As a Restaurant Sous Chef, you will support and assist the Restaurant Chef in the oversight of the restaurant and room service kitchen operation. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting in the preparation of food items for all restaurant/room service/food outlet meals, hiring, training, scheduling, and directing culinary staff; visually inspecting all food products to be served to ensure they all meet the quality standards set out by departmental and resort management. He/she is also responsible for assisting in ensuring the cleanliness, sanitation and safety in the kitchen, and storage areas while minimizing waste and maximizing cost/production ratio.
Education Requirements: High School diploma or GED equivalent required. 1 year of related progressive experience as a culinary graduate and/or at least 1 year of progressive culinary experience in a hotel restaurant/food outlet facility or related field.
License/Permits Required: State or Local Law may require a certificate upon completion of state-certified proper food handling certification. ServSafe® certification is a plus.
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or Software: Proficient computer skills should include; various computer programs, Micros system, e-mail and the Internet. Operating knowledge of food management systems is helpful.
Kitchen equipment to be operated, but not limited to are: Flat grill, Pasta well, Steam table, Browning oven, Cheese chopper/grater, Steam jacket, Ovens, Top Burners, Pizza and Dessert Cooler, Slicer, Broiler, Steamer, and Knives.
Previous Experience Required:
- 1 + years experience in a high-volume restaurant/food outlets production kitchen is preferred.
- 1+ years of culinary supervisory experience in restaurant and food service with inventory and purchasing knowledge and control is needed.
- Prior experience with P&L accountability and/or managed food service experience with a proven ability to successfully control food costs are preferred.
- Must be able to communicate, read, write, and speak English effectively.
- Bi-lingual skills are preferred but not required.
- Ability to calculate figures amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Excellent interpersonal service skills and organizational skills to plan time effectively.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, busy, and somewhat stressful environment, work under pressure and meet deadlines with particular attention to detail.
- Supervisory, leadership, management and coaching skills needed.
- Ability to communicate on various levels to include senior management, customers, vendors, and associates.
- Proficient in menu development, cost controls, purchasing and inventory.
- Ability to get along well with others, to demonstrate flexibility and patience, to work as a member of a team.
- Good knowledge of food trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentations.
- Must be able to work in a stationary position for long periods of times (up to 5 hours).
- Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Must possess the ability to access all areas of the kitchen, the ability to move frequently & freely about facility.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged standing, stretching, bending, kneeling, lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 lbs. without restriction.
- Must be able to work in close quarters or small rooms and is occasionally exposed to hot, cold, wet and/or humid condition.
- Work environmental factors include noise, dust, and smoke.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
- Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger. Collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Ensure proper receiving and storage of food products so as to comply with health department regulations; and adherence to all cost and quality control procedures.
- Assist in maintaining and updating menu specifications, recipes and pictures, and ensure that the same are being followed.
Ensure food quality and consistency and adherence to standards.
Assist Restaurant Chef in being liaison to maintain quality product, maximize product usage, optimize food cost, and maximize revenues.
- Supervise and assist with the preparation, plating and delivery of food.
Adhere to HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point)guidelines to ensure efficient, safe and sanitary food production, preparation and presentation.
- Ensure banquet items are completed on time an
- Aid in the security of food items; ensure the meat locker, storerooms and walk-ins are locked when not in use.
- Handle guest complaints or disputes which associates are not able to settle.
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly, and courteous service at all times.
- Ensure that all food and beverage products are consistently prepared and served according to the facility recipes, portioning, cooking, timing, serving, and presentation standards.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the culinary preventative maintenance programs.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the kitchen areas, associates and guests.
- Assist in maintaining paperwork for attendance records, payroll adjustments, payroll, monthly and yearly budgets, and Human Resource reporting requirements.
- Assist in monitoring par and inventory levels for restaurant and resort specifications.
- Participate in training classes, Daily Promise shift meetings, F&B meetings, and Manager Meetings when requested.
- Keep an open line of communication with all departments and keep them posted on what is happening in the department.
- Provide advice and suggestions to Restaurant Chef when needed.