The brand new South Lake Union Hotel in Seattle, featuring 265 guest rooms, 4,500 sq. ft. of meeting and event space, lobby level restaurant and bar, coffee bar, and a rooftop bar/lounge with indoor and outdoor space will open late summer 2021. This hotel is centrally located within South Lake Union, steps away from the Amazon Campus and within walking distance from the Seattle Center, Space Needle, Museum of Pop as well as the Climate Pledge Arena (future home of the Seattle Kraken). This brand new hotel with excellent street access will bring a comfortable space for guests and a new energy of Seattle’s future to the neighborhood at the corner of Terry and Thomas Avenue in the South Lake Union area of Seattle.
South Lake Union Hotel is seeking a knowledgeable and energetic Director of Sales and Marketing to join the pre-opening team! This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Sales Leader. The ideal candidate will have hotel opening experience and prior experience as a Director of Sales and Marketing.
The Director of Sales & Marketing is focused on attaining the hotel goals of maximizing revenue and profit in rooms and food & beverage while providing customers and guests with the highest level of quality service. The DOSM develops marketing plans, sales quotas, forecasts, and solicits and services business in the hotel in accordance with the marketing plan and assigned market segments. As the Sales Leader during the hotel opening, the DOSM will engage and drive the public relations generating a high profile and quality perception in the marketplace while optimizing revenues.
- Develop pricing and market strategies with the General Manager, Revenue Manager, and VP of Marketing. Constant monitoring of competition and marketplace in general; must be prepared and able to react under fluctuating market conditions.
- Prepare and execute annual marketing plan, promotion and advertising plans covering sales, food and beverage events, hotel promotions, media relations as well as participating in multiple property campaigns.
- Design plans and materials for promotions and public relations.
- Set, meet and/or exceed revenues, booking goals and within budgeted costs and revenue on a monthly average with the liberty to negotiate as needed on individual functions (within established limits) yet maintaining the overall revenue goals.
- Drive proactive efforts for sales and catering team to obtain the hotel’s fair share of revenue in the marketplace.
- Solicit new and repeat guest room and meeting business
- Maintain client base of key accounts and conventions.
- Identify and negotiate with local corporate accounts, professional sports teams, and medical related business specific to the local market.
- Make outside sales calls and telemarket to obtain business.
- Deliver impactful site inspections to book business.
- Complete coordination of the sales group functions; accurate and timely preparation of detailed sales proposals, contracts and group resumes as necessary to ensure a common quality understanding of what the client is to receive in terms of products and services. Review function contracts prior to distribution to client and hotel staff.
- Represent hotel in community affairs and industry related events.
- Understand and prepare, as needed, weekly activity report to include all financial booking performance and personal call reports for active solicitation performed.
- Hold a daily business review meeting with staff prior to starting the day reporting to stations.
- Hire qualified, goal and service oriented individuals and develop these individuals with clear guidelines to associates.
- Maintain efficiency in the operation of the staff in a high standard of quality of service and courtesy, bringing total satisfaction to our guests and the hotel.
- Provide technical and sales expertise to Catering Managers, while fostering the open channel of communication between Sales and Catering Departments.
- Facilitate departmental training modules; continually monitor, evaluate, and revise training content to reflect changes in the process; address the needs identified by associates.
- Accountable for the financial performance of the department with emphasis on achieving or exceeding of predetermined booking goals.
- Prepare and control hotel budget for sales, promotions and advertising.
- Prepare 30-60-90 Day Revenue Forecast on a monthly basis for presentation.
- As needed, check banquet functions prior to guest arrival and make personal contact with client at the time of function with proper introduction of service staff who will handle the event
- Maintain active liaison with competitors regionally through personal contacts, professional and industry associations.
- Contribute to the needs of the hotel as an Executive Committee member
- 5 years of experience as a Director of Sales at a full service property
- Experience with lifestyle brands or in other branded upscale hotel environment
- Four Star/Four Diamond, upscale hotel experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management or related area of study preferred
- Previous hotel opening experience preferred
- Previous experience in the Seattle market preferred
- Requirement to relocate as a full time resident to the area within 90 days of hire (if not local.)
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
South Lake Union Hotel LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you need accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please call 415-398-3333 to let us know the nature of your request.