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media; engaging the audience and helping them understand and retain the message.
· High Work Standards - Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps Marriott's values and business strategy at the forefront of decision making and actions.
· Planning and Organizing - Skilled at establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently.
· Strategic Decision Making - Ability to gather and organize information relevant to a long-range goal or vision, develop alternative strategies, and execute a course of action to carry out strategy.
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
· Improves profit growth in operating departments.
· Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the executive team, the hotel's strategies and to lead own team.
· Advises the MPGM and executive committee on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
· Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
· Creates the annual operating budget for the property.
· Provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities for property managers.
· Implements a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks.
· Ensures a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability.
· Reconciles balance sheet to ensure account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOPs.
· Ensures that the P&L is accurate (e.g., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts).
· Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
· Demonstrates an understanding of cash flow and owner priorities.
· Ensures compliance with management contract and reporting requirements.
· Manages communication with owners in an effective manner.
· Analyzes financial data and market trends.
· Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
· Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes.
· Reviews audit issues to ensure accuracy.
· Provides excellent leadership by assigning team members and other departments managers' clear accountability backed by appropriate authority.
· Leads the development and implementation of a comprehensive annual business plan which is aligned with the company’s and brand’s strategic direction.
· Provides on going analytical support by monitoring the operating department’s actual and projected sales.
· Manages property working capital and cash flow in accordance with brand SOPs and owner requirements.
· Produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to changes in the business.
· Facilitates critique meetings to review information with management team.
· Ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.