As a Host or Hostess; prompt recognition and providing a warm and friendly greeting with a smile and responsive service is essential to create a beyond expectation dining experience for all guests. Manage the efficiency and timeliness of seating guests to their tables with their wishes in mind. To actively participate as a team and use core values and service expectations listed in the Kalahari Promise daily.
Required Skills: Must be able to read and comprehend simple instructions. Ability to write short correspondence. Must have a good understanding of basic math skills. Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills are a must while maintaining a clear and upbeat voice.
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or Software: Ability to operate a cash register, Micros terminal, Phone system, POS system.
Previous Experience Required: General food and beverage knowledge involving at least 1 year of front-of-the-house operations is preferred. Prior restaurant experience in a full-service restaurant is preferred but not required and/or background in the service industry is a plus. Ability to handle money and operate a point-of-sale system.
- Must be able to frequently communicate and develop rapport with guests.
- Must be able to work on your feet and in a constant motion for long periods of times (up to 5 hours).
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to lift and balance trays frequently.
- Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly, and courteous service at all times.
- Greet and welcome guests, in a friendly manner; escorting them to the assigned dining area. Rotate tables when seating guests throughout the shift.
- When immediate seating is limited, record guest names and number of people in party.
- Call out name and number of party when tables become available in a courteous and friendly manner with a pleasant, professional, and clear tone of voice.
- Provide guests with estimated waiting times.
- Accommodate special seating requests for guests whenever possible and be aware of seat needs for physically-challenged guests and young children.
- Seat guests based on guest preferences and balancing customer flow in service stations.
- Upon seating, present menus; announce server’s name. Inspect table for proper presentation and completeness.
- Answer questions about food, beverage, restaurant functions, services, and resort services and activities.
- Relay messages to servers and bussers as needed.
- If asked, take food and beverage orders from guests, enter orders in the point-of-sale system which relays orders to the kitchen and bar.
- Perform side work at the start and end of each shift as required by Host/Hostess station assignment. Stock cabinets and shelves with supplies as needed.
- Maintain clean, neat, and organized service area.
- Monitor and observe guests dining experience. Ensure guests are satisfied with the food, beverage, and service. Respond promptly and courteously to their needs and requests.
- If asked, prepare final bill, present check to guest, accept payment, process credit card charges, or make change if applicable.
- Be ready and willing to assist fellow associates (servers, bussers, co-host/hostess, and management) as situations rise.
- Take room service orders over the phone if applicable and handle any kitchen “to go” orders.
- Complete room service and table tracking forms.
- Be available to fill in as needed to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the restaurant as directed by the restaurant manager or immediate supervisor.
- Perform all opening and closing duties as requested.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition by handling the equipment per instruction following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, associates and guests.
- Follow all laws pertaining to Alcohol Sales and Guest Safety.
- Follow safe food handling procedures and provide a safe environment for our guests and associates.
- Participate in training classes and all Daily Promise shift meetings & pre-meal service meetings.
- Report all concerns and problems to the Restaurant Manager and Supervisors when appropriate.
- Assist with ongoing projects, additional job duties as assigned through managers.