It is the primary responsibility for the Baker to assist the Pastry Sous Chef in bake shop operations assuring the proper preparation of all baked items for the Resort's restaurants, food and beverage outlets, and banquet day-to-day pastry production and operations.
Education Requirements: High School diploma or GED equivalent is required. An Associate's Degree in F&B and/or course certification from an accredited Culinary Institute is helpful.
License/Permits Required: State or Local Law may require a certificate upon completion of state-certified proper food handling certification.
- Must be able to communicate, read, write, and speak English effectively.
- Ability to calculate figures amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume helpful.
- Excellent interpersonal service skills and organizational skills to plan time effectively.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, busy, and somewhat stressful environment, work under pressure and meet deadlines with particular attention to detail.
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or Software:
Computer experience with Excel and Microsoft software programs are helpful.
Previous Experience Required:
1 year experience in a high-volume/fine dining/Banquet/Pastry production kitchen, preferably in a hotel/resort environment is helpful.
- Must be able to frequently communicate and develop rapport with guests and associates and have a working relationship with the resort management team.
- Must be able to work in a stationary position for long periods of times (up to 8 hours).
- Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Must possess the ability to access all areas of the kitchen, the ability to move frequently & freely about facility.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged standing, stretching, bending, kneeling, lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 lbs. without restriction.
- Must be able to work in close quarters or small rooms and is occasionally exposed to hot, cold, wet and/or humid condition.
- Work environmental factors include noise, dust, and smoke.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
- Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger. Collect accurate information and resolve conflicts
Essential Duties & Functions
- Help Pastry Sous Chef decorative cakes, statuaries and ornaments for special events, parties, and banquets.
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly, and courteous service at all times.
- Ensure that all food and beverage products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant's recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the culinary preventative maintenance programs.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the pastry areas, associates and guests.
- Participate in training classes and all Daily Promise shift meetings.
- Keep an open line of communication with Pastry Sous Chef and Executive Pastry Chef and Banquet Departments and keep them posted on what is happening in the department.