The Banquet Manager will assist the Director of Convention Center & Banquet Operations to lead the Banquet, Setup, and Audio Visual staff in the day-to-day operations of the Banquet Department. Also ensures the quality of service, compliance with health, safety, and sanitation and alcohol awareness standards. They are responsible for the banquet team to operate in a “for-profit” environment as well as ensure guest service is beyond expectations so that the Resort will meet and/or exceed budgeted expectations.
- Four-year Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel and Restaurant field preferred. High school diploma or equivalent is required.
License/Permits Required: Must have valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to read, write and fluently speak English. Bilingual skills helpful.
- Skilled in oral/written communication and listening are required.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, supervisory and time management skills required.
- Guest Relations: To have the ability to work with clients, management and associates is critical.
- Must have multi-task skills and experience to implement large group activities that require the coordination of numerous services.
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or SoftwareAbility to understand and effectively utilize above average computer equipment and applications, to include but not limited to: Microsoft Word, Excel, PMS, Delphi, meetings, and audio visual related software.
Previous Experience Required:
- Must have at least 2 years of supervisory or management experience in food service or the hospitality industry in a convention center or large hotel (over 500 room property).
- Prior experience as a server, captain, and set-up houseperson is required.
- Have a broad understanding of the tourism industry and the day-to-day operations of a hotel/resort are helpful.
- Heavy work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Flexible and long hours sometimes required including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to move frequently throughout the large facilities.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must work well in stressful, high-pressure situations.
- Must be able to show initiative in job performance, including anticipating what needs to be done before it becomes a necessity.
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
- Must be able to adapt to a broad range of customer interactions, inquiries, and complaints.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions and statistical analysis.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
- Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Schedule the proper set-up and break-down of all banquet functions, coordinating the activities of all assigned personnel and department responsibilities.
- Coordinate banquet service needs with food production.
- Maintain the highest quality of service related to all banquet and meetings service.
- Ensure associate and guest safety in the set-up and arrangement of banquet functions.
- Maintain accurate banquet and function records including banquet checks.
- Direct banquet captain and waiters in the proper service of food and beverage in accordance to contractual agreements.
- Direct and ensure the proper handling, usage and storage of all banquet equipment and supplies.
- Greet and maintain warm, hospitable guest relations in all guest contact.
- Maintain the cleanliness of all banquet rooms, service areas and equipment.
- Assist in designing food and beverage displays for buffets, coffee breaks and special events.
- Maintain constant communication with the Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Director, Director of Convention Center & Banquet Operations, Beverage Manager, Conference Services & Catering Directors and their respective staffs.
- Check quality of work, monitor improvements and performance, and ensure that staff adheres to the hotel uniform and grooming standards.
- Participate in pre-convention meetings, to brief involved departments and solicit their input.
- Ensure that charges are correctly posted to group master account.
- Supervise the work of staff by delegating assignments and checking the quality of completed work.
- Assist with hiring, terminating, counseling, discipline and evaluating banquet staff.
- Provide facility tours and site inspections for clients and potential clients, in conjunction with sales and catering managers when requested.
- Interact with sales and group coordinators to ensure that clients’ plans are implemented.
- Ensure that accounting/billing coordinators receive accurate information on services used.
- Monitor various resort services, such as golf, food & beverage, floral, transportation, and special activities for groups.
- Fully understand and promote all property marketing programs.
- Conduct performance reviews of all direct reports.
- Submit required reports on a weekly, monthly, annual basis as requested.
- Ensure completion of all forms within the department (guest complaints, lost business, weekly recaps, contracts, proposals, banquet checks, etc.)
- Review banquet event orders to ensure they are maximizing revenues, work efficiently for the resort operations’ teams, and provide an environment for optimal guest service.
- Ensure prop and storage rooms are clean and organized.
- Maintain adequate inventories of banquet service supplies to meet the needs of the hotel and guests.
- Maintain a high quality image of the hotel through effective housekeeping, maintenance, and sanitation in the area of responsibility.
- Respond to individual guest needs as they occur.
- Assist Director in coordination of implementation of strategies for open communication throughout the resort for its guests and associates.
- Submit purchase orders for needed supplies in line with forecast and budget and outside services for approval.
- Prepare and adjust work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts and process payroll accordingly.
- Provide an issue free work environment through motivation, support, consistency, training and development for all associates.
- Solve, rectify and mediate all guest complaints and maintain guest complaint reports.
- Consistently act in accordance with Company’s management relation’s philosophy, strategy and procedures as well as Company policies and procedures and department SOP’s.
- Ensure associates uphold all services, procedures and communication standards as outlined by Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintain a harmonious relationship with all other departments within the hotel.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of all in-house convention groups and meetings, management strategies and techniques.
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility by developing and managing budgets and control costs in relation to revenue.
- Develop and deliver effective banquet skills training.
- Attend Food & Beverage, BEO, Safety and Department Head meetings.
- Hold regular and routine staff meetings such as the Daily Promise, to ensure optimal communication between entire staff.
- Monitor, counsel and discipline associates, supervisors, managers according to Kalahari SOP’s.
- Understand all duties of Banquet Teams and assist when needed.