This position is responsible for the planning, direction and management of the financial information of the hotel and establishes, coordinates and administers all financial systems, internal controls and the hotel's capital plan.
- The position is responsible for short- and long-term planning and the daily operations of the Finance department.
- This position participates in total hotel management as a member of the hotel's Executive Committee.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the oversight and direction of the preparation of the annual plan and monthly forecasts, recommendations to management financial direction and goal setting, preparation of annual reports, compliance to Federal, State, Local and Company guidelines in regard to all financial record keeping and transaction.
Responsible for the selection, hiring and development of staff members.
Education Requirements: A four year college degree (accounting preferred) or equivalent education/experience.
License/Permits Required: Requires professional certification (e.g. CPA) or the equivalent level of experience.
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or SoftwareManage the installation and maintenance of accounting computer systems and equipment to ensure optimum performance
Previous Experience Required: Experience required by position is five to ten years of employment in a related position (Finance/Accounting) with this company or other organization(s).
Requires advanced knowledge of the accounting, finance and hospitality profession.
Requires working knowledge of the major areas and the skill to integrate and communicate that information.
Ability to study, analyze and interpret complex activities or information in order to improve known practices or develop new approaches.
Ability to make decisions based on only general policies and procedures.
Must possess communication skills in terms of the ability to negotiate, convince, sell and influence professionals, management and/or hotel guests...
A minimum of 10% travel required to other company hotels and corporate office for meetings, training and task forces is required.
- Must be able to work in a stationary position for long periods of times (up to 5 hours)
- Must be able to frequently move throughout the resort in order to have access to all sleeping rooms, food and beverage outlets/venues in a large resort.
- Must have the stamina to work up to 60+ hours per week.
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
- Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger. Collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced, energetic environment that is constantly changing based on room occupancy and group business.
- Needs to be known as a profit-oriented person.
Essential Duties & Functions
Develops and recommends the department's budget and objectives and manages within those approved plans.
Provide the timely dissemination of reports to management to assist in achieving bottom line results.
Consults and clears with the COO any accounting transactions or control procedures which are not specifically addressed in company Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual or which requires interpretation.
Establish plan that provides profit planning, sales forecasts, expense budgets, capital requirement/needs, cost standards and the necessary procedures for affecting the plan.
Formulate local accounting policy, coordinate systems and procedures and prepare operating data and special reports as required to compare performance with operating plans and standards and to report and interpret the results of operations to all levels of management and ownership (where applicable) to ensure timely information is provided in order to maximize profits.
Act as a financial consultant; provide information on the financial impact of business decisions for all segments of management responsible for policy or action concerning any phase of the business that relates to attainment of objectives, effectiveness of policies and organization structure and procedures.
Establish and administer all tax filing and government reporting procedures to ensure accurate, timely information is provided in compliance with laws and regulations.
Monitor compliance with hotel and accounting policies and procedures, legal requirements and contractual obligations (including obligations under a management agreement) utilizing internal controls, auditing and security procedures to ensure deviations are brought to the attention of the General Manager and appropriate corporate management and to protect the hotel's assets.
Manage department’s staffing in order to attract, retain and motivate the associates; hire, train, develop, empower, coach and counsel, conduct performance and salary reviews, resolve problems and provide open communication vehicles and discipline and terminate as appropriate.
Has a fiduciary responsibility to company and management.
Lead and/or participate in the Daily Promise meetings, Executive Committee Meetings, Department Meetings when applicable.
Performs special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.