As a Supervisor, and role model to the associates; provide the guest with food and beverages served with a fun, friendly, professional, attentive approach that will ensure guest satisfaction beyond expectations.
Education Requirements: High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) is required. Restaurant and/or hotel and resort experience is helpful.
License/Permits Required: Valid driver’s license required and must be least 21 years of age. State or Local Law may require a certificate upon completion of an alcohol awareness/safety class as well as state-certified proper food handling certification.
Required Skills: Must be able to communicate, read, write, and speak English effectively. Bi-lingual skills are preferred but not required.
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or Software: Ability to operate a cash register, Micros terminal, Phone system, beverage dispenser, POS system, ADP, NetVuPoint, Groupwise, and other types of restaurant and kitchen equipment. Computer skills such as Word and Excel are helpful.
Previous Experience Required: General food and beverage knowledge involving at least 1 year of front-of-the-house operations and/or supervisory positions in a hotel or resort setting is preferred. Prior restaurant experience in a full-service restaurant is a must. It is preferred that the person has at least 1 year of directly related experience.
- Must be able to frequently communicate and develop rapport with guests and associates and have a working relationship with the resort management team.
- Must be able to work in a stationary position for long periods of times (up to 5 hours).
- Must be able to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Must be able to frequently climb, balance, dance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
- Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger. Collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Support the Restaurant Manager, Assistant Manager, and F&B Director and understand completely all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs for all food and beverage outlets within the Resort communicating expectations and enforcing those policies and procedures with restaurant associates.
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly, and courteous service at all times.
- Ensure that all food and beverage products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Achieve company objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility, and sanitation and cleanliness through training of associates and creating a positive, productive working environment.
- Control cash and other receipts by adhering to cash handling and reconciliation procedures in accordance with restaurant and resort policies and procedures.
- Fill in where needed (as Associate) to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations are met daily.
- Continually strive to develop, coach, and train your staff in all areas of professional development.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Ensure that all products are received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Oversee, participate and ensure that restaurant policies on
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, associates and guests.
- Assist Managers in developing, planning, and carrying out restaurant marketing, advertising and promotional activities and campaigns and when applicable, get proper approvals from Corporate Marketing, F&B Directors, Promotions Managers, Franchise Directors, and/or Owner of Kalahari Resorts to ensure it meets Resort standards.
- Assist with programs that ensure a safe facility and work environment that is in compliance with all appropriate regulations – Ergonomics, Emergency Response, Injury and Illness Prevention, and Hazard Communications, schedules, direction to supervisors.
- Assist in training, coaching, monitoring associates’ service to the guest and perform services to include: daily checklists, tour guides of the menu, knowledge of menu items with their methods of preparation and ingredients used, order taking, server/busser steps of service, up-selling and/or suggestive selling, computer systems and methods of payment, coordinating timing of meal service with the kitchen, consistency of service, plate positioning and presentation, entertainment expertise such as Bar Flaring and Dynamic food presentation, guest interaction and “table touching”, problem solving, making the guests feel welcome, thanking them and inviting them back, Living the Kalahari Promise, clearing and general cleaning and organization of guest areas, side stations, and back-of-the-house equipment, maintaining resort property, inspecting pre-meal, after-meal prep, cleanup, and table settings.
- Work in concert with the kitchen team to ensure back-of-the-house needs are being met.
- Ensure that the kitchen is providing all orders on time and made with quality and consistency, according to specifications.
- Ensure that all associates are aware of guests’ rate of consumption of alcohol and its effect and take immediate corrective action to help the guest as well as to protect the interest of Kalahari Resorts and its associates.
- Train and ensure that all servers, support staff, and bartenders are monitoring levels of alcohol consumption of guests in accordance with laws, practicing responsible alcohol awareness at all times.
- Ensure that all staff is following and practicing all laws pertaining to Alcohol Sales and Guest Safety.
- Ensure that all staff is following safe food handling procedures and providing a safe environment for our guests and associates.
- Understand how to open and close the restaurant/food and beverage venue, and the ability to perform each position in the front-of-house and back-of-house.
- Train new servers, bussers, hosts, bartenders, room service attendants on such areas as wine etiquette, up-selling, pre and post meal etiquette and meal service; as well as monitor current associates’ consistency of restaurant/bar steps of service.
- Assist with training staff in proper hygiene, uniform attire, food, beverage, up-selling, and cleanliness standards.
- Help with maintaining responsibility of food and labor costs.
- Assist with requisitions for all areas of restaurant and maintain all paperwork, ensuring it matches the weekly flash report and F&B/resort requirements as it relates to cost control.
- Maintain paperwork for tips, attendance records, guest receipts, sales tracking, guest comps, financial statements, payroll adjustments, punch charges, payroll, executive summaries, monthly and yearly budgets, and Finance and Human Resource reporting requirements.
- Assist in monitoring par and inventory levels for business, guest, and resort specifications.
- Conduct and participate in training classes and all Daily Promise shift meetings, “luau” meetings (if Kahunaville), pre-meal service meetings, orientation meetings, BEO meetings, F&B meetings, and Manager meetings if Assistant Manager is unavailable to attend.
- Report all concerns and problems to the Restaurant Manager and Assistant Manager when appropriate.
- Ensure friendly and courteous customer relations at all times, identifying and welcoming current patrons and work to identify and grow future business through guest relations.
- Keep an open line of communication with all departments and keep them posted on what is happening in the department.
- Protect dining room assets by adhering to security policies and procedures.
- Assist in welcoming patrons by exchanging pleasantries, escorting them to dining area, seating them, presenting and introducing menus and announcing server’s name.
- Assist in placing weekly product orders.
- Complete weekly and ongoing projects as assigned through managers.
- Provide advice and suggestions to Managers when needed.