The Director of Engineeringis responsible for the operation, repair and maintenance of all buildings, machinery and equipment of the property. The Director of Engineering is also responsible for all aspects of the Engineering department to include the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all HVAC, refrigeration, pool, plumbing, electrical, irrigation, life safety, electrical and mechanical equipment/systems. This position will develop, coordinate and monitor all guest rooms, public spaces, equipment, and PM programs to ensure the reliability, safety, and comfort of all staff and guests. The Director of Engineering with supervise, train and manage all Engineering staff. The position reports to the General Manager and dotted line to Corporate Director of Engineering.
- Lead and execute all engineering and maintenance efforts.
- Develop, implement and maintain a comprehensive business plan that defines the hotel engineering objectives.
- Develop, coordinate and monitor all guest rooms and public spaces, equipment, and Preventative Maintenance programs to ensure the reliability, safety, and comfort of all staff and guests.
- Participate in public area walk-through with management to ensure guest rooms, public area and heart of the house areas are well maintained and preventative maintenance processes are in place.
- Responsible for overall management of Preventative Maintenance Program, HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatments, pneumatics, control systems, water systems, boilers, refrigeration, compressors, etc.
- Responsible for energy management of property.
- Responsible for overseeing capital construction and major maintenance projects.
- Organize and effectively manage Maintenance and repair of the Hotel.
- Establish and stay current on all safety and sanitation policies and procedures that impact the property.
- Establish relationships with vendors and monitor vendors to assure quality, delivery, warranties, upgrades, etc. are consistently utilized.
- Work closely with vendors to assure proper pricing, delivery and maintenance.
- Obtain competitive bids for all supplies and work orders.
- Implement OSHA and ADA programs to ensure compliance.
- Create and manage Lock out/Tag out program.
- Comprehensive knowledge of elevator operations, maintenance and inspections.
- Comprehensive knowledge of technology including television, internet, phone system, etc.
- Install and maintain eyewash stations, emergency evacuation floor plans in departments, and fire, life, safety detection/alarm device testing program.
- Consistently monitor the performance of employees on an on-going basis and provide feedback. Reward, discipline and document employee performance and provide timely counseling. Address employee complaints and resolve problems.
- Properly handle all administrative work with regard to interviewing, hiring, performance appraisals and terminations of staff.
- Maintain efficiency in the operation of the staff in a high standard of quality of service and courtesy, bringing total satisfaction to our guests and the hotel.
- Maintain close control and inventory of uniforms, supplies, and equipment.
- Prepare and post weekly schedules in accordance to guest needs and staff availability.
- Have a thorough knowledge of hotel fire regulations and policy, accident reports, safety programs, and what the direct duties are in relation to each; ensure that all associates are properly trained in these procedures.
- Implement proper training program and control the training of the staff to top efficiency and in accordance with policies and standard operation procedures.
- As Fire Safety Director, assist in training of fire brigade and deputy fire safety directors.
- Conduct monthly safety meetings with Human Resources
- Facilitate new hire training, departmental training modules; continually monitor, evaluate, and revise training content to reflect changes in the process; address the needs identified by associates.
- Accountable for the financial performance of the department.
- Create annual Capex budget and operating budget.
- Obtain property design and as-built drawings, specifications, submittal documents, testing & balance reports, commission documents, O&M manuals and warranty information for all equipment and systems.
- Obtain application registrations, certificates and permits and set up renewal monitoring program.
- Monitor departmental, payroll and supply expenses in accordance with budgetary goals.
- Be familiar with the operating procedures of all other areas of the hotel, cooperating fully and in a friendly manner with those areas to assure customer satisfaction.
- Follow supervisor’s instructions and complete other duties as directed or assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as Chief Engineer / Director of Engineering
- Hotel maintenance background preferred
- Technical knowledge in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, boilers, swimming pool certified and refrigeration required
The Hilton DC National Mall The Wharf provides equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to email@example.com to let us know the nature of your request.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)