With a career at HMSHost, you really benefit! We offer:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off (vacation, flex or sick)
- Holiday pay
- Meal and Transportation Benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Company paid life insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Training and exciting career growth opportunities
- Referral program – refer a friend and earn a bonus
The purpose of the F&B Health & Safety Manager is to support and reinforce HMSHost’s commitment to help prevent the spread of communicable diseases, improve restaurant-level health practices and procedures, and increase the level of food safety and workplace safety knowledge among associates. The F&B Health & Safety Manager will execute the essential functions of the position for the purpose of developing and maintaining a culture of safety in the branch/plaza.
- Monitor and maintain a working knowledge of all current and emerging applicable federal, state, and local sanitary, safety, and health regulations, (OSHA, FDA Food Code, Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), etc.) and advise the QA and Risk Management departments of local and state changes that may impact company policies/standards.
- Work with managers and branch leadership to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local sanitary, safety, and health regulations, (OSHA, FDA Food Code, Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), etc.) at each unit.
- Review and manage the Workers Compensation and General Liability claims each period to analyze trends and develop action plans.
- Build relationships with local and state health departments and utilize them as a proactive resource for understanding and ensuring compliance with regulatory standards.
- Identify and analyze the root cause of deficiencies in compliance and develop corrective actions that eliminate the causes of non-compliance and prevent reoccurrence.
- Visit units/concepts daily to observe associate behaviors and verify that all health and safety related protocols are followed.
- Walk the units to observe and detect safety risks; confirm that PPEs are in place and used correctly, equipment is in good working condition. Advise branch/plaza leaders of repair and maintenance issues.
- Ensure all workplace health and safety related postings/signage are visible and up to date e.g., OSHA posters, Workers Compensation, hand washing signage.
- Conduct and support associate training on all health and safety protocols in each location and obtain signoffs; reinforce training through shift meetings, daily/monthly training topics etc.
- Collaborate with local HR/Leadership, to ensure all required documentation (e.g., temp checks, training sign-offs, policy sign-offs, investigation and incident reports) is properly maintained.
- Participate in QA and Risk Management department webinars and other health and safety training as required.
- Mange the ServSafe certification and training processes.
- Chair the Safety Team and encourage participation.
- Follow all required daily/weekly/monthly food safety and workplace safety checklists and audits.
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Reporting relationship and other important information
- The position as described falls under the Fair Labor Standards act as a Exempt position
- The position typically reports to the Senior Director Operations/Director of Operations
- The position is expected to work rotating shifts during various operating days and hours each week; during opening, during busy dayparts, and during closing to monitor restaurant health and safety associates’ work activities during these different days and times
- The QA department and Risk Management will determine how to implement procedures to comply with the regulatory guidelines for food safety, workplace safety, COVID-19 and other communicable diseases.
Knowledge, Skills, and Work Environment
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; Previous experience conducting food safety and workplace safety audits
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; Experience in spotting patterns, investigating outcomes, creating and following up on action plans
- Extensive knowledge of environmental regulations and policies; Demonstrated detailed knowledge of OSHA, FDA Food Code, Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) regulations, and communicable disease health and prevention protocols
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Ability to communicate complex policies and procedures to all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing; ability to effectively communicate with external agencies
- Proficient facilitation and coaching skills; Ability to facilitate and deliver training to both small and large groups; coach one on one and in small groups and monitor compliance with company standards
Experience, Education, Training and Certification
- High School Degree required
- Five or more years of Food and Workplace Safety experience within the restaurant industry
- OSHA and ServSafe Certified or able to complete certifications within 30 days of hire
o ServeSafe Manager Certification (8 hours)
o ServSafe Responsible Alcohol or state required training (2 hours)
o ServeSafe Allergens or state required training (1.5 hours)
o OSHA #7505 Introduction to Incident (Accident) Investigation (7.5 Hours)
o MIT 1 Food Safety
o MIT 1 Workplace Safety
o Comprehensive HAZMAT/BBP
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Drug Free Workplace (DFW)