The Americas HR Operations function leads and implements all initiatives and standards in support of positive team member engagement, leadership effectiveness, talent, culture as a high-performing HR Operations team that contributes to superior business results, performance management and development, recognition, talent management, compliance, team member and labor relations while delivering a best-in-class, internationally recognized workplace environment.
As Director – Human Resources, you will provide continuous leadership in creating and delivering an exceptional team member experience and best place to work. The Director - Human Resources will be directly responsible for contributing to the achievement of superior business results in the areas of ensuring outstanding guest service, team member engagement, favorable financial outcomes, strategic leadership and talent development, culture, innovation and human resources operations.
- Strategy – Be globally aligned with the Americas HR Operations function while locally supporting superior business results
- Leadership - Develop innovative, forward-thinking leaders within a comprehensive learning environment
- Culture – Ensure a best-in-class workplace that delivers on Hilton’s values, mission and purpose
- Talent - Hire, engage and develop the world’s best hospitality team members
- HR Operations Excellence - Embrace and lead implementation of all Americas HR Operations initiatives and objectives with a consistent commitment to excellence in execution, comprehensiveness and timeliness.
What will I be doing?
Asa Director of Human Resources, you will be responsible to:
- Successfully, innovatively and timely implement HR strategic objectives and monitor for best-in-class results
- Innovate, avoid the status quo and cultivate a transformational Team Member-centric workplace
- Partner with GM/EC to deliver on Hilton’s values by creating high-impact TM engagement experiences
- Champion Hilton’s culture at the hotel to inspire high-performing multi-cultural, multi-generational teams that build Hilton’s talent pipeline and serve as an unbiased Team Member advocate at all phases for their employment life cycle
- Leverage people analytics for positive talent and work environment ROI
- Role model strategic business partner standards to actively contribute to business results
- Provide owner relations guidance in key areas of HR expertise, as needed (Mgt. Agreements, Wage & Hour, Compliance, Staffing Models)
- As applicable, partner with Regional HRD/Labor Relations team on development of effective LR strategies and training
- Ensure comprehensive People Plan is in place, reviewed with the GM/EC and updated annually
- Mitigates risk from legal liability at all times for Hilton and owner stakeholders by connecting with RHRD prior to any significant Team Member disciplinary or performance improvement action
- Serve as the hotel’s credible SME on all matters relating to Team Member engagement, culture, performance management, talent, compliance, leadership and talent development, training and TM relations (plus Labor Relations, if hotel is covered under a CBA(s))
- Serve as a highly visible, participatory leader who proactively and consistently engages with their GM/EC, HR team and Team Members, external guests and communicates/presents HR Ops topics and initiatives to key stakeholders (regional/hotel leadership, owners, Team Members)
- Remain current on trends to evaluate innovative ways for process/practice improvements, workplace enhancements and shares best practices
- Partner with GM/EC on leading and coordinating community activities at the hotel
- Participate or represent Hilton in industry or HR professional associations
- As applicable if hotel is covered under a CBA, lead and engage in grievance process representing the interests of the hotel, organization and owners in conjunction with Hilton standards and CBA provisions
- Promote tools and communication channels that encourage regular, open Team Members performance feedback
- Integrate Hilton’s Values/Mission/Purpose when implementing HR Ops initiatives and support Team Member-centric and guest-centric programs
- Create a vibrant Heart of House physical environment and ambiance that makes Team Members feel energized, comfortable and motivated
- Develop a recognition culture that exists among Team Members and across all departments
- Serve as an ambassador of Hilton’s culture engaging with Team Members through direct and meaningful interactions, leading by example, social media and digital tools
- Deliver Thrive@Hilton well-being programs to enhance the mind, body and spirit of each Team Member
- Champion Hilton’s community interests with pride
- Actively supports Hilton’s guest-centric focus with the GM/EC/4D in the spirit of our vision and mission
- Cultivate and promote diversity and inclusion at the hotel and deliver on Hilton’s D&I objectives
- Proactively identify present and future talent gaps and create action plans to address shortfalls
- Perform annual salary and benefits evaluation to ensure the hotels’ total rewards are market competitive
- Ensure meaningful onboarding programs are in place for all new hires
- Partner with key leaders within the hotel to create a leadership and development culture to support current and future talent needs
- Ensure internal transfers/promos are the priority when filling positions
