As Cashier, provide a genuine smile and friendly, responsive service to guests to help create a beyond expectation dining or take-out experience. To actively participate as a team and use core values and service expectations listed in the Kalahari Promise daily.
Education Requirements: High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred.
Required Skills: Must be able to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Must have good understanding of basic math skills. Must be able to add, subtract, multiple and divide in all unites of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills are a must. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other associates of the Resort.
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or Software: Ability to operate a Micros terminal/cash register.
Previous Experience Required: General food and beverage knowledge involving at least 1 year of front-of-the-house operations is helpful. Prior restaurant experience in a full-service restaurant or fast-food venue or as a cashier is helpful. Background in the service industry is a plus.
- Must be able to frequently communicate and develop rapport with guests and associates and have a working relationship with the resort management team.
- Must be able to work in a stationary position for long periods of times (up to 8 hours).
- Must be able to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Must be able to frequently climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to lift and balance trays frequently.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
- Must be able to work with basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
- Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger. Collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Must be able to work well in stressful situations.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly, and courteous service at all times.
- Must be able to greet guests with energy, a genuine smile, positive body language, focused eye contact, and in a timely fashion.
- Follow correct cash/credit handling procedures; process orders by recording order and computing bill.
- Be able to perform credit card and room charge transactions.
- Check cash drawer for correct change and accuracy.
- Fill out cash drop envelopes.
- Change should not be given without purchase unless management is there to authorize.
- Checks should not be closed out to zero cash. If there are mistakes, a supervisor/manager should be notified to make corrections.
- Remove garbage throughout the shift and at the end of the shift.
- Report all concerns and problems to the Supervisors/Managers when appropriate.
- Ensure friendly and courteous customer relations at all times, identifying and welcoming current patrons and work to identify and grow future business through guest relations.
- Keep an open line of communication with all departments and keep them posted on what is happening in the department.