The Executive Steward is responsible for the overall operations of the stewarding department. This managerial position will include the leadership and oversight of all stewarding associates resort wide to ensure that each outlet is maintained above the cleanliness, sanitation and health department standards. This person will also be responsible for the inventory of the resort’s china, glass and silverware by proper breakdown, washing, storage and movement of said inventory. The Executive Steward is responsible for cleaning and maintaining kitchen equipment. The Executive Steward is responsible for all cleaning chemicals and ensuring that chemical usage and safety is a top priority throughout the resort.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Supervise activities of cleaning stewards, dishwashers, pot washers, to ensure proper sanitation and storage.
- Check banquet hallways, loading dock, and receiving area for cleanliness.
- Comply and assure compliance with all safety standards by following all safety rules, sanitation criteria, and procedures.
- Supervise and maintain the sanitation of kitchens, storerooms, hallways, dock, and equipment.
- Prepare route sheets for event activities for the day.
- Assist with implementation of safety training, standardized technical and operational training.
- Supervise and assist with cleaning and sanitation of all restaurant outlet and banquet kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Assist with enforcing kitchen product safety parameters, such as HACCP, serve safe and product risk assessment procedures.
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly, and courteous service at all times.
- Implement and maintain specified report, ordering, and accounting systems.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of necessary supplies for sanitation of equipment and supplies.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the culinary and sanitation preventative maintenance programs.
- Assist with associate performance appraisals; that procedures are followed and reviews completed in a timely basis.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the kitchen areas, associates and guests.
- Participate in training classes, Daily Promise shift meetings, BEO meetings, F&B meetings, and Manager Meetings when requested.
- Keep an open line of communication with all departments and keep them posted on what is happening in the department.
- Schedule associates to work in assigned areas as needed by banquets and outlets meeting financial targets.
- Hiring and recruiting associates.
- Provide advice and suggestions to Executive Chef when needed.
- Must be able to communicate, read, write, and speak English effectively.
- Bi-lingual skills are preferred but not required.
- Excellent interpersonal service skills and organizational skills to plan time effectively.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, busy, and somewhat stressful environment, work under pressure and meet deadlines with particular attention to detail.
- Ability to get along well with others, to demonstrate flexibility and patience, to work as a member of a team.
- Understanding of kitchen, restaurant, and banquet equipment sanitation requirements is needed.
- Must be able to work in a stationary position for long periods of times (up to 5 hours).
- Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Must possess the ability to access all areas of the kitchen, the ability to move frequently & freely about facility.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged standing, stretching, bending, kneeling, lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 lbs. without restriction.
- Must be able to work in close quarters or small rooms and is occasionally exposed to hot, cold, wet and/or humid condition.
- Work environmental factors include noise, dust, and smoke.
- Ability to participate in off-property food and beverage events and special events as needed.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
- Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
Leads the team of stewards.
This job operates in an active, laud environment.
The Associate is required to constantly stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch. Constantly required reach and grasp. The Associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is an exempt position, with various work hours and days, based on business needs. This position regularly requires evening, weekend and holiday work.
Preferred Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
College course in Sanitation or related field helpful.
5 + years experience in a Stewarding and/or Dishwasher capacity for a high-volume/fine dining/Restaurant/Food and Beverage Outlet/ Banquet Department or production kitchen helpful.
2+ years of culinary/stewarding supervisor experience in food service, fine dining, or restaurant is helpful.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Associate for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Kalahari Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.