- Generate consolidated monthly labor turnover data, ensure GM reviews with EC with corrective action plans
- Ensure all key hotel leadership roles have career development plans in place that are actively supported by leadership and profiles are current
- Retain in-depth knowledge of internal talent to help facilitate/manage people moves and talent decisions within or outside of the market or region
- Ensure all key hotel roles have meaningful succession plans with detailed timelines for next moves
- Partner with GM/EC on quarterly talent reviews and ensures consistency across departments and align with Hilton’s diversity benchmarks
- Lead the implementation and delivery of training and leadership development programs and ensure Team Members receive specific training to perform their jobs
- Personally participate in the selection process for all management positions to ensure hotels select the best qualified candidates and ensure Hilton’s interviewing process (BBI) is followed for all positions
- Promote benefits and perks of working for Hilton through various communication and social media channels
- Engage in industry networking or academic events to ensure the most qualified, diverse applicants are attracted and selected for employment and showcases Hilton as an employer of choice
- Ensure mentoring and coaching culture is part of the hotel’s DNA and incorporate into career discussions
- Oversee, support and promote Hilton’s Performance Management process
- Ensure culture of not tolerating poor performance with 90-day PIPs in place, as needed
HR OPERATIONS EXCELLENCE:
- Possess subject matter expertise and ensure workplace standards/practices are compliant with federal/country, state/city laws and audit at 1x/year including but not limited to key areas of federal and state employment/labor laws, AAP, safety, immigration, etc. Payroll practices relevant to wage & hour compliance must be audited quarterly.
- Ensure HR budget is prepared with focus on creating high-impact Team Member experiences, expenses are managed and variances are monitored including workers' compensation, leased labor and unemployment insurance programs
- Ensure HR Basics are collectively in place and applied
- Ensure social/digital platforms are accessible and utilized across departments for purposes of real-time delivery of relevant property information and Team Member engagement
- Utilizes HR System with accuracy and trains HR team and all Team Members on proper use including TM self-service
- Maintain open lines of continuous, interactive communication with Team Members to ensure engagement (town halls, exit interviews, focus groups, coffee with Team Members)
- Embraces, implements and supports Americas HR Ops initiatives in alignment within the parameters and in support of audiences defined each year
What are we looking for?
- Minimum Education: BA/BS Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum Years of Experience: four (4) years as an HR Manager or Assistant HR Director within a Hilton full-service location HRD or four years’ combined experience in these roles within the hospitality industry
- Management Experience (type): Management of Entire Department
- Additional Requirements (i.e. % of travel time, etc.): 10% travel
- Core Competencies including but not limited to:
- Strategic Positioner: Able to position a business to win its market.
- Credible Activist: Able to build relationships of trust by having a proactive point of view.
- Paradox Navigator: Able to manage tensions inherent in business (including long-term and short-term tensions and top-down and bottom-up tensions.)
- Culture and Change Champion: Able to make change happen and manage organizational culture.
- Human Capital Curator: Able to manage the flow of talent by developing people and leaders, driving individual performance and building technical talent.
- Total Rewards Steward: Able to manage employee well-being through financial and non-financial rewards.
- Technology and Media Integrator: Able to use technology and social media to drive and create high-performing organizations.
- Analytics Designer and Interpreter: Able to use analytics to improve decision-making.
- Compliance Manager: Able to manage processes related to compliance by following regulatory guidelines.
- SHRM-SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification
- Master’s Degree
Since being founded in 1919, Hilton has been a leader in the hospitality industry. Today, Hilton remains a beacon of innovation, quality, and success. This continued leadership is the result of our Team Members staying true to our Vision, Mission, and Values. Specifically, we look for demonstration of these Values:
- Hospitality - We're passionate about delivering exceptional guest experiences.
- Integrity - We do the right thing, all the time.
- Leadership - We're leaders in our industry and in our communities.
- Teamwork - We're team players in everything we do.
- Ownership - We're the owners of our actions and decisions.
- Now - We operate with a sense of urgency and discipline
In addition, we look for the demonstration of the following key attributes:
- Customer Focus
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision “to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality” unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!