Posted March 22, 2021Marriott International
The Global Distribution landscape in the lodging industry continues to expand and become more complex. The Global Distribution Systems team is charged with identifying, developing and executing the means to drive customers to Marriott’s lowest cost and direct channels, while optimizing the relationships with third party channels like Online Travel Agencies (OTAs), Metasearch, wholesalers, and travel agencies. Marriott recognizes that our portfolio’s performance in external intermediary channels is a key area of focus.
As a member of the Global Distribution Systems team, the Senior Director, Global Distribution Systems, Group & America’s is a leadership role that will define the global vision for how to design and build infrastructure, capabilities and processes to execute evolving distribution strategies in the complex B2B and B2C intermediary segments, including but not limited to, Travel Management Companies (TMCs), Group, OTAs, Metasearch, and Wholesale. This leader will work across multiple internal and external Business and IT teams, identifying critical business needs and objectives and transform them into actionable solutions and initiatives that support the overall Distribution Strategy. The primary focus is executing distribution solutions in the America’s, while working with respective Directors of Connectivity on a plan to appropriately replicate and localize in each continent, Europe, MEA and APAC.
Functions as the strategic business leader of the area. Continuously improves department, program, team, and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place. Works with direct reports and peers to develop and implement strategies and goals. Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep team moving forward toward achievement of goals. Provides direction and assistance to other teams regarding projects. Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new plans or programs. Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for performance goals.
Education and Experience
· 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hospitality Management, or related major OR
· 12+ years of relevant professional experience in related function, demonstrating progressive career growth and pattern of exceptional performance
· Experience managing and defining transformational strategies for business units.
· Demonstrated ability to deliver results under difficult conditions, particularly when faced with complexity and ambiguity.
· Possess a strong understanding of third party distribution channels and Marriott systems
· Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team, inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Identifies and understands issues, problems and opportunities, obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions and chooses a course of action
· Ability to work within all levels of the organization. Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of stakeholder needs
· Sets high standards of performance for self and others. Assumes responsibility and accountability for goals
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Projects and Priorities
· Leads channel connectivity for Americas and specific B2B Channels, Global Distribution System (GDS) and Group channels
· Interfaces with business teams to understand goals and objectives, pain points, and areas of opportunity to improve and drive execution of distribution strategies. Business teams to include but not limited to, Sales, Revenue Management, Finance, Operations, Distribution, and Help Desk Support
· Work with Directors of Connectivity in each continent to understand localized business needs for each B2B segment
· Leads execution of architectural vision (i.e. orchestrate IT roadmap with Plan/Build and 3rd party IT teams) set forth by Vice President of Connectivity, Infrastructure, & Content
· Responsible for performing infrastructure design, development, and management ensuring partner interfaces are updated on as-needed basis when changes occur (i.e. changes in Channel Partner technical requirements, or, new core enhancements)
· Manage planning for Initiative funding and tracking against annual budget
· Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work for self and direct reports.
· Provides direction and assistance to other teams regarding projects. Determines priorities, schedules, plans and necessary resources to ensure completion of any projects on schedule.
· Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
· Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new plans or programs. Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
· Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates the quality of the teams’ operations.
· Provides recommendations to improve the effectiveness of processes or programs.
· Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders.
· Supports achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
Leading Discipline Team
· Champions leaders’ vision for product and service delivery.
· Works with direct reports and peers to develop and implement strategies and goals. Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding goals to produce desired results.
· Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep team moving forward toward achievement of goals.
· Provides targeted and timely communication of results, achievements and challenges to direct reports, peers, and leaders.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
· Interviews and hires employees.
· Promotes the fair and equitable treatment of employees.
· Facilitates regular, ongoing communication in department (e.g., staff meetings).
· Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participates in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with customer and employees.
· Incorporates customer satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
· Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for performance goals.
· Solicits employee feedback.
· Utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns
· Promotes adherence to policies consistently, follows disciplinary procedures and documents items according to Standard and Local Operating
Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
· Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
· Champions change ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
· Identifies talents of direct reports and their teams and assists with their growth and development plans.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
· Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Building a Successful Team -Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Business Process and Analysis – Knowledge of multiple processes within sponsor department; ability to document key process flows, recognize processes for redesign, identify opportunities and translate business processes into information system’s needs. Ability to define quality measures and evaluate performance against standards and to identify issues, risks and possible paths of resolution or mitigation strategies.
o IT Business Management – Ability to monitor and evaluate trends in technology, technology delivery mechanisms and IT organizational processes and tools. This includes the ability to redefine processes, make recommendations, and perfect process governance frameworks.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
It means feeling the power of belonging. We feel it each and every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Marriott International sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do. It's why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career.
We believe our strength is rooted in our five core values:
These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 travel company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. We are constantly innovating and evolving, but we'll always stay true to who we are, because we believe the way we do business is as important as the business we do.