As a member of the Global Insurance team, the Director, Insurance – Americas will be responsible for serving U.S. & Canada operations and will take a leadership role in the placement of Marriott’s Domestic Primary, Global Excess Casualty, Employment Practices, and Wage & Hour insurance programs (“Programs”). He/she will lead efforts to compile, model, analyze, and interpret data as necessary in order to make actionable decisions that help in reducing the Company’s total cost of risk. Together with the VP, Insurance and Risk Finance team, the position will determine and develop optimal strategies for proper risk retention and (financial/contractual) risk transfer for the Domestic Casualty Program. The position will also serve as a liaison between the Insurance discipline and other Risk Management groups, representing the Global Finance and Risk Management Department’s interests.
This position will lead a team that is responsible for directing insurance placement strategy of the Programs, as well as administration of critical insurance elements of Marriott’s Consumer Operations and residential risk management programs. The position will also oversee non-Marriott procured insurance compliance, contract review and consult to owner insurance programs. The position is responsible for day-to-day supervision of one associate based at corporate HQ.
He/she will be expected to manage one’s workload with limited direction and must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, identifying profitable opportunities, anticipating challenges, devising, and executing breakthrough strategies/approaches to develop teams and deliver against the current and future business priorities. The position will also engage and partner with insurers, brokers, peer departments, and key business leaders, thereby strengthening Marriott’s competitive advantage through excellence in risk management.
CORE EXPECTED CONTRIBUTIONS
• Position will partner with VP, Insurance in determining program strategy and structure, and will execute placement of the domestic primary and global excess casualty insurance programs. Position will also partner with Risk Finance to determine premium rate adequacy, development of proper rating methodologies, optimal use of retentions, and equitable allocation of premium in an effort to minimize loss costs to hotels.
• Lead strategy and manage team to execute placement of Marriott’s Employment Practices and Wage & Hour insurance programs; work with Risk Finance to identify improvements and implement equitable premium allocation methodology
• Provide contract review and negotiation of insurance and indemnification provisions within operational and financing agreement for all brands within the Americas organization.
• Manage, with the input of the VP, Insurance, corporate insurance needs for Marriott’s Consumer Operations, Technology & Emerging Businesses ventures.
• Act as the primary point of insurance support for residential mixed-use and standalone projects.
• Provide Risk Management Due Diligence to Legal Dept. for Company public debt offerings.
• Lead the Americas Region’s non-Marriott procured insurance compliance program.
• Provide consult to Company’s Owner Franchise Services, Consumer Operations, Lodging Development, Law, and Corporate Finance departments, as well as direct negotiations with external Owners and Lenders.
• Provide consult to complex owner insurance inquiries relating to Marriott’s insurance program coverages, premium allocation and claim queries from hotel owners and residential associations.
• Partner with VP, Insurance on M&A due diligence efforts.
• Facilitate insurance projects within U.S. & Canada as directed by the SVP, Risk Management and/or VP, Insurance.
• Interface with Global Safety & Security to identify and define risk mitigation or loss trend strategies.
• Partner with IT Systems team in identification and recommendation of resource needs within Americas region.
• Partner with Global Safety & Security representative in the analysis and review of Business Case Analyses (BCA). Interface with Global Safety & Security at an enterprise level to identify and define risk mitigation or loss trend strategies.
• Assist in the change management and communications (within Marriott International and with Owners) related to implementation and launches of Marriott’s risk management programs. Position will support, manage, and initiate change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers or to accelerate its pace.
• Champion leadership development and workforce planning priorities by assessing, selecting, retaining, and developing diverse, high-caliber talent that can lead the organization today and strengthen the leadership bench for the future.
• Partner with HR to anticipate future talent needs based on business growth and allocate resources appropriately.
• Champion excellence in business ethics and integrity, social responsibility, cross-cultural effectiveness, and associate engagement.
Key Talents and Experience
• Minimum seven years’ corporate risk management experience, lodging or related industry a plus.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management role with demonstrated success leading and developing others in a complex, service-intensive, deadline-driven environment.
• Demonstrated experience with Casualty insurance programs, use of captives, coverage triggers, or alternative risk finance tools to support company’s most cost effective and efficient risk transfer/retention structures.
• Strong leader of people – ability to create compelling vision, demonstrate flexibility in approach, and motivate others to achieve desired results; ability to work in a matrix organization and make things happen without having to own all of the resources; leverages shared resources to achieve results.
• Strong negotiation skills and the ability to understand financial structure of deals and Marriott business model; position requires ability to direct insurance brokers, insurers, and work in a consulting capacity.
• Possession of international passport and ability to travel 2-3 times per year for possibly one-week duration per trip
• Demonstrated expertise with the placement of large and complex commercial insurance programs.
• Demonstrated experience in contract review and negotiation of complex contracts/agreements.
• Demonstrated aptitude to balance highly technical insurance issues within the parameter of a business transaction.
• Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity with risk management tools – particularly RMIS systems, rating methodology, governance frameworks, and processes; ability to drive process improvements and implement best practices.
• Exhibits strong functional leadership and finance knowledge; able to leverage this strength to influence business team strategies and decisions; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic.
• Demonstrated ability to formulate creative solutions for complex business issues, mitigating risk and maximizing stakeholder satisfaction. Ability to sell ideas persuasively and win concessions without damaging relationships.
• Operate with a collaborative mindset to ensure that key stakeholders are considered, eliminating the need for duplicate systems; build strong relationships to leverage information and insights to anticipate and respond to risks; communicates well with project and other leaders; openly shares and does not withhold information.
• Strong interpersonal skills; able to maintain effective relationships at all levels with internal and external customers.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; listens to others and effectively comprehends information; creates an environment allowing timely information flows throughout the organization.
• Responsive; ability to identify and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple stakeholders.
• Ability to consistently make decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
• Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills; ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner appropriate for senior management decision-making; use data and a cogent problem-solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment.
Education and Professional Certification
LOCATION -This position will be based at Corporate HQ in Bethesda, Maryland.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
It means feeling the power of belonging. We feel it each and every day. It comes from being recognized. It comes from knowing Marriott International sees talent in each of us. And, it comes from working together, as a family, to make our guests feel as much at home as we do. It's why so many of our associates come for a job, but stay for a career.
We believe our strength is rooted in our five core values:
These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 travel company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. We are constantly innovating and evolving, but we'll always stay true to who we are, because we believe the way we do business is as important as the business we do.