TheVice President of Legal Affairs is responsible for the multi-jurisdictional corporate legal and compliance function, including employment and labor issues, corporate compliance, diversity program, government affairs, all gaming matters, and other administrative tasks as assigned. Further, this position will address and resolve legal issues and provide counsel to the Company in a manner that supports operations and optimizes business results. Position will work with and manage outside counsel and serve as the primary legal resource for property-level leadership and staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of this job which are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties or requirements are essential job functions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be expected to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” employment relationship.
- Provides next-level guest service to internal and external guests. Demonstrates #AddLife culture in all interactions with guests and co-workers.
- Responsible for creating and fostering an environment of support and motivation for Team Members.
- Serve as the primary legal contact for property-level human resources departments with respect to labor and employment matters and provide information and advice relating to complex employment law, practices and policies, including implementation.
- Responsible for government affairs activities; including compliance with lobbying & contribution rules, legislative analysis and regulatory & administrative reviews.
- Responsible for effectively advising senior management as well as interfacing operationally concerning compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Assist with development projects and new business opportunities, including applications, licensing, transactions and compliance.
- Oversight for property-level compliance with internal control procedures as well as state, federal and other regulatory guidelines.
- Responsible for oversight of the entire compliance function of the organization including all gaming compliance filings and training, including Title 31 filings.
- In coordination with property-level management and corporate leadership, oversees the internal compliance programs with outside examiners and auditors.
- Partner with property-level departments to review and revise Internal Control procedures.
- Assist property-level senior management in all legal matters of compliance, regulatory or employment nature.
- Works with properties and corporate senior management and other business leaders on legal matters concerning the Company.
- As needed, attends meetings and hearings held by gaming regulatory authorities and works closely with the gaming regulator staff on all required reporting as well as filing of motions and petitions.
- Draft responses and position statements as needed for all legal transactions and litigation.
- Selects and/or manages outside counsel as needed, including reviewing their work product, coordinating answers/responses to court filings, reviewing and approving invoices and authorization of payment.
- Assist with company risk management program.
- Resolves problems that are within the position's scope of authority and recommends courses of action to resolve problems that are beyond the scope of authority to the position supervisor.
- Keeps position supervisor informed of relevant activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Regulatory and Compliance Responsibilities
In addition to the other duties described herein, each Team Member has the following responsibilities related to compliance with laws and regulations.
- Attend required training sessions offered by the Company.
- Obtain and retain required license(s).
- Perform the duties described in compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Take the necessary steps to ensure minors are not allowed to gamble or loiter in gambling areas, drink alcoholic beverages, or purchase tobacco.
- Have knowledge of the ordinances, regulations, laws, policies, and procedures relating to the Team Member’s department.
- Have knowledge of the Property’s programs to address problem gaming.
- Report any acts of wrongdoing of which the Team Member may have knowledge.
Reports To: Sr. VP & General Counsel
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school and be licensed to practice law; 10 years or more experience as an attorney, preferably with in-house experience and/or government experience, as well as experience in regulatory compliance and reporting.
- Strong labor and employment and/or gaming background preferred; relevant experience would include law, government, business and/or regulatory agency.
- Bachelor's degree in finance or a business-related field preferred.
A list of physical demands, equipment, & work environment demands can be reviewed in Human Resources. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Peninsula Pacific Entertainment offers a robust benefits package with a choice of medical plans, dental, vision, 401(k), a flexible paid time off program and more! Team members may be required to obtain and maintain a Virginia Racing Commission License.