Posted May 6, 2021Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
The Public Relations Manager is part of an important team that creates and executes property-level communications to our customers and media. Under the leadership of the Director of Marketing, this role promotes on-brand messaging to customers through traditional, digital, and social media channels all with the goal of enhancing the image of the hotel. This role builds strategic Public Relations plans, targeted campaigns, and social media content to drive consumer awareness and preference, and building broader portfolio and brand awareness. This role focuses on showcasing and supporting the hotels internal clients (Food and Beverage, Spa, Special Events, Sales, etc.) promotions, both to local, regional, national and international media and consumers. As part of the Sales & Marketing team, this role is fully connected into resources in their region; Public Relations Managers liaise and build deep partnerships with their regional Convention and Visitors Association, State Tourism and Marriott brand teams. This role acts as the spokesperson for the hotel when internal partners are unavailable; provides crisis communications assistance; and ensures all public information is displayed correctly and effectively for the business. Success is measured by how well they help drive the sales and revenue strategy of the property, social media engagement and also by how effectively leveraged the resources around them are to create truly compelling marketing and communications campaigns.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Marketing, Business Administration, or related major; 4 years experience in public relations, communications, or related professional area. OR
• 4-year degree from an accredited university in Marketing, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in public relations, communications, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
• Develops a comprehensive PR plan per quarter, including group, leisure and local efforts, and executes post sign-off from Director of Marketing.
• Maintains a comprehensive list of local, regional and national media contacts, with additional focus on area influencers/bloggers.
• Writes and distributes all press materials (press kits, press releases, advertorials) for property events, promotions, and outlets.
• Manages the execution of hotel media events and press promotional activities.
• Supports pull through of impactful PR strategy & activities to drive quality press coverage through media engagement, in alignment with communications objectives.
• Verifies the news clippings and other online, print, and social media mention report is completed on a monthly basis for property distribution.
• Evaluates new public relations opportunities and vets PR leads from area partners regarding which are the best media to promote the hotel during need periods.
• Supports the coordination of photography for F&B, Special Events and Spa advertising, collateral and public relations
• Manages photo/video legal contracts for marketing and public relations projects.
• Manages photo shoots for seasonal or festive promotions in partnership with brand marketing team.
• Provides accurate, complete and effective communications to visiting journalists, publicity or promotions.
• Works with Internal Communications Team to ensure that property is following all corporate public relations guidelines.
• Manages Cirsis Communications Plan and participates in yearly round-table exercises
• Familiarization with Cision (or comparable PR reporting program)
Building Successful Relationships
• Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new travel writers and local media to ensure future exposure. Activities include calls, entertainment, FAM trips, trade shows, etc.
• Develops relationships within community to strengthen and expand customer base for sales opportunities and additional revenue.
• Manages and develops relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Conducts solicitation and maintenance calls to media.
• Provides all communications channels with creative and unique tools to assist in the public relations and communications of the property.
• Acts as liaison between corporate and individual properties in rolling out programs and making sure that properties are taking advantage of all opportunities provided through corporate.
• Assists property in developing promotions for various campaigns.
Developing External Communication Efforts
• Provides accurate, complete and effective communications to media partners.
• Evaluates new public relations opportunities for the property.
• Develops strategic public relations plan for property, including group, leisure and local efforts.
• Manages individual and group media visits.
• Provides strategic counsel, issues statements and supports Executive Teams at property.
• Creates contracts as required for location photo shoots, trade agreements, etc. with appropriate approvals.
• Writes all hotel press releases and other content for print media and electronic media.
• Responsible for hotel crisis communications and emergency plans in partnership with corporate and security.
Social Media Content Management
• Develops and executes monthly content calendar including promotion campaigns for F&B, weddings, spa, rooms and conferences
• Facilitates social media engagement and develops reports to share with key stakeholders
• Engages in proactive online reputation management by surfacing relevant guest comments (positive or negative) in social media channels and responding accordingly.
• Collaborate with Marketing team on campaigns; editing collateral; developing copy; and other projects as needed.
• Assists and manages the development, coordination and execution of all communications activities with a strong emphasis on property Special Events, F&B and Spa promotions and campaigns.
• Supports communications duties and functions as deemed necessary.
• Partners with Director of Marketing to create marketing plan aligned to hotel sales and revenue strategy for key steakholders.
• Provides training and public relations leadership and act as a public relations subject matter expert for GMs, Sales Leaders and Managers, and Revenue leaders.
• Keeps abreast of competition and its collateral, advertising, and marketing efforts and constantly evolving digital, marketing and public relations trends.
• Keeps detailed files and records on all matters relative to property's public materials.
• Ensures that property is following all corporate public relations guidelines.
• Adaptability - Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
• Communication - Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behavior; and models active listening to ensure understanding.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
• Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
• Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
• Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
• Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
• Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
• Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
• Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
• Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
• Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
• Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
• Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
• Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
o Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
o Sales Ability: Persuasiveness - Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea from prospects and clients.
o Sales Opportunity Analysis - Understanding and utilizing economic, financial, industry, and organizational data; accurately diagnosing customers’ business strengths, weaknesses, and key issues that can inform sales strategies and plans.
• Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.