DEPARTMENT: Food and Beverage
SUPERVISOR: Banquet Captain/Food & Beverage Manager/Assistant General Manager/General Manager
POSITION OVERVIEW: Provide courteous service following hotel standards while preparing alcoholic drinks for guests of a catered event. Thorough knowledge of standard drink recipes and be able to mix them quickly and accurately. Bartender is responsible for checking the identification of all customers seated at bars to ensure that they meet the minimum drinking age. Take drink orders, serve drinks, and collect payment for drinks. Up-sell food and beverage by making well Informed and eloquent suggestions. Maintain a high standard of sanitation and cleanliness. Work to resolve guest challenges, ensuring guest satisfaction.
This industry functions seven (7) days a week, twenty-four (24) hours a day. Regular attendance in accordance with company standards is essential for success in this position.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED): or Work Equivalent
- Computer skills required. Familiarity with Microsoft Office preferred. Experience with food & beverage (POS) Point of Sale System is preferred.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in food and beverage is preferred.
- Previous cash handling experience is preferred.
- Previous training in liquor, wine and food service.
- Certification in an alcohol awareness program.
- Prefer previous guest/customer relations training.
- Minimum of 21 years of age to serve alcoholic beverages.
- Prefer 2 year’s experience as a Bartender or Barback.
- Knowledge of various drink recipes and beverage service standards.
- Good understanding of the English language.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Exert physical effort in lifting/transporting at least 50 pounds. Push/pull carts and other equipment up to 150 pounds.
- Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas.
- Satisfactorily communicate with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
- Work environment – banquet rooms, and all areas of the hotel. Job involves working under variable temperature conditions and noise levels, in indoor and outdoor settings
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 8-hours in length. Must be willing and have the ability to work a varied schedule that includes nights, weekends and holidays.
- Be in proper uniform, with nametag. Employees must wear flat, closed-toe non-slip shoes.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times. Work to resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Communicate effectively with guests as well as team members
- Maintain knowledge of all hotel features/services, hours of operation, special packages and promotions, daily house count and expected arrivals/departures and scheduled daily group activities.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Maintain complete knowledge of service requirements for assigned function:
a) Liquor brands, beers and non-alcoholic beverages ordered.
b) Particular characteristics/description of wines/champagnes ordered.
c) Prices for specified bar selections.
d) Designated glassware, ingredients, preparation method and garnishes required. e) Group name, type of function and expected attendance.
f) Scheduled hours of service.
g) Special requests/arrangements.
h) Location of bar in function room.
i) Order of service.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
- Prepare consumption report promptly according to specified procedures.
- Legibly complete bottle transfer slips and distribute accurately.
- Legibly document designated items on the spill sheet.
- Use all chemicals in accordance with OSHA regulations and hotel requirements. • Complete opening, closing and side duties as assigned
- Maintain and secure a cash bank to perform job functions.
- Obtain method of payment from guests (credit or cash)
- Process all payments according to established hotel requirements, and Commonwealth Lodging Management cash handling S.O.P.’s
- Maintain guest confidentiality at all times.
- Assists in handling emergencies in order to protect our guest and associates, and preserve the building and its systems during the emergency. Must act as quickly and responsibly as possible to return the building to its normal operating status.
- Responsible for knowing and abiding by all department, Commonwealth Lodging Management and hotel policies and procedures. As well as the brand standards, policies and procedures.
- This job description is not intended to provide a complete and comprehensive list of all job duties, requirements and responsibilities. Instead, it is provided as a general overview of the expectations for the position