Under the direction of the Chief Legal and Compliance Officer, the Director of Legal Operations, assumes a wide range of responsibilities, all of which require critical thinking, innovation, and integrity. The Director, Legal Operations manages key processes that are critical to the Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments including the e-Billing system; billing procedures and practices; department measurement and benchmarking; and supporting the management of law firms and other legal and compliance service providers. This position is also responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of administrative responsibilities within the department, as well as the direct daily supervision of the administrative team members.The Director, Legal Operations is a strategic leader who identifies, designs, implements, and reinforces the processes and systems using Lean for Law techniques that allow the Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments to run smoothly and provide stellar service to internal and external customers. This position is responsible for technology solutions, vendor relationships, monitoring counsel spend and rate tracking, special projects, and helps build the Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments’ strategy, structure, and culture. This role helps manage costs, while fostering a culture that values excellence, teamwork, respect, and recognition. This position works across practice areas within the Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments and other support functions to enable the efficient and effective delivery of legal and compliance services to our government and enterprise partners.This role develops strong relationships with internal constituents including Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology and Procurement. This role also requires a high-energy, business-oriented and self-motivated individual with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and experience in in-house Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments operations. The Director, Legal Operations works efficiently and independently in a fast-paced environment, communicates clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing, manages high volumes of tasks and projects with little guidance. The Director reacts with appropriate urgency to situations and events that require a quick response or turnaround, takes effective action without knowing the whole picture, thinks creatively and strategically, exercising strong judgment, and is proactive and innovative in solving problems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Responsible for managing the day-to-day operations and administrative services functions for the assigned Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments, monitoring administrative support to attorneys and managing the department's budget. Responsible for the development and implementation of office policies, protocols and procedures. Utilizes leadership skills and knowledge of law firm operations, to manage department operations.
2. Utilizes Lean for Law and Legal Project Management (LPM) techniques for critical projects in collaboration and partnership with stakeholders from Finance, Information Technology, Procurement, and other departments as necessary to support legal systems, process management, and performance reporting. Plans, leads and coordinates deliverables through written communications (plans, schedules and budgets), team meetings and regular communications with the attorneys and relevant stakeholders.
3. Oversees the preparation of department operating expense budget and monitors legal spend, billing rates and budget status. Coordinates with the Finance department to submit office expenditures and invoices in a timely manner. Works with the attorneys to manage the Legal and Enterprise Compliance department's finances, vendors, and outside counsel spend.
4. Uses innovation and strategic thinking to design processes improvements for increased efficiencies to ensure effective operation of the ebilling function.
5. Manages day-to-day legal and compliance operations requirements, including matter management, document management, invoicing management, and reporting.
6. Collaborates with attorneys, and others (as required) to define matter scope, identify work tasks, estimate time/duration, assign resources, prioritize tasks, define dependencies and risks, and manage performance against goals. Ensures the smooth operation of the department, as well as the direct daily supervision of the administrative team members. Schedules and attends regular check-in project team meetings; prepares notes and follows up on action items. Proactively manages changes in matter, scope, work plans, and budgets, as needed.
7. Assists in the preparation of, monitors, and tracks the Legal and Enterprise Compliance department objectives. Creates metrics and trends on key data points aligned to Chief Legal and Compliance Officer’s key objectives and strategic plan.
8. Supports the Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments in long-term capacity plan regarding resource needs and allocation by improving operational performance, efficiencies and managing outside counsel spend.
9. Participates in industry government and corporate legal operations roundtables, industry benchmarking studies, and create and maintain a network to provide best practices recommendations to Chief Legal and Compliance Officer.
10. Identifies and implements legal department tools, such as e-billing, intellectual property management, contract management, information governance, and legal research tools to streamline new or existing office practices, and provide support to legal team members. Uses Artificial Intelligence-powered contract review services in their day-to-day operations.
11. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments.
12. Assumes other responsibilities, duties, tasks and assignments that contribute to the mitigation or response to any public health emergency.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Makes hiring decisions and designs individual development plans with succession planning in mind for all key roles.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
San Manuel Casino is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
Food & Beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!