The Assistant Housekeeping Director is responsible for the efficient and effective daily operation relating to the department, as set forth by the Resort's standards and will administer the supervision of all housekeeping staff.
The Assistant Director of Housekeeping is also responsible for overseeing the overall success of our in house Laundry Department.
Education Requirements: High School diploma required. Four-year progressive housekeeping supervisory/management required. Four-year college degree preferred but not required.
License/Permits Required: Must have valid driver's license for the applicable state.
Required Skills: Must be able to read, write and speak English.
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or SoftwareAbility to understand and effectively utilize above average computer equipment and applications, to include but not limited to: Microsoft Office Suite, Excel and Property or Lodging Management Systems (Visual One). Must be able to efficiently process and export data from LMS, Time/Attendance and other property systems.
Previous Experience Required: Experience with properties (Hotels and Resorts) in excess of 500 rooms. Have a broad understanding of the tourism industry and the day-to-day operations of a hotel/resort are helpful.
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and /or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Flexible and long hours sometimes required including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to stand during entire shift.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must work well in stressful, high-pressure situations.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
- Must be able to adapt to a broad range of customer interactions, inquiries, and complaints.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions and statistical analysis.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment
Essential Duties & Functions
- Comply with Kalahari Resorts standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Provide an issue free work environment through motivation, support, consistency, training and development for all housekeeping associates.
- Direct all housekeeping activities for the resort including but not limited to room housekeeping (condos and resort), common areas, laundry, lost and found, turndown service, and housemen.
- Provide training for and maintain safety and security standards for equipment, supplies, associates and work areas.
- Ensure the quality of service for the resort rooms, public areas and offices including any outlets leased or rented to third parties, as applicable.
- Assign housekeeping workloads for optimum service.
- Solve, rectify and mediate all guest complaints and maintain guest complaint reports.
- Work in partnership with the Front Office staff to ensure rooms are available when needed providing up-to-date and accurate room status reports.
- Work in partnership with Maintenance to ensure guest rooms and all public areas are at peak operating levels.
- Work with outside suppliers, linen services, and Laundry staff as needed ensuring orders and rooms linens are issue free and in line with Resort standards.
- Maintain housekeeping inventory control as it relates to equipment, supplies, linen and other FF&E (furniture, fixtures, and expenditures).
- Submit purchase orders for needed supplies in line with forecast and budget and outside services for approval.
- Receive and confirm deliveries of supplies and services.
- Control the distribution of all housekeeping supplies.
- Assist in Safety Program as required.
- Prepare and adjust work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts and process payroll accordingly.
- Consistently act in accordance with Company’s management relation’s philosophy, strategy and procedures as well as Company policies and procedures and department SOP’s.
- Ensure associates uphold all services, procedures and communication standards as outlined by Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ensure completion of regular maintenance and cleaning projects on a bi-annual basis.
- Ensure all VIP’s, special guests and requests are completed and fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Create, implement and analyze manual and automated reports.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of all market segments and management strategies and techniques.
Director of Housekeeping Job Expectations continued:
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility by developing and managing budgets and control costs in relation to revenue.
- Develop and deliver effective skills training.
- Hold regular and routine staff meetings such as the Daily Promise, to ensure optimal communication between entire staff.
- Motivate, coach, teach, train, counsel and discipline associates, supervisors, managers according to Kalahari SOP’s.
- Use proper two-way radio etiquette when communicating with all associates.
- Inspect rooms daily to ensure the highest level of cleanliness, presentation, and atmosphere for all guests.
- Ensure all cleaning products, sanitation supplies, hazardous materials, and equipment are used per specification and stored safely in the proper containers.
- Understand all duties of Room Attendants, Housepersons, and Supervisors and assist when needed.